myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Does this sound like you?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like getting some feet into the straps before waterstarting. Problem is, I hardly ever fall when there is wind, so most of my rail digs are from flying into a no wind zone, seeing it but what the heck cranking in a hard racer jibe, and the ballgame just stops like now.
I front foot on board to waterstart because the board doesn't drift downwind as I'm trying to get up. With front foot at slog position, maybe 9" behind the mast track, the board stays perpendicular to the wind, using both rails and the fin to resist sliding downwind, giving me the most wind availible to pull my fat ass out of the water ASAP, since my first year of windsurfing was at OceanBeachSF or Waddell.
Bond1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of light wind water starts, when it's really light I'll grab the foot of the sail with my back hand, and the mast, maybe 15 to 20 inches up, with my front hand, and wriggle my way up onto the board.

Worth a try next time the wind leaves you hanging.
ramps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to waterstart on starboard tack with my front foot on the board because of a bad left knee. It takes a beating in marginal start conditions otherwise. If the wind is so light as to have to wiggle on to the board, I will wait for a puff or just body drag back. Schlogging in such light conditions is too tiring.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the wind can hold the sail up, you can waterstart.
THROW the sail higher than your can reach, then quickly grab the foot of the clew and the foot of the mast base.
Some guys roll the board to windward, putting their back of thighs on the board, so you roll up into a sitting position, bend your good leg, place the foot of it on the board, and stand up with help from both your hands. I suspect that is the AndyBrandt method.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, Andy teaches it. But it the wind is that low, unless it just died off, I'm usually on my 100l board, so I just climb up and uphaul Smile Uphauling my 86l board would be a challenge....
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often ride sub 75 liter boards even when the winds are suitable for 5.5 sail sizing, no choice there. 80% of my falls are from winds too light to plane.
As for the reasons why I DON'T waterstart using backfoot first......
With BFF, the board is slightly pointed downwind, so the fin and the rails are sliding downwind more than if the board was aligned perpendicular to the wind. Sliding downwind is not conducive to catching the most air when waterstarting.
With BFF, you step on to the board at it's narrower and less floaty area, necessitating the need for MORE wind to keep you up once you're on your feet. Slogging downwind decreases your wind. Slogging across the wind adds some.
Very Happy BFF, can't roll the board onto it's rail. I've never tried this.
With respect to Andy, who teaches BFF, I think he's full of crock.. Very Happy Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use Bond's approach when necessary, but prefer Ramps' by far now. Unless I'm on a floater (mid 90s at least), Idonwanna stand there and hold my sail up.
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, both feet aboard, butt out of the water. Year's of surfsailing habit is hard to break, and buttfree is faster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: