myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wave Sailing Rocker

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gtate4200@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:12 pm    Post subject: Wave Sailing Rocker Reply with quote

Can anyone give me some general guidance on wave sailing windsurfers in the 7.5 to 8 foot range? What range should I be looking for? What is the trade off for planning versus surfing? Many thanks.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean a treatist on wave sailing rocker evolution?
Kinda a big call.
Personal preference plays a huge role.
How many fins are we talking?
Sideshore, sideoff, or side on?
Emphasis on jumping and pinching to catch waves or actual riding DTL?
Look at current wave boards. Most have less rocker than 20 years ago, but are wider than the old boards.
And of course, manufacture perferences, as some go for increased tail rocker, while other's prefer a flatter tail rocker.
gtate4200@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thx zirtaeb, I am looking for a board that will give me some fun in Florida smallish beach break. Generally hard on shore, but the occasional groomed offshore day. I know I will need to cruise the outside and pick carefully, but I want to make sure I am not underestimating the wave riding needs. So, waist high plus junky beach break, afternoon seabreeze. Thruster setup, no jumping, just riding. I am looking for something in the 8 to maybe 9 foot range, if there is such a thing.

all the best
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Length doesn't tell you or us much, as there are hundreds of boards in the size ranges you've suggested that would be great fun in your conditions. So far, the biggest unknowns are probably what you weigh and what your wind strength and quality are.
LeeD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to post your volume requirements, sail sizing, and your sizing.
Currently, there are few wave riding choices over 100 liters. So if you're a big guy, a custom board might be in order.
Then wind strengths. Some use SUP's in Florida, while other's make do with 120 liter FSW's.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i spend about 80% of my sailing days in florida surf. one does need planing over turning. what good is turning if one cannot plane, correct?

as an example of what worx well for me:

they plane early, go fast in order to out run trouble in the impact zone. ride waves pretty darn well too.

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/cross4.php

curve 11'5 has worked well for me and gotten me on the water 5-6 times more than anyone else for years prior to the SUP'ing thing. i still haven't SUP'ed much, but windSUP lots.

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/curve.php

windSUP 11'8 gets me on the water the soonest.

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/wind-sup.php

not believing in the multi fin thing much. adds more drag than ability to accelerate for me. another application of maui being over emphasized for mainland. i see far too many people getting little to zero time in florida with quatro's and the like. save your money and frustration and get something with planing and instant top end instead.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Fort Pierce, Florida for two years and sailed both a "true" waveboard (Starboard Evo 83 liters) and a "freestyle-wave" board (Exocet Cross 106 liters). I still have both boards, but now I'm on the west coast of Florida where there's no wind and no waves. SIGH.

Anyway, both boards can plane, but the lower volume and wavier rocker of the Evo means that it requires significantly more wind to plane than the Cross does. Also, because of the low volume and short length, it's very difficult to even make it go at all in less than fully planing conditions. So unless I have enough wind to consistently waterstart and plane with a 5.5 or smaller sail (about 20 mph for my 160 pounds), I leave the Evo in the van and use the Cross.

Sometimes even when I could potentially be using the Evo I still use the Cross, because it's nice to have the extra speed and acceleration when you're trying to get out through the waves.

Basically, unless the wind is very strong and consistent, which is extremely rare in Florida, you are better off with a freestyle wave board than a pure wave board.

5-15 mph: Use a sailable SUP or something like the Exocet Curve 11'5" or 10'5".

15-20 mph: Use a freestyle waveboard with enough volume that it planes early and you can uphaul the sail if you need to.

20-25 mph: Can use a freestyle waveboard or a pure waveboard depending on your preference.

25+ mph: Most likely want to be on a pure waveboard, but some actually will still prefer the freestyle waveboard.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing i forgot to mention. upwind power comes from a straighter rocker and more powerful rail up front. cross boards have the perfect blend of rocker, thickness flow and planforms for most florida dayz in waves. i get my best backside aerials with either the curve 11'5 or the cross 114 and 104.

my favorite all time wave board is the 205 Exo-Wave 105 Pro edition. never seen its equal since. it does, however, kinda stink on flat water. just a bit too much orientation for waves. that's why i recommend the cross.

i have the X-Wave 111, but have not had a truly good day to compare it vs the 105.

BTW, i believe the emphasis on going short is getting a bit over done. 245 length seems to be about perfect for my needs.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The design industry has to go overboard beyond reason, then pull back the design to something more reasonable, as you know.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1984, while working at WiseSurfboards, I ordered a 7'7" x 23" twin fin swallow tail wave riding board from RobinProdanovich (Local Motion). I specified thickness, rocker every 12", bottom shape (slight rolled V to deep flat V with 1/4" rocker every 6" from center of straps thru the tail), 40 cm wide tail OFO, with slalom placement double outside rear straps.
Robin had Rusty and some Brewer shapers over to look at this abberation, and most joked it was exactly that.
Well, fast forward to 2012, and guess what, it's STATE OF THE ART light to medium wind wave riding specs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: