myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
East Coast Speed Quest
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will confirm mr. lees recommendation of the convert. i used a 10,25(26 cm?)
on am 80 l kinetic slalom which was nearly full=on speed narrow with 5,9 or 6.1 multicams back in the day and scared myself silly more than a few times. no gps back then and speed guns were hard to scam. too small to get upwind on, but if you use ninigret on a NW you can use the length of the pond and walk back, just like the french trench. always gusty so look for really big days of gusts into the 40s and you will get some good speeds there.
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for JamesChen of Kinetic between 2000 and 2004. Loved that JeanBoldois 80 liter slalom.
paulf.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too, but at 215# didn't get to use it a lot. bought it to try to keep up with my buddy on the thommen/f2/dunkerbeck 270 of the day. i liked the width flow compared to the 270 which was wide upfront and narrow in the back. the 8;10 had a little thickness in the tail to help me out. the board might still be in cape hatteras on consignment, but possibly lost in the transitions of wind nc shop.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thommens seemed to have too much widepoint and then a super narrow tail, which made hard laydown jibes dig the rails at the midpoint, causing the board to slow down. We could lay over much harder on the Boldoius Kinetics and the JimmyLewis ones the following years.
I rode the 80, the 85, and the 90 liter models of those.
He made a great 270 all around board, very similar to my RandyFrench 102 that does everything decently, nothing really well.
It's too bad James decided to pursue fiberglass boats and then stopped making boards. He was really knowledgeable about what shapes do and what they don't do, how to make them work, and how to modify molds so the changes were exact.
fitz@qis.net

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: East Coast Speedquest Reply with quote

Thanks for starting this event, I subscribed on GPS Speedsurfing, uploaded a track from 9-18-12 to http://www.ka72.com/ but I don't see how that event is automatically added to GPS Speedsurfing.

So I also used the "upload track" feature on GPS speedsurfing and my session is shown on the East Coast Speedquest event page. Please let me know if there are extra steps to take after calculating the speeds on the ka72 site.

Thanks,

Roger
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger, welcome to the East Coast Speed Quest! Uploading the file to GPS-Speedsurfing and analyzing it there is fine. The numbers will show some small differences from the KA72 numbers because of slightly different analysis options, but these differences can usually be ignored.

The posting on KA72 is so that others can look at your tracks if they want to, and so that we have a uniform set of analysis parameters if any speeds are so close that the parameters matter. That probably won't matter since Dean is so much faster than anyone else - unless Roo or Boro come over to the East Coast to show us some real speedsurfing (they both had 40 knot runs before).
DeanWithrow

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Roger, welcome to the "Voodoo Chop Speed Quest Very Happy
Don't listen to Peter! You've posted speeds over 34 knots... you're
more then capable of taking this down. Didn't we meet in Hatteras?
Don't feel bad about the lack of flat water, we're all cursed to watch
others skimming along on glass. Rolling Eyes

I'm thinking we'll have to make our own floating speed course. They
used to set one up near the Buxton slick/Canadian Hole back in the day.
Jealous.

We have a big SW day coming up and the flat water search will go on!
I spotted a sand spit out on Long Island...
Dean Cool

outcast

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hit the inside of the Point Judith breakwater, you could sail basically at the Matunuck thing on Sunday....
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know how to get a GPS track out of a Garmin Foretrex and into a Mac? I've got the Garmin and would love to play, but the interface my unit came from only hooks up to old PCs (maybe it hooks up to new PC's too, but I no longer have one.)

Any joy?

npiankov

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael, I believe you have a COM port cable with your Garmin. There are USB-to-COM converter cables our there, I bet you can get one for around $10, so you'd be able to connect up with the more modern machines. Maybe you already considered this and your issue is different - then not sure...

Nikita.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: