myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Holding on or not
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
....don't take a fin up the butt, and never-ever (well almost never ever) let go if you are still standing vertical!

Good advice for windsurfing in general Very Happy
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first day at HalfMoonBay shorepound, broke the aluminum extension inside my Ampro wave mast, and nothing else. It snapped about 9" inside the mast, no damage to the mast.
rexi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the comments and advice in this thread, very helpful.

Just starting this proper DTL stuff and have mainly been sailing softer waves that are no problem taking on the head. Although I have sailed pretty big waves before they have been rather soft and easy to deal with compared to that spot. So itīs super helpful to get advice from people used to windsurfing in heavy waves.

That break in the photo was just windsurfed for the first time the day the photo was taken. It is usually a lot heavier than that day but it looks like it might be a "mellow" day like that one coming up later this week. Looking forward to trying to sail it with some friends and will try to use your advice when things go bad! Smile
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocks on the inside look intimidating if you lose your gear.
I like to think, and it's reasonalbly possible, I was the first guy to consistently sail OceanBeachSF, Stinson, 2nd at PaloMarin (Kirby first), 2nd at PedroPt.(AaronWright was first), Asilomar, HalfMoonBay, Limantour, Dillion, PigieonPt., the beach N of PP Lighthouse, Gazos, all before the end of 1984.
It's fun to try new spots, especially after you make it back ashore in one piece.
If you read my post on "maui or mexico", you'd find a few Oahu spots that are not commonly sailed.
chophop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a hard question to answer because there is no really right answer. Though generally is is a good idea to stay with your kit.
I got hurt trying to [keep hold of my kit at Hookipa, It had been a long time since I had been out in sizable waves and these were steep and just about logo big.

No wind and I fell slogging out when another guy fell right in front of me and blocked off my slog path. Down in the water... a set coming in ...I remembered the part about point the rig into the wave but forgot about sinking it before being clobbered. A wave hit me and tried to throw me over the falls and I applied a death grip to the top of the mast. The force was so sudden and violent I lacerated my right hand (little finger) and almost dislocated and badly sprained my left Shoulder.

So the point is don't get hurt to save your gear. Masts can be replaced. Yes hold your gear but only so tight.. if the wave is too explosive; let go.

In my case it was rental gear with insurance purchaced so even if my stuff washed in and got broken not a real big loss. As it was, my surfing vacation was over because you are not supposed to take a bad cut into tropical waters. You will get a bad infection.

So, do not risk life or limb for property.

With getting backwashed and surfing backwards, it usually happens when slogging out at the wrong place or time and you fall windward as the closeout section hits you and, if you just keep hold of the boom, you can ride it out and pop up water start and have another go at it.

A good strategy is to get out and only ride the waves in only so far. Take a good turn or 2 maybe 3, and jybe and go back out and do it again. This works well in big waves. Smile
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big or consistent waves can make you pay the penalty for a mistake, especially one while being in the impact zone. You simply cannot afford a mental or physical error when riding dangerous surf. That's why they always say, big waves are for experts, not intermediates.
Timing the sets is most important. You need to sit there, relax, count the spacing and the # of set waves, and beachstart as the second to last is about to break. That increases your chances of going thru the impact zone during a lull, not a set. Given light winds, slogging, and caught in the wrong place at the wrong time, you can only try to minimise damage, and survive.
Everyone get's caught inside sometimes. The difference is knowing what to do, keep a level head, and use every chance you get to get out of the bad situation. Of course, better to NOT put yourself in danger's path, if at all possible.
spennie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a long piece of leftover adjustable-top webbing and made a small loop on one end for the mast tip, and a big knot on the other, to hold on to. Works great when I can remember to "install" it while rigging. I thought about a loop for my hand but decided that would be dangerous, if I can't hold on, so be it.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea, this line with a stopknot at the end.
At Mok's on Oahu, I saw at least 3 sails with torn heads, from sailors holding on to the excess line that the old sails had to accomodate longer masts than needed or used. This maybe 1989, maybe '88.
I'm a death gripper, using both hands, both elbows, my face, my knees, my torso, and any other body part that can touch the top of my sail.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, way early in my windsurfing career, I was caught outside at OBSF, 6'8' rising swell as it stormed in the winter, to drift with a broken mast 4' from the top where the lip hit it while I was trying to push through in slogging wind conditions. I actually ducked into the tube trying to punch through, but the wave snapped the mast while I was still upright! I heard the pow coinciding with me driving thru the bottom of the tube.
I drifted from TaravalSt. down to IrvingSt., easy a mile, cycling thru the outside sandbar break over and over again on my venture Northward.
Only when I saw someone on the beach (it was pouring rain, about 56 degrees, water 53), did I make the last ditch effort to drag the gear through the deep green dead zone into the 6'+ pounding, dredging sand and seaweed shorepound. I must have held on thru at least 50 rows of overhead whitewater, and over 100 rows of smaller.
The guy standing on the beach ready to help is a current employee of WiseSurfboards. I give him my thanks every time I go in there.
rexi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that story zirtaeb. Things like this are seriously stopping my progress wave sailing. Due to my location and how few windsurfers are on this Island I donīt wave sail as much as I would like to.

I have been sailing the more mellow spots the last few years but the thing is those spots rarely work because they need wind directions that are not common. Most other surfspots are quite serious with small margin for error in terms of drifting to places you donīt want to end up at. Out at sea or up against a rock of rough lava. Those spots would probably not look as intimidating if I had more experience and be good fun to sail for advanced waveriders but iīm lacking experience to sail those, let alone be the first one to sail them since most have never been sailed.

Things are looking better though, found a new place that looks promising for a common wind direction and a couple of sailors are interested in doing more wave sailing so i donīt have to sail alone. That has been my main motto in terms of wave sailing, to not go alone. I do my bump n jump and freestyle sessions solo but try to skip wavesailing sessions if i donīt find company.

Here are a few more shots from that nice sunday http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3202379317971&set=a.3195339141971.106546.1820740056&type=1&theater
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: