myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Do aluminum booms break ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once hanging around a shop when they decided to go through their stack of old instruction/rental booms to see which ones had trouble, and to salvage any potentially useful parts from ones that were no longer fully usable.

All were aluminum, and apart from a couple that had been bent to kinks, all of the failures were corrosion breakage, or a combination of corrosion and sand resulting in irremediable seize-up.

That said, I own only aluminum booms, mostly because the lower cost is attractive while I am still trying to build basic skills. First season, I disassembled the boom, flushed it with fresh water, and set it out disassembled to dry after every weekend, then spray with McLube Sailkote. Second season I did this less frequently. This season, I'll disassemble and flush at the end of the season, given that some of my sailing now is mid-week.

The Chinook Pro-1 is easy to disassemble. The North Silver is not: the end plug design on the inner telescoping arms is unfriendly. I haven't had the older HPL apart in a while, and cannot recall whether it is easy.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon booms snapped- 2 Fiberspar, 1 Dynafiber..all at the harness lines...aluminum snapped- 2 Chinook... jumping hooked in... yeah, the alum is a bit heavier, and slightly flexier, however in small sizes- 5.8 and under it matters less. I can buy 3 aluminum for the price of 1 carbon...Also, carbon's achilles heel is point impact- like on rocks- think that often contributes to mast failure.. same for booms. Sandy launches it's not so much an issue, but in our local rocks I've definitely gotten all components banged around on the hard bits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: