myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jump board?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd better ride the E-rock again. In the mid '90's, with a good sailor aboard, it could beat Slabs, Energy's, Sputniks, and any custom on the water, and did at times.
Maybe try a 13" pointer, not blade, straps back and track all the way back, for someone 190 lbs.
Fast guys my size often run wide front straps to move the feet back, turn the rear straps around so the rear mount is backwards, allowing your backfoot farther back than the normal setup. Run booms higher than normal, to raise the nose for topspeeds.
It's a fact around the SFBayArea, that the fast guys on E-Rocks were no slower than any other top expert level sailor on any other board.
Of course, you gotta fair the negative rocker and replace the finbox with a Tuttle.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use it with the old windwings now, the mast track is way to far forward. Tempo seems fast to me, and its always more of a challenge to keep it from jumping than to get it in the air.. Im hoping to check out craigs little slalom board this weekend and see how much faster that is , hoopefully my words will be shoved right back down my throat by the apparent wind Very Happy
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you measure the track position on E-Rock, all the way back, I think you get something like 58". Possibly a little farther back, one bolt base.
That is good enough for pro level slalom sailing. I've seen a couple locals around here with E-Rock that advanced 5 rounds in the Stroh'sWorldCupSlalom races, against the top pro slalom sailors from Europe, hanging in there is board speed, but making dumb mistakes to eliminate themselves by the finals. This against the likes of Dunk, Bringdahl, Christenson, Naish, Shrader, Sayre, Aguerra, and the like on their custom slalom boards.
OTOH, if you think a Tempo is fast, I have no business talking to you.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This weekend looks a little rainy, but there might be some wind out
at Doug's

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
I only use it with the old windwings now, the mast track is way to far forward. Tempo seems fast to me, and its always more of a challenge to keep it from jumping than to get it in the air.. Im hoping to check out craigs little slalom board this weekend and see how much faster that is , hoopefully my words will be shoved right back down my throat by the apparent wind Very Happy
mchaco1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
If you measure the track position on E-Rock, all the way back, I think you get something like 58". Possibly a little farther back, one bolt base.
That is good enough for pro level slalom sailing. I've seen a couple locals around here with E-Rock that advanced 5 rounds in the Stroh'sWorldCupSlalom races, against the top pro slalom sailors from Europe, hanging in there is board speed, but making dumb mistakes to eliminate themselves by the finals. This against the likes of Dunk, Bringdahl, Christenson, Naish, Shrader, Sayre, Aguerra, and the like on their custom slalom boards.
OTOH, if you think a Tempo is fast, I have no business talking to you.

Ill have to try the erock again with modern sails. The tempo IS fast...compared to the spoon, F2 wave,etc..I dont have a full slalom board to compare it to (yet).
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No speculation here, I've sailed all those boards, owned most of them at one time or another, and knew tons of windsurfers in those days, the mid '90's. Tempo has a little rocker thru the whole tail, but was nice and wide for it's time. More like a fun freeride, even Bic didn't advertise it as a fast board.
OTOH, for learning to jump, you already have this board, and it's great for 6 meters down to 4.5's Just don't wonder if it's you or the board when you don't jump nearly as hgh as other sailors.
macesix

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Craig

p.s. I have a Randy French 75 Ltr slalomish board that is in primo
shape and would make a great jump board. I couldn't give it away at the
last swap.[/quote]

That board was like $1195 in 1997.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Windsurf mag said that Seatrend HWS was one of the fastest, but a little rough riding. I have the 8'8" RogueWave still, the fastest, and used it maybe 5 days this season.
It's sad the new generation of windsurfers just don't appreciate the old stuff, even though the old stuff could perform much better than any of the new boards, given some rider skill.
How many times have we heard...."I had that board in 1995, it didn't turn worth a nickle and was hard to plane".... but that person was a BEGINNER in 1995.
We need only to glance at RIP, or HardWindsaBlowin, to see the old stuff working at it's peak.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Yup, Windsurf mag said that Seatrend HWS was one of the fastest, but a little rough riding. I have the 8'8" RogueWave still, the fastest, and used it maybe 5 days this season.
It's sad the new generation of windsurfers just don't appreciate the old stuff, even though the old stuff could perform much better than any of the new boards, given some rider skill.
How many times have we heard...."I had that board in 1995, it didn't turn worth a nickle and was hard to plane".... but that person was a BEGINNER in 1995.
We need only to glance at RIP, or HardWindsaBlowin, to see the old stuff working at it's peak.

I think its just because they assume its old and useless and never try it. Ive taken a liking to a lot of the older stuff. It sucked before I could get everything together, but now narrowness and volume distribution isnt really an issue anymore, Ive been having a good time with my older boards. They have their drawbacks, mostly in the foot pad/strap areas, but those things can be overcome. All the emphasis on ease of use seems to have taken some of the excitement out of things.
tweeky

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mchaco1 wrote:
All the emphasis on ease of use seems to have taken some of the excitement out of things.

How's the forward loop coming? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 4 of 9

Jump to: