myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cable Park meeting with Hood River Port Commission tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikephillips2011 wrote:
Give me a break! Are you really that naive, or are you simply a "Friends of the Waterfront" shill for Naito? Can you say "fake opposition?" As if the Hotel won't benefit greatly from the millions of dollars they want the taxpayers to spend. Why is it being presented to us as an ultimatum? Do we really need to be threatened by a private company to do something completely for our own benefit?

arthurb wrote:
No one has proposed using public funds to landscape private property. The proposal is to use public funds on publicly owned property to create better access and amenities which would be available to the public. The Naitos haven't asked anyone to landscape their property for them, I would not propose it, and I can't imagine the UR Board considering it.

Dear Mr. Phillips,

I think that a nicely landscaped esplanade along the West and South shores of The Basin with multiple water access points will be desirable for everyone, including property owners, their tenants, and patrons. Why would this be a problem?

I've not seen any proposals that suggest public $'s be used to landscape private land. Have you? Please point it out to me if you have. I'm all ears.

CU Sailin'

mikephillips2011

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not privy to the exact details of the plan because I am not a political insider or a fake opposition stakeholder. All I know is that it is being presented to us in the form of an Corleone "offer we can't refuse" which is never a good sign. I don't really appreciate being shaken down for my own good.
puppydog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Friends" got schooled
phazle5499

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog writes:
"The "Friends" got schooled"

Think again. The Naito motel project still faces LUBA (land use board of appeal), an ESA (endangered species act) and a clean water act law suit, all brought by the Friends to insure that any motel/building conforms to what is required. Thanks to the Friends for their due diligence. If all of the requirements are met, then I imagine the motel will be built.

So who is getting "schooled" here?? Sounds like it's puppydog.
mikephillips2011

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First the Friends of the Waterfront try to convince us to oppose the cable park because it will attract too many bikini babes. Now they say we should celebrate Naito threatening us to fund landscaping around their hotel. These "friends" sure are getting awfully "friendly" to Naito.

puppydog wrote:
The "Friends" got schooled

bikini-babes.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.12 KB
 Viewed:  14637 Time(s)

bikini-babes.JPG

CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikephillips2011 wrote:
I am not privy to the exact details of the plan because I am not a political insider or a fake opposition stakeholder. All I know is that it is being presented to us in the form of an Corleone "offer we can't refuse" which is never a good sign. I don't really appreciate being shaken down for my own good.

Hmmm... it doesn't sound like you're privy to any of the details Mr. Phillips.

Furthermore, I don't think anybody is getting "schooled." This is a process, and it is playing out with the help of many concerned citizens, pro & con.

I would hope that any Basin shoreline developer, current or future - including Naito - would become a "friend" and stakeholder in the health and betterment of The Basin in the most reasonable way.

Details are still forthcoming, but at this time, I am very encouraged by the annoucement of Mayor Babitz and Commissioner Davies plan and would further encourage serious consideration of it by "The Friends" and thier legal representatives.

CU Sailin'

jsampiero

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even close to being a one-percenter, and generally, tend to align myself with small and locally-owned business.

But can we please get rid of this idea that the Naitos are trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

Hood River needs more hotel rooms. An improved waterfront with more access is better for everyone. The Naitos have a long history of well thought out, environmentally conscious projects. Are they a for-profit business. Sure. Why do YOU work? But they've been fairly damn transparent about this entire process.

And I'm certainly not on their payroll, or stand to make any gains from this project other than a place to have a few beers near the water.

As for the cable park - such a bummer, and the terrible thing is that a few highly vocal people are going to walk around feeling like they won - when really, it's the entire town of Hood River, its kids, and visitors, who got screwed so a few people could sit smugly in their kayaks.

Will there eventually be more people using the basin? Sure. As many people, having as much fun, as if there was a cable park? Never.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero wrote:
I'm not even close to being a one-percenter, and generally, tend to align myself with small and locally-owned business.

But can we please get rid of this idea that the Naitos are trying to pull the wool over your eyes?

Good idea Smile

hein

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both sides spent a significant amount of time and resources promoting their position. Then the mayor and the port director (privately?) decide on a third plan with no public input what-so-ever.

Shouldn't something this significant go on the ballot?

Personally, I'd like to see a public indoor/outdoor recreation center built on lot 1. Swimming pools, exercise rooms and equipment, indoor and outdoor courts, climbing wall, etc. fun and fitness for all.

Wasn't HR recognized as a fitness town? Let's run with that...
phazle5499

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsampiero writes:

"As for the cable park - such a bummer, and the terrible thing is that a few highly vocal people are going to walk around feeling like they won - when really, it's the entire town of Hood River, its kids, and visitors, who got screwed so a few people could sit smugly in their kayaks"

Based on any measure you choose, I believe you have your facts all backwards.
Actually, the good thing is the visitors and the residents of Hood River avoided getting screwed by a vocal few who supported the cable park because of the large number of people (not just the Friends) who opposed it. Nothing "terrible" about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: