myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Rrd wave cult 85 vs Quatro wave single 86
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ARA1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Rrd wave cult 85 vs Quatro wave single 86 Reply with quote

Hello all.
I am trying to get some opinions about the quatro wave single 2009+
but cant find any reviews.
Does anyone here have any experience with the board?
And can anyone give me an idea how it compares with the Rrd wave cult 85?

i would really appriciate your input

Cheers
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More information on your pending decision might help. Under what conditions do you intend to use the board and is this a decision between the two boards, or are you replacing the WaveCult?

I have a WaveCult 84 single fin circa 2007, which I love. I also have a Quatro quad 75 LS, which is also great. I use the WaveCult as a light wind wave board and all around bump and jump on the bay. The WaveCult is a little faster than the quad, definitely quicker to plane, goes upwind a little better, and still turns extremely well. The quad is a pure wave board that turns unreal, climbs whitewater like a FWD and keeps me in the pocket better than a single fin. I prefer the quad in the waves and tend to prefer the WaveCult on the bay, or in very light wind slog and ride wave conditions.

The WaveCult was the first "new school" shaped wider and shorter board that I owned. Although, I used to own a very old circa 1984 Sailboards Maui tri-fin thruster custom built for Mike Waltz that in many ways resembled the "new school" modern shapes we see today. It was polyester over Clark foam, had deep double concaves running from just under the mast track all the way through to the winger-pin tail, and weighed about 20 pounds. Everything comes around again. Kevin Pritchard was using a single fin at the Waddell AWT this year.

I would guess the Quatro single fin wave boards are still very surfy with lots of rocker that work best in waves. Keith shapes boards that turn, first and foremost.
ARA1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanks for your response Garritt.
Here is a bit of history
I sail mainly at leo carrillo and county line in the north la area.. Waves and bumb and jump.and im about 165 lbs.
I have a 2008 rrd fsw 105 for my low wind board.
And a kode 86 as my higer wind board.. The thing is a rocket.
Last year i decided to buy a true wave board and bough a quattro quad ls 90... It was not for me..( at this point) I like the single fin characteristics better for my riding skill level. So i sold it to a friend and replaced it with a quatro wave single 86. I like the board on a wave.. Much better than the kode.. It handels things i can never pull off on the kode...But i kind of find it to be very sticky. And not so good in bump and jump as the kode.. And it is quite a bit longer than my kode ! 237 vs 242. And about 1cm narrower.
But i love how it handels waves and whitewater and hown snappy it is on the wave.
I have an oppertunity to buy a 2008 wave cult 86 for a good price.
My thoughts are that i would love a board with a bit better planning and bump and jump characteristic... But same loosness and wave handeling as the
Quatro single.. ( maybe i am dreaming)

So i am trying to get some feedback on the comparison of the two boards.
Any thoughts?
Cheers
gerritt

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can demo the RRD, then do it. If not, you probably still will want it. I really really like my RRD WaveCult. I'm in the bay, Santa Cruz area, so I prefer the smaller quad in 5.0 on down conditions. Having sailed the LA area, I can say the RRD WaveCult ought to be a great board down there, with less wind and generally smaller but better behaved waves. I'm 160 and it will float me through some very light conditions and I can uphaul it in a pinch. The quad 75 sinks when the wind dies. I also have an RRD FSW 94 that I have sometimes put in the waves. It is very sticky compared to the WaveCult and my quad board, so I generally use it as my light wind bay board.
Bayside

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 84L Wave Cult in 2008 and it was my go-to board it until I rented a Quatro 85L single fin in Maui in 2011. The Quatro just felt like an all round better ride. I was planning to buy one as a result but then discovered the Quatro twin fin and ended up buying that instead (with no regrets, haven't been on the Wave Cult since).

I am about 175lb and use it for B&J and as a relative novice in the waves but for both I would choose Quatro single or twin fin over the Wave Cult
ARA1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for your response...
Bayside... I did not know the quarto single wave was made in 85 litters.

I knew the older models were 84 and the newer ones 86...
Or is it a typo on your post.

Interesting... Can u elaborate on the differences between the single and the cult a bit?

The twin is quite different from the single in dimensions .
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/85-litre-multi-fin-overview-2011-149.html

http://www.boardseekermag.com/windsurfing-equipment-tests/twin-fin-test-introduction-2008.html

both worth a read, however no specific to your questions

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
ARA1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice and informative u2...
It seems that quatro tempo twin is the board to have.......

But i feel i need to get a bit better before i give it a shot.

Thanks for the links!

P.s. i am so surprised that there are no reviews on th quatro single! It has been around for years!
Does not compute ...
kmf

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a Quatro Wave 86 test from 2009 Windsurfing.

I have ridden a 2010 RRD Cult 80, and a 2007 Cult 92, and found both to be wonderfully smooth, quick to plane, and great bump and jump boards. I own a 2009 RRD 80 FSW, and a 2006 RRD 94 FSW, and to compare the Cults to the FSW, I would say they have the same RRD feel, smooth and comfortable to ride, plane up almost as quick as the FSW, but seem to stick to the water a little better, are looser and initiate the turn with less effort. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase a RRD wave cult for bump and jump conditions in a second if i found one.

I have ridden two 2012 Quatro FSW boards this week, a 85l and a 95 l, but I have never ridden the Quatro Wave single. The FSW's have continous rocker and are thus control boards, turny and smooth. But they are not fast, and don't do upwind as well as my RRD's I suspect that the Wave single would be an excellent board for it's intended conditions, the question being are those the conditions that you have. The Quatro FSW's are certaintly worth considering for Bump and Jump.

KMF

quatro wave board 2009.jpg
 Description:
2009 board test from Windsurfing
 Filesize:  859.4 KB
 Viewed:  29946 Time(s)

quatro wave board 2009.jpg

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to remember the history of the Quatros twins, at one time they had 2 versions, the remaining one either called TWIN, or Tempo twin, was the better received, and is on my short list of desirable used hulls. The other initially twin is gone from the lineup, and its crazing me I cant find what it was called

in a large size, 92//93 one of those.

I have a RRD wave twin wave, 74L that I converted to a quad, it has improved range and sticks to the water, more firmly planted in other words.
I like it alot, bought new

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: