myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
ARCHIVE: Where We Sailed Today, Thread Part I.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 390, 391, 392 ... 425, 426, 427  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another 300 yards up the road, you launch at Doran, simple tiny shorebreak heading to EsteroAmericano and back. Back in the early '90's, some weekends would see upwards of 75 windsurfers using that launch, sailing outside the break until they get back to the launch.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
Crissy on Tuesday: took one run out on 4.6 and was massively OPd... came back in and rigged 4.2. Wind dropped a bit, but I was fine on 4.2/81 for about 90 minutes, then the wind got even lighter. At least I got to see that AC72 get ebbed out The Gate in person Rolling Eyes

Missed Crissy on Tue: I went for the sure bet Stick. Wind there was a bit less strong 4.7-5.3 until 3:30 pm, than it opened up to a steady 4.7 into the sunset.
bert

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Saturday @ Dumbarton Reply with quote

Had a 5.3 session at Dumbo from 2 to 3:30. Rigged bigger than I wanted cuz it was flooding and I had no desire to get too close to the bridge. Nicely powered and planing the entire session and I regretted not going a bit smaller. The launch site is still fenced in, but all the bridge retrofit hardware is gone so there is access to the water. No CalTrans to chase me away so it was a good day. Funny, seems that Palo Alto a couple miles down was reading 14 while Dumbo had maybe 5 mph more wind.
Rube

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Stick Sat afternoon. Reply with quote

Stick 4-6. Grossly over powered on 5.7, 100l. Still a welcome late season sesh. I must admit I felt rather unskilled amidst all the freestyler hotshots throwing down spinny flippy tricks! Very Happy
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:14 am    Post subject: Blowdega, Sat. Oct. 20 Reply with quote

The usual 155L. Started on 5.7 but it eventually became too much to handle. This is one of the few times when I decided to rig down (to 5.0), with that decision turning out not to be a mistake. 5.0 gave more than enough power, and I got a water start (my first on a sail that small). This was the most power that I've had under a reasonable semblance of control on that sail (generously downhauled).

That big board can be a bit of a trial in the short-period chop that Bodega builds, but the slapping roller coaster ride stayed mostly in control and was fun enough on starboard tack, but my port tack sailing was terrible: left arm and hand were giving up early.

Most people were out on 5.0 to 5.2. One lighter person was on a 3.3 then a 3.7. She's fast even with a small sail.

--- Update, Sun. Oct. 21

Sunday I should have brought the 7.3 that I'd brought Saturday. Mostly just barely enough power on 6.4 to stay upwind. OK conditions for a retry at acclimating to a harness.

Last edited by dsgrntlxmply on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
bert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Oyster to Tigers to Stick Reply with quote

Finally was able to do it after several tries over the years. The conditions were good with strong W to SW winds at the airport, Sierra Pt., and the Stick. 4.7 and 110ltr (to be safe). Flew out of Oyster Pt. at 1 pm to Tigers where 4.2 could have worked. Played around at Tigers for an hour, then blew past the fishing pier to Sierra Pt. and on to the Stick with no lulls. Rested a bit at the Stick to watch the freestylers in action. Decided to head back while the wind was strong and stopped planing by the marina entrance before I was able to pick up wind again. Played some more at Tigers before ending the 2 hr session. Felt great not only at doing it and I'm sure its been done by others, but because I did it on a 4.7 and I was planing 95% of the time. It will truly be a perfect day if the Giants win tonight Smile
kevinkan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow that's awesome! was that you on the Naish sail and yellow RRD?
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
bert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
Yeah, that was me. The ride, despite the size of the board, was pleasurable. Can't say enough about the new school of really short, really wide and thin, bigger boards (volume wise) that are coming out. They plane quickly, turn well and feel small so you don't feel like you're getting beat up in stronger wind and chop. Also, they are easier to uphaul and tack should the conditions require it. Been real happy to add this board to my quiver this past year.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stuff...
In Sept. 1983, JohnChilds discovered FlyingTigers from the Oyster launch, with us (ColinGift, GlenShot) staying upwind at Oyster. John had trouble staying in the little cove, so needed the long reach to get back upwind a bit. He sailed just N of SierraPt., then back S well past the old CoastGuard station at the N end of the airport.
Those guys just needed somewhere longer than Oyster, so we started sailing Tigers.
Yesterday at Berkeley, 6.5 and 120 slalom board, but anyone who really knew how to sail would have used a 5 meter sail and 85 liter board, winds from 18-27 most of 1.5 hours.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy
Oh. Those old 9' poly glass boards were really smooth, us thinking FlyingTigers as dead flat waters, Oyster as smoother.
Yesterday again, in winds of 17 to 28, me 150 lbs., a little bumpy with a 276 x 60 cm light wind slalom board at high tide Berkeley, but would have been dry after 1.5 hours, had I not slipped on the slick deck 3 times.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 390, 391, 392 ... 425, 426, 427  Next
Page 391 of 427

Jump to: