myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Rocket delam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did talk with Matt. He pretty much said that he could not do anything to help. I didn't really expect him to. He did say that some of the race boards have had the same problems after hard use. I now have a 2012 Rocket 115 ltd and he told me to check it out and to put pads on that area. You would think if the board needed pads in that area, it would come that way from the factory. I guess you only get what you pay for. By the way. that LTD cost over 2,000 bucks....maybe Exocet next time.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to question the value of adding padding to boards. As I see it, padding serves two functions. To provide either comfort or a soft non-skid surface. I seriously doubt that a half inch of foam padding is going to curb all the affects of weight and the abuse that occurs in jibing. In my view, the only way to lessen the chance of delamination is through proper re-enforcement realized through beefier laminations. Are delaminations common where your feet are placed in the strap areas? No, and that's not because of the foot pads either. It's all about proper re-enforcement. Virtually all of my slalom boards over the years haven't have pads, because I ordered them that way. Have I ever experienced any delamination in the foot strap area. Again, no.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
I have to question the value of adding padding to boards.

Agree 100%

2K for a board other than a custom would be pretty hard for me to swallow

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"ve had maybe 5 Slabs without pads, never a delam problem. But those are not my chosen general windsurfing boards, so seldom used compared to bump n jump boards.
Most Formula Slabs don't delam, while other company wide boards do over time.
No doubt Slabs are the strongest for their weight around, but some people can't wait 8 months for a slalom board or a year for a F.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
You would think if the board needed pads in that area, it would come that way from the factory. I guess you only get what you pay for. By the way. that LTD cost over 2,000 bucks....maybe Exocet next time.

If you aren't going to take a hint from Lee's 40 smashed decks or whatever that was, or my statistics on pads vs no pads based on decades with and without them on hundreds of boards, or Matt Pritchard's advice to pad it, or the hundreds of boards you see on the beach with damaged decks, or throwing repeated $2,000 bills at the problem vs spending $50 to prevent it, why did you ask for our advice?

[Insert any off-the-shelf board brand on the planet here plus most customs] suffers occasional deck breakdowns; some "Cobras" and customs are notorious for it. Pads slow that process dramatically and offer additional advantages. Impact dispersion and absorption beats the heck out of a deck so frigging rigid that your foot breaks before your deck does. I've seen people try both solutions on different boards; I don't need to try the latter to know that I prefer the former. YMMV.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler, When Brian built your OO's did you two have any conversation about beefing it up in areas? The reason I ask is because he did with me when building my 8'4" epoxy board. The price is of course going to be weight which something I'm not too concerned about so I told him beef it up baby! I could care less if it weighs 1 -2 pounds more and strong as nails. I can't remember if we had the same talk when he built my 8'2" enduro.

Last edited by noshuzbluz on Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good old fashioned PVC foam under the higher stress areas all around the high foot traffic area is best for me. some brands are cutting corners for weight savings that just are not worth while for those that sail long and hard at higher frequencies than average sailors.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m with Mike on this one.
Better to pad the outside of the deck than to add reinforcement under the deck....for me.
Under, it's like double sandwich, too stiff or the human body (mine).
Outside, it's cush and comfy, BUT raises the center of gravity.
To me, a thin board is worth more than it's problems.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz,

Yes, and I sent him photos too to depicit where mast contact literally pulverized the left side of board at the top of the rail, and to a lesser degree the right side of the board. This problem arises trying to launch and get out in the close period surf where the current is running strongly down the beach, thereby forcing you to head the board into the current. That sets up a situation where the incoming surf often catches the side of the board and flips it up into the mast.

So, on the new board that I ordered in 2008, it was agreed that he would re-enforce those areas. Ultimately, the board came out notably heavier than all my past boards. I would say at least 3 pounds heavier. Rather than lap a 2-3 inch strip of added fiberglass or carbon over the top of the rail in the middle section of the board, I think he must have added it across the whole width of the board. Another possibility for the added weight could have been in the newer polyurethane foam blank. All my earlier boards were made from Clark Foam blanks before they stopped making them.

While the board works well in really powered conditions, the extra weight makes it a bit of a dog in sketchier up and down conditions. So what I did was retire the newer board, and brought my old 1996 model out of retirement.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, 3 lbs is a lot.
My old PearsonArrow double sandwich boards weighed right around an even 14, no straps, pads, mast base, nor fin. His single airex boards were closer to 12 lbs at 8'4" x 20" and 3.5 thick at the center, crowned decks, and maybe 70 liters. I guess two or three pounds is a moot point. I had both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: