myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Anybody rode a 120liter good jiber?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Better"? Gotta define one's performance priorities to answer that. "Different"? Absolutely. The best explanation of the differences I've seen is at
http://tinyurl.com/9zq4dvg .
I've been raiding huge swap meets for years, armed with personal reports and magazine reviews, studying and selectively buying wave boards over a range from 1999 to 2010. I own MANY of the boards discussed in that article, I wrote hundreds of board performance reviews published in a WSing magazine, and I was amazed how closely I agreed with the article, right down to many small details. I've beaten my opinions on this topic to death, as you can find by using the search button above with the word Stubby as a key word and entering isobars as author.

My bottom line: I concur with the article cited that wider boards are fine on smooth water (including waves), but add significant chop and power and they're rougher riding (downright hammering in some instances), slower, less slashy at speed, and less manageable when overpowered in big gusts or when simply overrigged. Most specifically, I far prefer the back-foot-in-the-straps heel'n'toe insane slashing ability I find in most of the older boards and few of the wider ones. For all those reasons, I prefer the older, somewhat narrower and longer wave boards except when early planing is my primary concern, which is rare. I can afford new stuff, but I FAR prefer sailing my narrower waveboards than any of the hand-picked, highly regarded, wider board I own or have tested. The $10-$200 price tags for my favorite boards are just icing on the cake.

HOWEVER, my opening post in this thread was aimed directly at your opening post, which implies to me that you may not know how to turn a board well, in which case you need to improve your skills significantly. That, or your present boards are sharp-railed, straight-line savants, in which case any turny board might light your fire.

Mike \m/
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For $200, you will get, at best, a 118 liter BicVeloce/MistralShredder.
That might be a little too old school for your tastes.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've not been to enough Gorge swap meets.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll send you 200, you hit a few swap meets and send me a NaishGP 110 in good condtion.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got yer Goyas and Naishes and Quatros and JPs and Evos and Maui Projects and Fanatic Freewaves and Rogue Waves and Rutgers and Wave Cults and Power Waves and Maui Forces and Bonzers and Shifts and Drops -- multiple models and sizes of many of those -- all carefully chosen from each mfr's models and years. Some ARE brand new, many look brand new, some show some wear, a few have repairs, and every one but the Freewave is original weight (even less in one case). Prices ranged from $10 (a Naish Wave scalpel with a repaired nose) to $675 (my '08 Naish Pro 1111 bought new in 2008 with a warranty ). Many of them were ≤ $200 (the highly custom 2010 Mark Nelson cost a whopping $600 in 2011, and the unused 2008 Evo XTV cost all of $400 ... in 2008). Some of my choicest favorites cost $10-$100 and look new from 10 feet away.

If you want one specific make/model/year, it may take you a season or even a few seasons of swap meets, depending on the board, but with a broad enough shopping list one can score big pretty quickly, as Stringp knows. I've struck out at some swaps after my list got really short, but I also bought half a dozen from my short list at one meet. When ya find 3 or 4 of the same make/model/year at one swap, prices drop quickly. Scores of 110L boards jibe just fine, so finding one of them shouldn't be a challenge despite the big size.

Of course, one pie-eyed dreamer has been asking the same $1,500 for the same board at 10-20 swaps for years now. He apparently doesn't actually want to sell it; it's obviously overpriced by close to a grand.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez Iso, you truly have no clue.....I stand by my original complaint; you really can't just give a straight answer. If you're the guy "teaching how to fish" your students are doomed to starve to death.
I think everyone would prefer my sardines to your coma-inducing "lessons".

PennyB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My low wind board is a 112L Angulo Super Gu. Easy to turn, lots of fun and a bargain at $150.
Penny
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my vote would be an Angulo Sumo in the 120 Ltr range.
Great jibing big board.

-Craig
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Geez Iso, you truly have no clue.....I stand by my original complaint; you really can't just give a straight answer. If you're the guy "teaching how to fish" your students are doomed to starve to death. I think everyone would prefer my sardines to your coma-inducing "lessons".

So it’s your way or the highway? Sorry, guy, but that’s not what makes bulletin boards work. Their strong point is that anyone can contribute and the readers get to decide what they want to read, think, and believe. What a concept: self-determination and personal choices; only a diehard political fringe zealot (or most of one party) would object. Some people want to actually learn something not only useful but broadly applicable, and that takes more space. If I wanted to limit my comments to 140 characters, I’d be on Twitter with the rest of the ADD generation.

That's the instant gratification generation's problem, not mine. Your post implies the OP's primary problem is the equipment, rather than his jibing skills. I and Boardseeker magazine disagree; see their review on the Naish Enduro 120 at http://tinyurl.com/8qcfzqc ; they say it's a good jiber. Ditto the Carve 122 at http://tinyurl.com/96cdkqv . I could have just answered “Synchro” (I phoned a big national-level dealer I trust who carries many brands and asked them “What’s the turniest hundred-and-teens-liter board ya got?” “Synchro”, they said. “I’ll take it”, sez I), but what good is “Synchro” going to do for sailor who probably hasn’t learned the basic principles of carving ANY board? In four short phrases I helped him learn to carve turns (full jibes require more verbage, of course) on anything from a wave banana to a razor-railed old-style race board … maybe even a Formula or a Go, for all I know.

What’s the OP going to do with a dozen sailors’ lists of their 20 favorite 115-liter boards … buy ‘em all? Spend two seasons and many hundreds of dollars demoing them? Throw a dart? Keep buying boards until one of them turns … never realizing that what REALLY happened was that he learned HOW to turn? At best, maybe the OP could use that list of 20 boards as a swap meet shopping guide, supplementing it from a decade of magazine tests; with a list of 30 easy turners he'd be like a border collie in the path of a jackrabbit drive (seen it!). But he still needs to know how to turn. Peoplecan argue individual boards 'til the cows come home, but so far no one's ever disputed those four carving tips. In fact, the first time I posted them, Wardog said something like, "I can see that you know how to carve turns".

Another tip: This is a windsurfing question, not a northwest question. It would get more readers and answers in the technique forum. Heck, the OP's list might hit 40 boards even without the magazine tests, guaranteeing a swap meet coup ... once he learns how to turn.

Sorry … uh, NOT … if I write for people who want to learn facts, opinions, and/or alternatives and engage their brains; there are enough Tweeters (and Twits) here as it is.
stringp

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an example I found an F2 Ride 103 at a swap meet for $60 and a fat Open Ocean in a pawn shop basement for $150. Both are fun to ride great jibing boards. Being confined by work in the AM and gas prices and parking in the PM I end up sailing at Stevenson in the afternoon. Winds are reliable but often max out around 20. Which is just the limit of the sail size I can carry on the above. I will check out the recommendations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: