myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
bigger board and sail for WAVES
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

20 liter jump is a good gap.
Be aware, Amarie can uphaul either board if the winds drop.
So, 95 and 115 is recommended again.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbdogg:

S-Cross 115, from a few years ago. now that makes me realize which board you are asking about. it sails great in flat water. i have not tried it in the surf. if it's the regular construction, it has a center foot strap position, if the grey pro edition, it does not. S-Cross has a bias toward blasting, not waves, but it turns really well....

ctwindsurf:

get your adz up here and demo my 111 X-Wave. it may be exactly what you have been looking for. the only OES boards i've tried (one year they sent 2 for a test) had gnarlaroo rockers. they were nearly non-planing in florida. they may be fantastic boards in fast breaking, hollow, choppy huge surf, but they had no planing in shiddy florida stuff.

yesterday, i became fixated on planing first. the forecast was pretty sexy, yet the conditions did not deliver, again. i ended up sailing the X-Cross 130 and an 8.0 in DTL small conditions. was that "normal?" sane? got me some rides. everyone else did the same old crap: sat on the beach and bitched. small boards and multi fins may be great in other places, but in lots of others it ain't.

people don't like me preaching about going bigger or long board, they'd rather waste another day? if one is at the beach, shouldn't one want to do what one came there for?

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/xcross.php

i started liking this board after accepting the fact that one has to sail it with lots of sail. also, i liked it more with deep foot straps for sailing the waves. it's fine for blasting around, but it's built for turning.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At ~165 pounds, my most common wavesailing setup is a 6.8 Aerotech Phantom (rigs on 430 with 30-something extension), which I pair with an Exocet Cross 106.

In onshore and side-oneshore conditions that combo is perfect for about about 15-20 mph. I use a fairly powerful 32 cm fin to help with planing and staying upwind.

In perfect sideshore or side-offshore conditions with clean waves and minimal current, the same combo will be good fun in as little as 10-15 mph. In those cases I use a traditional wave fin <26 cm.

The 106 liter board is also nice with smaller sails when the wind is strong but inconsistent.

I also sail longboard waveboards / sups when conditions are really light and crappy, but as soon as I can plane decently on the 6.8 / 106 liter board, that's what I generally prefer to be on.

PS- The Exocet Cross is a wave and freeride oriented board, but the Exocet "Scross" is a slalom and freeride oriented board- very different end of the spectrum.

btbill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a nice "demo" week all along the US East Coast coming for waves and light wind per this thread?!

TS Rafael ground swell and light S wind forecast (mid-teens at least here on the OBX today!) Side to side-off conditions.

4.5m Legend and SeaLion Pro loaded and ready! Very Happy
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John I and Douglass: thanks for the info- definitely not the board I want.. unfortunately, budget is low so I'll keep looking..
d0uglass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobbdogg-

Angulo should have some real good wave / freestyle-wave boards in the 100+ liter range that will make your wavesailing easier and more rad at the same time. I would definitely hit him up if you're living in the NE.

-James

PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ 165lbs my lightwind (planing) wave set up is a 110 liter JP Freestyle (69cm wide) and a Maui Sails 6.2 Global (430 mast) which has loads of grunt if you let the outhaul out a bit. Seen here at The Bowl, eastern Long Island. Where do you sail?

6a00d8341c890753ef01157142e9af970b-800wi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  61.13 KB
 Viewed:  8498 Time(s)

6a00d8341c890753ef01157142e9af970b-800wi.jpg

gobbdogg

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sail RI- south coast- 180 # and 5.8 sail is my biggest for waves... I figure something around 115 liters will have me out there- right now my floatiest board is 90.. but I need a solid 20mph to do much- and that is very marginal- no good if it's heavy current time and onshore. I have sailed it okay in 18-20... but that was favorable conditions... Really don't want to take more sail out- just a bit more float- but I have to be able to motor upwind and ride waves too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: