myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What impact will 13-15 liters make?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"know those sites"..... Very Happy Very Happy
I gotta laugh. MITSU knows Berkeley, having sailed there at least 150 days a year since 1994.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MITSU?? You lost me there.

zirtaeb wrote:
"know those sites"..... Very Happy Very Happy
I gotta laugh. MITSU knows Berkeley, having sailed there at least 150 days a year since 1994.
ssoule

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: some math to help Reply with quote

at 2.2 lbs per liter an extra 10 liters float an additional 22 lbs of weight...

If you have a friend who is similar in ability calculate the difference betweeen his weight + 20 lbs for rig and about 10 lbs for harness and wetsuit... 200 lb person +30 = 230 would be a sinker on a 102 liter board.... he could use a 120 lt board and float nicely.... Then pick a sail for the speed you want ... At an average of 20 knts about a 6.5 meter if lulls are below 15 go bigger if gusts are above 25 OK but more maybe smaller... if wind is 12 to 30 nothing is right unless your very good....

I sail is LA area and ususally 18 to 26 Knts weigh 190 and use a 103 ltr board and a 6.0 sail.... other sailors will be using from a 5.0 sail to 7.6 sail
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you shouldn't be expected to know the little Japanese guy who sails there only about 150 days a year, usually from late PM thru 9 at night and oftentimes past 10Pm. He's the "local knowledge". Based out of CalSailngClub, using his own '89 thru '91 Windwing sails, and the club's RRD Slalom boards, he's often the only guy out past 6PM, and the guy planing the most.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't put too much faith in volume/flotation calculations, folks. They're just numbers. Decimal points aside and ignoring salt water's extra density, a 100 liter board will "float" a 220-pound static load including rider, rig, board, wetsuit, wet footstraps,, and lunch ... *IF* the board is perfectly level on all axes and has no nose rocker and the water is mirror flat. Even then you'd require dynamic flotation (due to forward speed and highly dependent on board shape) to expose the deck to the air, and in the real world, yer feet, at least, will be submerged at a standstill. Twitch yer feet or your rig and there go the shins. Sure, some gymnasts can uphaul and sail submerged to their knees, but that's for photo ops, not prolonged fun.

Mike \m/
ssoule

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Number are just for help They don't sail BUT Reply with quote

Iso.. probably does not believe..But to float the 220lbs he mentioned Level is NOT required nor is FLat water.. So much for his help!!

He does imply that being a better sailor will help, I agree.

Salt water is about 3% more bouyant than fresh water, I believe the bay is salt as is the area I sail in LA... any way the math should help unless the boaard maker is giving a "sails like" value or the board has taken on water and
has added weight.... Good luck
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Number are just for help They don't sail BUT Reply with quote

ssoule wrote:
Iso.. probably does not believe..But to float the 220lbs he mentioned Level is NOT required nor is FLat water.. So much for his help!

Google the Archimedes principle.
keycocker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We demonstrate that principle in our school science class with a ball and mention that any shape or orientation will produce the same result.
How do you keep a ball "level"?
This is just the opposite of iso statement so I guess he cant get a job with us teaching science.
He is right about the real life experience. With skill it is easier to keep your board floating by edging forward esp in flat water with the board level, but the reason is not the Archimedes principle.
This will work with 220lbs and 99 liters too with skill.
You are using the forward movement to OVERCOME the Archimedes Principle. It states that a 220lbs load will always sink a 99 liter object, and that 100 liters will neither float nor sink 220 lbs. It will be neutral .
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: What impact will 13-15 liters make? Reply with quote

One must also take the manufacturer's listed volume with a grain of salt (bring a salt shaker if you sail fresh water Smile ).

I had a 2009 Quatro FSW listed at 95L that would sink to my calves when uphauled. I now have a 2010 Naish FSW listed at 90L that floats me fine during an uphaul (board sinks to the bottom of my feet).

Go figure Confused

I'm 190...add 30 for wet rig and suit....15 for board...and you get 107L to float me in fresh water. If I bring my salt shaker I can sail my 100L! Laughing

My point is.........demo the board.
rlemmens

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwallace wrote:
rlemmens wrote:
Im 200lbs and use a 107 freestyle board with my large sail being a 5.4..

What make/model board do you sail?

I use a taboo freestyle 107 and a gaastra pure 5.4. If you want to give it a try let me know. But there are lot's of good options out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: