myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride Boards for a Newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pueno

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seedysailor wrote:
I have been spoofed with a number that belonged to someone who was unaware of the use of their number.

And this from the guy with 75+ aliases that converse with each other. Talk about spoofing!
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there have been designs that suit every taste in performance based on nearly every shape. designs from maui work how well in humble florida? pump to plane is something that i fixate on. that's because i choose to do so in our light and fluky florida winds.

if i lived in maui or san francisco, maybe pump to plane would not be so important? maybe i'd not mind a board that feels as though it is sailing uphill the whole time to achieve that "smooth ride?" lots of people that live in windy venues that don't have an opportunity to try lots of stuff may think their boards are great. if they have been offered to to try other stuff and refuse, then they choose to keep their heads in the sand i guess.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
speedysailor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
there have been designs that suit every taste in performance based on nearly every shape. designs from maui work how well in humble florida? pump to plane is something that i fixate on. that's because i choose to do so in our light and fluky florida winds.

if i lived in maui or san francisco, maybe pump to plane would not be so important? maybe i'd not mind a board that feels as though it is sailing uphill the whole time to achieve that "smooth ride?" lots of people that live in windy venues that don't have an opportunity to try lots of stuff may think their boards are great. if they have been offered to to try other stuff and refuse, then they choose to keep their heads in the sand i guess.
Not right. One can adapt to any board especially when the differences in the choices and alternatives are miniscule. Whatever, pumping to a plane takes a lot of energy and is very hard on your rotator cuffs. I give you a lot of credit for doing it. I gave up using the Sumo in marginal winds and wouldn't doubt that some of my difficulties with it derived from the bottom structure. Recently I did try sailing it in marginal winds because I forgot to take the bigger board along. Given the gusty conditions, getting up on a plane wasn't so much a problem as staying on the plane or returning to it. I prefer the board when fully powered up for sure.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That danged sand keeps blowing up my nostrils at 30MPH.

;*)

-Craig

jingebritsen wrote:
maybe i'd not mind a board that feels as though it is sailing uphill the whole time to achieve that "smooth ride?" lots of people that live in windy venues that don't have an opportunity to try lots of stuff may think their boards are great. if they have been offered to to try other stuff and refuse, then they choose to keep their heads in the sand i guess.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slowest, least planable, slug of a board I have ever ridden was a High Tech wave board designed and produced expressly for mass consumption on Maui. Even if one did manage to boot the damned thing onto a plane with oversized sails, a 15-foot curling face, and/or an aircraft carrier catapult, even at its top speed I felt like I could step off and run faster alongside it (presuming I had been a REALLY good boy that week). The same board, if ordered by a haole for use on the mainland, had MUCH less rocker and crisper rails and could actually plane on a lake and go as fast as Usain Bolt.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi-Tech IBM Gorge, sounds a lot like your description. I'm still riding a
semi-custom one in the Gorge, and I still love it. Plenty fast, turns well,
tracks well, planes pretty early (for a ~70 ltr board), jumps well, and
it's.......polyester.

-Craig

isobars wrote:
The slowest, least planable, slug of a board I have ever ridden was a High Tech wave board designed and produced expressly for mass consumption on Maui. Even if one did manage to boot the damned thing onto a plane with oversized sails, a 15-foot curling face, and/or an aircraft carrier catapult, even at its top speed I felt like I could step off and run faster alongside it (presuming I had been a REALLY good boy that week). The same board, if ordered by a haole for use on the mainland, had MUCH less rocker and crisper rails and could actually plane on a lake and go as fast as Usain Bolt.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
Hi-Tech IBM Gorge, sounds a lot like your description.

Naaaah. The IBM Gorge is slower and more directional (less loose) than a Bonzer, but the Maui HiTech version, about 4 years pre-IBM Gorge, was a classic banana, an idiot savant that did only one thing well: glide slowly down giant water slides with minimal regard to direction. On a river swell, luffed, it would have been fun; getting it out to the swell would have been hard work. HT was wise to make that distinction between Maui and the mainland.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
The Futura & Hawk are closer to slalom or race boards while the Shark & Carve are more true freeride cruising boards so you will have to figure out what you are looking for.
Coachg

jingebritsen wrote:
i
The hawk is a highly strung nearly slalom board, pay attention to fins after you get wound up. the shark is a bit sedate, more for a comfortable cruise.

smg11 wrote:
After about a half of a season, i bought a 2010 Shark 165 and LOVE it.

I found the shark easy and fun for what I was looking for so I also bought a Shark 135 as well. . . .
I found the quality of the Starboard (at least the Rio) was much less than the Fanatics I have. . . .
Just my experience from re-learning and as a happy Fanatic Shark owner sailing the same conditions you are. I don't think you could go wrong with the Shark 165.
This thread has not only lost the original poster, but also the gist. The has-beens, old farts, and dumpster divers seem to have taken over. Let's discuss current equipment, please!!!! Whatever, I was sailing yesterday. I own an '06 Shark 142 and definitely would have preferred it to the Naish Icon 160 I was on yesterday, but it is in Florida and I'm 1800 miles to the North. The Icon has foot straps further out on the rail. They are always a challenge to enter. However, I have been looking at photos of the Shark 165 and see the option of inboard straps like the old 142 and those further out on the rail like those on the Icon. I wonder how this big board sails with the more forward front and more inward rear straps. I'm of the opinion that there is an optimal footstrap position. To continue this study of footstrap positions. I have been looking at photos of current Exocet Formula boards. They have seemed to move the strap positions further in than they are with my old model. They look a lot like they are positioned like my '06 Icon.

165SharkFootstrapHoles.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.46 KB
 Viewed:  14040 Time(s)

165SharkFootstrapHoles.jpg

rangerider

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original poster is probably out kiteboarding as he realized choosing a board was too complicated (which it is). Anyway, as a midwesterner with a longboard and a large shortboard I vote for the longboard to start, followed by a large (165L or so) "shortboard" for windy days which will be frequent enough in the great lakes. You can sail the longboard anywhere and in any conditions, you will be faster at the start because you will be able to control the board and learn to control the sail. It will be easier to get into the straps and harness, and you can drop the centerboard and sail home when the wind dies. OP if you are still interested in windsurfing after reading this thread - go big on the sail, your athleticism and size can handle it. I started with a 5m sail, what a waste, then a 6.6, still too small, then an 8.1 - now we're getting somewhere, but life began at 9.5m. i think 7.0 and 9.5 is a good 2 sail combo for midwestern summers and the board types I recommended.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I think tmonty got his answers, but it will be interesting how things turn out for him. I'ld love to see some follow up. Other than that, this thread has developed into another mass demonstration of autism. Since all the regular posters ignore each other's writing, they never do stay on "the page".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: