myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride Boards for a Newbie
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Actually, you SHOULD listen to everyone, especially if they have the experience to recommend what works for you.
Do I?
Let's see. Housemate was 275. Plenty of buds over 200. Worked as a salesman in windsurfing shops from 1983 thru 2003. Currently, one of my buds who sails here weighs right at 325.
OTOH.... you are a kitesurfer. I imagine you can do it. That said, you'd get bored on a big long board, or a 200 liter GO Starboard.
The consensus is 150 liters minimum, IF you are athletic and determined. Better to get something BIGGER.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Zirtaeb, you are proposing he go straight into beach starts and waterstarts completely bypassing the uphauling stage? is that correct? and if so what minimum wind speed and sail size will be required to accomplish that at his weight with a 150L board?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in season, the west coast has a very strong wind probability compared to other places in the world. advice from there seems to apply best while being there....
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did everyone forget OP has years of experience riding a 5' long board that is maybe, but probably, less than 30 liters?
I did NOT recommend 150 liters. YOU did. I said 150 was minimum, more is better.
But you can't read, of course.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
what minimum wind speed and sail size will be required to accomplish that at his weight with a 150L board?

1. Absolutely no way to know, as flotation is but one issue.
2. Doesn't matter. The OP needs TOW, and a sinker is not going to provide that. Quite the opposite, it's likely to drive him back to kiting or into Russian roulette, which would be more fun than trying to learn WSing on a sinker in the Great Lakes.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I support James' and Ingebritsen's recommendation of a longboard. Not only will one be able to support you during your early learning stages, you'll get a lot of use out of it (and have a lot of fun) with it in light to moderate planing winds.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, a Superlight/Bamba/modernEquipe/MegaCat is the first choice.
But Go's are fine.
Doubt OP would windsurf if he needs such a boat. If he rode twin tips kitesurfing, his board would be 160x42, or 8 liters with a 16 meter kite.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
did everyone forget OP has years of experience riding a 5' long board that is maybe, but probably, less than 30 liters?
I did NOT recommend 150 liters. YOU did. I said 150 was minimum, more is better.
But you can't read, of course.

Ok let me rephrase that, if for instance he went with a 150L board as you proposed being the minimum......
Straight into beach and waterstarts? and how workable is that at his weight in those conditions?
BTW, I think I can read ok, I was just assuming a scenario. LOL Laughing
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite....
This is were EXPERIENCE comes into play.
OP weighs 290. My old bud 275. Old bud easily uphauled his 133 liter Seatrend 9'5"ers, and could uphaul my 124 liter Seatrend in really flat water. Maybe not first try, every time, but I can't say I can uphaul 84 liters first try, every time.
OP is presumed to be somewhat of an athlete. He kited for 8 years.
Did I say it was EASY to ride 150liters? Did I not recommend a 250 liter longboard?
If you think you can do it, you'll have a better chance of doing it than if you think you can't.
My first ever day, at LakeMerced, I THOUGHT I could windsurf my buds board, a Rocket99. I uphauled it maybe 40 times, sailing less than 30' distance at the best each time. My buds around knew I couldn't do it, and came to watch the hilarious show. Sail was the UP 6.0 and winds 5-25 mph, as NW winds were blowing strong on the coast.
Within 10 days, I was sailing CrissyFields, all the way across, with a 90 liters SURFBOARD!.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you believe in yourself, you have a much better chance to succeed.
If you believe you will fail, you will fail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: