myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
sailing central coast on 9-29?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Start your bottom turn while you're heading slightly DTL, instead of heading straight in to the beach, this preserves board momentum so you can head straight up past the shoulder, with speed, to allow you to cutback/off the lip with board speed.
2. Move you wave fin forwards so half the base is under your backfoot, which is in the straps, in it's most rearward position.
3. While laying down the sail is great for photos, your key is to try to drag you back knee into the water while bottom turning. Pull the sail back to add more weight to your bottom turns.
4. Of the top, off the lip, pull the sail back forwards and open up (sheet out) to assist in bringing your board back down the wave.
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of board are you riding? Single fin, quad? Because your bottom turn can be greatly effected by the board you are riding. However:

Most intermediate wave sailors pop wheelies and ride in the back seat when bottom turning. I'll still do it when I am tired and not focusing. It is very difficult to initiate a ripping bottom turn that projects you vertical, if you are in the backseat.

Single fin or quad, work on engaging the front foot more, so you engage your rail more. A fully engaged rail will WANT to hook up, and carve up vertically.

You can't turn a ski sharply if you aren't forward and carving. Same thing for a windsurf board or even a surfboard.

The best way to practice it is in less than critical situations. Pick a head high day, and just practice ripping those turns without too much focus on your top turn. The top turns are easier anyway.

A strong wavesailor, has a real bottom turn. It sets everything else up.

I know, because I DIDN'T have one for a long time and wondered why I couldn't aerial or hit the lip with consistency. I faked it and got lucky.

Thank you Jason Diffin for breaking that one down for me.

Now, setting that rail in the pit and feeling the rail hook up and shoot up the wave face, is as addicting as the top hack action. A committed, confident bottom turn in logo+ conditions is a respect earner.

Congratulations on discovering the key to wavesailing. Your bottom turn.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing today like the old mid '80's can opener committed DougMack bottom turns at Waddell and Davenport, even today.
Those old glass board really held in, giving the sailor confidence to rail it harder and harder to rebound off the bottom with more speed than the entry.
brettn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great advice. Thanks!

Using everything from 109 JP Freestyle 3-feet wide, and working my way down through a 4-board quiver and ending up on 82-liter quattro twin-fin pure wave shape.

No surprise the backdoor-wide freestyle doesn't rip bottom turns, but when the tongue-depressor Quatro wave wouldn't do it either, I start to suspect operator error.

I will fiddle with the fin and strap, and endeavor to practice the rest of the good advice above.

I suspect this is the same thing that's wrong with my open-water jibes, in that when I'm overpowered I spin out when I initiate a jibe. I am also not sheeting in and laying the sail down like I see the better sailors doing. Seems impossible to sheet in an overpowered sail at the beginning of a jibe, but maybe I just need to fall down wind and start spilling wind off the front of the sail, then sheet it in, or something...
trburl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett you need to do the same thing with your jibes and bottom turns, as they are similar.

Drive FORWARD with your sail and rail. Use the rail to carve your turn, not your fin. It's too easy to lose control when your rear rail and fin are the only thing connected to the water with your weight.

109 liter Freestyle won't bottom turn well, so don't bother developing it there.

That 82 Liter Twin Fin is IDEAL for making you front foot your bottom turn and your jibes.

Notice how much more nervous the twin fin is on your back foot turning. You'll always want to go straight on the wave since twin fins are skiddish sailed on the back foot. Once you load up the front foot and the front rail the twin fins get stable.

Practice gouging FULLY COMMITTED jibes in the Gorge in smooth water on that 82 Quatro. The more pressure up front, the hookier and more "vertical" your jibe will be.

Practice, then transfer to the wave face in the ocean. Rinse repeat, and watch video of Ho'okipa on big days to see just how aggressive those truly gifted sailors are with their front rail.

That shit is BURIED, quad, twin, or single, BURIED.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bent knees, sail sheeted back and down, full committment, and inboard straps are the keys.
A good sailor can lay down a driving bottom turn with almost any board they are USED TO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: