myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody rode a 120liter good jiber?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice would be a Naish Freestyle board at 115 liters. Great for learning (or perfecting) the carve jibe. Down side is rough ride in chop, but it planes through a lot of stuff. It's my low wind board (5.2 maybe to 6.2 for 180pound sailor) to work on old school freestyle moves. And you need the board to plane through jibes to work on those.....

So if you live/sail in small to moderate chop, it's a great choice....
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choice, a pure freestyle board, of the correct volume, for learning or perfecting jibes.
Forward inboard straps favor it.
Limited topspeeds also favor jibing.
Wide templates and curvy outline, coupled with track well back favors smaller sails.
Light board weight is responsive and fun, but as said, can be bouncy.
Might be a very good choice.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnl does freestyle, so he benefits from his, but the bouncy part, for which freestyle boards are absolutely notorious, would be a total deal-breaker for me. A bud got to be an impressive freestyler on his FS board, but he whined abut its extremely rough ride the whole time, even to potential buyers when he spent years trying to sell it. I'll never forget a guy who was told by our local guru that he should buy pure race gear -- hard as a rock sails with cams out the wazoo and razor-railed, pounding, fragile, 1990-ish race boards with big straight fins -- just to learn how to windsurf. Niche boards are fine within their limitations, but those limits are important. IMO, The OP REALLY should test drive a FS board on a choppy day before even considering buying one just because they jibe easily.

That's where swaps are great. I consider resale value when I buy swap meet boards I'm not sure of, and overall have sold the ones I didn't keep for a profit ... well-earned by the thorough reconditioning and improvements I give them and my honest assessment of their performance and condition. Raiding swap meets for treasures is what got me started on hoarding the best wave boards I can find, and it changed my sailing life for the better.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt we can reco wave boards in this case because so few exist, and most need some wind. OP might not be in an area with lots of wind.
Most knowledgeable sailors would say a FSW, anything newer than 2002, or around then, is good turning, relatively smooth, fast enough, planes up enough, to be used as a main salling board.
I hesitate to ever recommend specific companies, because I know almost every company makes the board for your needs. Every sailor is different, and would favor different characteristics.
And few sailors have the knowhow to delineate good jibing boards from bad jibing boards while they're in the process of learning to jibe.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP lives in or very near the Gorge, claims to jibe just fine on smaller gear, has access to Gorge swap meets and consignment shops, and is seeking a comparable board for marginal winds ... in the 18-20 mph range @ 195 pounds on some of the Gorge's flatter water.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone really NOT recommend a FSW board around 120 liters?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha ... probably not ... in those conditions.
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. Everyone thinks freestyle boards are just for freestyle. They aren't. I don't even do the new stuff just the old stuff which in nothing more than fancy jibes. If it works for fancy jibes imagine how it works for regular jibes. Both my 115 and 100 liter boards are both Naish Freestyle boards and they are great. I can't tell you how many times I've come in after planing on a smaller sail and board and everybody wants to know what size I was on cause they couldn't stay on a plane and I was the whole time.

Oh yeah they can also be faster than you think. I get pretty good GPS speeds on mine. Rough but quick. Not racing quick but fair speeds. And if somebody is looking for a 120 l board either they are really big or want something for the lighter wind days...
stringp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May just end up talking to the Open Ocean guys to find out the size limit for their epoxy boards. Nothing I have ridden has the OO combination of speed and manuveribility. May as support the local guy. Deffinately don't want a bouncer at my age.
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stringp wrote:
May just end up talking to the Open Ocean guys to find out the size limit for their epoxy boards. Nothing I have ridden has the OO combination of speed and manuveribility. May as support the local guy. Deffinately don't want a bouncer at my age.

Your age??? I'm 58 and it isn't a problem. I would rather have good technique then ride a board that hides it..... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: