myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tabou Rocket delam
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Tabou Rocket delam Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I have two 2010 Tabou Rockets. A 115 Ltd and a 95 standard. I'm just a flat water windsurfer these days. To old for the waves and to jump. I got both boards new. Both boards have a pretty big delam in front of the back foot straps. I have over 30 years on the water on tons of different boards and this is the first time ever a board has come apart. Has anyone else had this problem with tabou. I really like the boards but if they come apart after a year or so of flat water sailing I'll shop eleswhere next time. Just a heads up....Tony
3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you had the vent screw always closed or closed on the water and open in storage?

Aloha

Jurg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tabou Rocket delam Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
To old for the waves and to jump ... delam in front of the back foot straps

For next time, that's why I pad boards there. Delam, followed by collapse, is very common there on most brands.

Man, how old ARE you? One of our guys still jumps (and very routinely sails gale force winds) at 73 ... ~15 years past his quad bypass, and several of us younger kids have long been on Social Security.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 30 years in the water, over 2,500 days on shortboards.
I have delamed over 40 boards, bought brand new.
Don't know what you've been doing.
Don't matter what company board.
Never use a board bag, don't put boards inside a car.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned through a discussion with Mike Zajicek that the density of EPS being manufactured today is quite variable. He said that the less dense material is what makes it more prone to delamination. Of the 10 Mike's Lab boards that I've owned, two developed delamination in front of the rear straps where you put your rear foot in a jibe. This took about 5-6 years to show up. In both of these boards Mike injected some epoxy into the deck which effectively resolved things and prevented any further spread of the problem. One of the boards, a 1999 8'10" Slalom, is still in use at least 6 years after he injected it. Also, I should point out that neither of the two delaminations involved any cracks or leaks. For those that might be unfamiliar with Mike's boards, they are arguably some of the strongest and best built boards in windsurfing, so inadequate build quality isn't really the issue in his boards.

Now, low density ESP might be one of the principle problems leading to delamination, it isn't necessarily the sole contributor. Insufficient or poorly done laminations can also be the source for delamination problems.
3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw material change so 1.5 Lb EPS foam can be different in outgasing and strength. So even well build boards can have issues.

Slalom and Freeride boards have a more flat area between front and back foot strap so as ISOBAR said a 1/3' pad helps to absorb the shock impact from your foot. Wave boards have a more domed deck and can take more abuse with the same material choice.

Usually you would inject Foam and not resin to fix that up. Better is to cut out the delam area and rebuild as Eva the Board lady has it written in here webpage. You can inject foam to use the board till end of the season or if a correct repair is to much for the board.

Aloha
Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right Jurg about what is the extent of a proper repair. Mike did the two different epoxy injections as a favor to me at no charge to potentially get a little more time out the two boards. In both different cases I was either ordering a new board or picking up a new one. Sometimes the wait after ordering a new board from Mike can be quite long. I could have elected to have him do a more proper repair, but after 5-6 years of hard use, we often think about retiring a board anyway. Actually I did that within a year on the first delamed board, but as I pointed out earlier, I'm still using the 1999 board. It's an incredible board even today. At almost 13 years old, it's still weighing in at about 11.5 lbs. I have to admit though, doing the coin test on the bottom does reveal its age.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I have just been lucky with my boards so far. I did have Eva fix one of my boards. She did a great job. She is the best. It just seems to me that a board builder would upgrade that area of the board to prevent failure. Its also a bit odd that the only boards that I have ever had this happen to are both 2010 Tabou Rockets. My first Tabou boards....I might go a different way next time....
KevinDo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:

Why shouldn't one use a board bag?
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board bags are like steam cookers under the right conditions (wet board
inside a bag in a car roasting in the hot sun). But, I use board bags
on all my boards, and I've certainly seen less damage as a result than
I've ever gotten from overheating a board. Of the 20 odd epoxy boards
I've owned over the last ~17 years, only 1 slalom board has delamed,
and that one might have been the result of me jumping the crap out of
it. Of course, if your board has water on the inside of it, then it will
delam in very little heat, and a board bag will only exacerbate that.

-Craig

KevinDo wrote:
zirtaeb wrote:

Why shouldn't one use a board bag?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: