myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jump board?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Jump board? Reply with quote

Ive been having more fun in high winds lately on my bargain swap meet slalom board (Bic Tempo) than on my wave boards...Are there any reasonably priced older boards that are similar to the custom "jump boards" in design?
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term "jump board" generally refers to tough construction, not shape. At swap meet prices, where a busted board "machts no nichts", any board that will maneuver well enough to nail a bump and go fairly fast will get good air. Within reason, jumping is more dependent on skills than on the board. The swap meets are full of boards that will take a good jumper to the moon. I've seen guys get 6 feet of air under their fin on an absolutely flat mirror surface (offshore winds, in knee-deep water barely off shore) by burying the tail, loop longboards, loop on 1' bumps, etc. Speed + any bump + skill = enough air to scare you initially. Add a ramp and the sky's the limit on any fast board. Light weight adds a bit of altitude to chop hops, but mass cancels out of the equation in big air off ramps.

Fast wave boards -- the swaps are full of them (e.g., JPs, Goyas, Quatros, many more from late 90s through mid-00s) -- work fine when powered way up to get full speed; that last manageable half-square-meter shifts them into top gear ... yet another reason to rig big. Their maneuverability helps nail your targeted bump. Wider tails help lift off bumps, but are generally slower, so there are tradeoffs since speed = altitude potential. It's also very helpful to try getting air off every slight lump; it develops your skills and you'll be surprised how much jump you can get off dang near anything with the right skills and major speed. And once again, the instant your fin clears the water, look straight up (while hooked in).
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like a slalom board for jumping, but they don't last very long
if jumped high and long. They still make great jump boards, even in
the Gorge, just figure to replace them after a year of 2, and realize,
that they aren't much fun to swell ride with.

-Craig

p.s. I have a Randy French 75 Ltr slalomish board that is in primo
shape and would make a great jump board. I couldn't give it away at the
last swap.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooops
-Craig

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time ago on an island far far away there was a machine known as a mini-slalom board. About 8'4, 75 liters, with a flat rocker, moderate tail volume, narrower tail, hard release at the back but a bit more nose scoop and softer rails up front. These were very, very fast and used to get rocket air yet could be jibed in nasty chop and on wave faces without much issue. They were not wave boards by any definition then or now. They also had a jump patch of cloth on the deck, double stringers and a reinforced deck box. Pretty modern construction, actually.

To get big air you need big speed and that's easier to achieve with flatter rockers and higher-volume rails. Basically, this describes Dale Cook's boards. He uses slalom race fins as well.

mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DanWeiss wrote:
Long time ago on an island far far away there was a machine known as a mini-slalom board. About 8'4, 75 liters, with a flat rocker, moderate tail volume, narrower tail, hard release at the back but a bit more nose scoop and softer rails up front. These were very, very fast and used to get rocket air yet could be jibed in nasty chop and on wave faces without much issue. They were not wave boards by any definition then or now. They also had a jump patch of cloth on the deck, double stringers and a reinforced deck box. Pretty modern construction, actually.

To get big air you need big speed and that's easier to achieve with flatter rockers and higher-volume rails. Basically, this describes Dale Cook's boards. He uses slalom race fins as well.

Thats pretty much what im looking for. Any names to go with the great description? Laughing Dale Cooks board is basically what I was going for I saw his and Antonio Blancos boards at the hatch and thought they looked like just what I would want for a big east wind day or for having fun at stevenson, but I certainly cant afford to call up roberts and order one.

I have a fast wave board (F2 wave), but it feels tame compared to the Tempo. My quatro FSW is fast too but it is too specific in the conditions it likes. The Tempo blast through chop and jumps like crazy but all that length and volume in the air in high winds is a problem.

I dont really ride swell usually so a slalomy board that doesnt do swell is not a big problem ( and I have wave boards for that if I want to).
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a scale of one to 10, one being a sideshore wave board and 10 a fast narrow modern slalom board, your Tempo is a 4. 264 maybe a 3.
Get an Energy, Veloce, Vicace, Sputnick, Bee, all for less than 100 bucks.
Those are close to 8's out of 10.
Get a RoqueWave 8'10" (don't you weigh 190?), HyperTeck 8'8", Preisters, Pettits, and you're close to 90's.
Get a year 2000 slalom board, and you're at 10.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should try out my French board. It is pretty much identilcal
in design to what Dan described. PM me if you'll be in HR this
coming weekend, maybe you can get a ride on it.

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
[I dont really ride swell usually so a slalomy board that doesnt do swell is not a big problem ( and I have wave boards for that if I want to).
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, I've been using the 1994 RoqueWave high wind slalom 8'8"er, the fastest of all the "bump n jump" boards as tested by the magsthose mid '90's years. I cut off the nose to make it 220cm in length. Now it's 220 x 49.5cms, dead flat rocker, slight accelerating V out the back.
Used to ride Preisters and 8'8" and 8'4" HiPerTechs.
Have a 2002 French also, that jumps pretty well.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
You should try out my French board. It is pretty much identilcal
in design to what Dan described. PM me if you'll be in HR this
coming weekend, maybe you can get a ride on it.

-Craig

mchaco1 wrote:
[I dont really ride swell usually so a slalomy board that doesnt do swell is not a big problem ( and I have wave boards for that if I want to).

Awesome, ill see if the weather cooperates...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: