myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
best car to carry gear?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

amazing what A/H are on here still

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:34 pm    Post subject: Honda Ody Reply with quote

I can fit a 10' bagged surfboard. Down the middle. Also, drop the shotgun seat back and I can fit the surfboard and a 10'9" sup by laying one on top of the other, resting on the seat back. Underneath a couple of short boards and six sails rig etc fit easily. No vision obstruction
wsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Is it too much trouble for you to take a tape measure and figure it out?
My Honda Civics took an 8'9" surfboard, or 265 long sailboard, inside with an inch to spare.

Don't own one yet, but thought I'd ask here and see if someone had one and knew. Didn't expect a d-head response.
I am heading to the dealer with a tape measure as they don't post their inside dimensions especially with console removed.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Honda Odyssey Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
wsurfer wrote:
Does anyone know the longest board that will fit in the Honda Odyssey with the front center console removed???

I think you mean between the 2 front seats, placed vertical ?

I would think 3000mm, 300cm ,118 " and 9foot 8425inches would be pretty close to optimum length if between the seats.

the platform behind the seats is 8foot long, with some extension under the passenger seat

Yes, between the front seats vertically. Tks for the info...one pic showed an 8 X 4 plywood fitting flat with all rear seats removed.
I eyeballed it at about 9' midway between roofline and floor. Will head over to dealer later to measure.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Honda Ody Reply with quote

7176 wrote:
I can fit a 10' bagged surfboard. Down the middle. Also, drop the shotgun seat back and I can fit the surfboard and a 10'9" sup by laying one on top of the other, resting on the seat back. Underneath a couple of short boards and six sails rig etc fit easily. No vision obstruction

10' sounds long! Are they on the floor or sitting above the dash? What year is the one you have?
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are any of the long wheelbase mini vans are going to have the same cargo area.
The difference is price and the way they drive, incidence of repair and cost to repair.
While the newer Honda s are quite nice, I have now my 2nd Chrysler Town & Country. 1st a 03 this a 06. They both are/were dedicated windsurf transport vehicles, and as such have proved to be excellent.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
tstar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saving my money for this one;

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/09/06/2014-ford-transit-offers-big-utility-with-ecoboost-and-diesel-po/
NickB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new VW Beetle Turbo seems to work well enough for Philip Foster. Triple loops and bikinis, I'm sold! Now where do I put my Phantom 320?

Oh, this vehicle seems real nice too. Not sure if it's real or if they are pulling everything from behind the dune.

Happy Friday!

fwiw, before I switched to a quiver kaddy, my windsurfing vehicle was a Pontiac Vibe 2005 4x4 and it was really great. Front passenger seat folds flat forward, most exposed parts easy to clean plastic, back hatch window opens independently from hatch (for the occasional longboard trip)
critter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Honda Element would be my choice Reply with quote

I'm on my second Honda Element and in terms of cargo capacity, unless you get a van, there's nothing out there that comes close for cargo space. I can carry four boards (stacked) with the passenger seat folded down, three masts and booms, misc. windsurf gear, five sails, three kites - two boards, and a bicycle > all inside. With almost 200k miles on my first Element, the reliability is also a plus. I regularly get between 23-28 mpg. That's hard to do with a van or truck. Honda doesn't make them any longer (2011 was officially it's final year) but there's plenty of used ones available.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Honda Ody Reply with quote

wsurfer wrote:
7176 wrote:

10' sounds long! Are they on the floor or sitting above the dash? What year is the one you have?

I got a 2000 Odyssey. Obviously take out/fold down all the back seats.
The front passenger seat also reclines flat so you could fit a long board all the way into the passenger foot well. Also the nose of boards usually have rocker, so quite long boards can fit between the front seats (boards standing on their rail with nose of the board into the passenger footwell).
With boards standing on their side rails, you can still have a passenger in the front seat, with 2 or 3 boards in back (more if they are short).
My longest board now is only 8' 11" and a board probably 2 feet longer could fit. I think a SUP would fit in (maybe more diagonal for a long SUP).
Just take your longest board to the dealer, they don't mind.

MPGs are pretty good with these vans, mine has 135K miles and it still gets
24 on highway. The new ones say they get 27 or 28.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 7 of 13

Jump to: