myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thankyou George McGovern

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coboardhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Thankyou George McGovern Reply with quote

Thank you, Senator McGovern.

My political awakening occurred in August of 1972 watching the DNC convention. As a thirteen year old South Dakotan, I spent the night at my best friend’s house, watching eagerly as each state announced the allegiance of their delegates. At the end of the evening, you won. My friends and I cheered and howled, wakening my friend’s parents. Imagine…someone from our little state running for President! We really did not understand the politics, but it didn’t matter to us. We won!

That November, I again spent the night with my young buddies watching the election returns. I was the only kid who came from a Democrat household in the group. When the results were final, and Nixon won, my friends cheered. I was left with a hollow feeling. My friends noticed my disappointment and consoled me…all agreeing it would have been great if our State would have voted for you. Even though your politics were not always in line with our conservative State, we were proud of you and knew you had our backs.

When the Vietnam War ended, I was fifteen years old. It seemed like an eternity, to me, before I might be drafted to serve. You knew better. You devoted much of your political effort to ending that war. If not for your efforts, I sometimes wonder if all of us in my little group of childhood friends would be around today. You had our backs.

Some years later, I had the chance to meet you. You showed up for a campaign speech while running for re-election to the Senate. It was mid-terms and only a half dozen engineering students showed up for the event. You took it in stride and invited us to join you for coffee in the cafeteria. We sat around a table and discussed politics and foreign policy late into the night. You listened and commented with respect to each of us. At the end of the evening, I thanked you for your efforts in bringing the Vietnam War to an end. You looked me straight in the eye and stated that it was those who served in Vietnam that deserved our gratitude.

While I did not always embrace your politics, I never questioned your commitment to, and love for, this country. You will be missed.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CB--McGovern was the only presidential candidate I ever walked precincts for. He was right on Vietnam, and was very much a man of integrity. I think you would appreciate the Nation's editorial honoring him.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the rapid rightys in my office have been harrassing me all week since Obama issued a beatdown on Thurston. They ask how in the world am I a Democrat, and I tell them that my momma stuck a McGovern pin on my tee shirt in 1972 when I was six, and that was that.
windoggi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first vote.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: