myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Snapping scapula anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Snapping scapula anyone? Reply with quote

That's a technical term.
Shoulders sure take a beating in this sport. Evil or Very Mad
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Snapping scapula anyone? Reply with quote

beaglebuddy wrote:
That's a technical term.
Shoulders sure take a beating in this sport. Evil or Very Mad

Not quite that but shoulder dislocation happening easily ones in a while when I fall. Over years learned how to pop it back by myself and then continue the session. It is yet very annoying. Both of us should see a doctor on that. THere are non-surgical and surgical (if the former fails) ways to fix that. Again, only a doctor can say what to do as each situation is personal.
Good luck.

Andrei.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 3 shoulder separations of the right shoulder, one of the left.
2 collarbone breaks each side.
1 dislocation of the right side.
For years (20-15 years ago, I could not brush my teeth without the elbow supported by the other arm....either arm).
Shoulder's have been popping and snapping with any kind of movement since 1997.
This is my 29th year of windsurfing, racing for 3, did the speed trials circuit, wave sailed for 2 and 3 years after that.
No biggie, just don't deathgrip with your whole hand. Use your fingers.
9 meter + sails can get hard to jibe.
Putting my boards back into the van is the most dangerous moment for my shoulders.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that's the primary reason I gave up dirt bikes. Pro football pads from neck to forearms to knees can do only so much at desert racing speeds.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's the dreaded first turn in 250 motocross. Not bad in 125 classes, fine in 500/Open, but 250's get all the hyped farmer kids let out for the weekend adrenaline. I"m always a top 5 starter, so get crashed out from the back lots, then piled on. The pileling on seems to cause most of the injuries, as the initial impact is just lever bender stuff.
Once, did in a collarbone on my own, hitting a rectangular rock underneat the sand at Marysville's RiverFrontPark.
I'm the slowest learner ever, as it took me over 300 races to finally make 125 Expert.
Made VetExpert my first year in Vets.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
For me, it's the dreaded first turn in 250 motocross

For me it was anything that put me over the bars, through the swingarm, inside the gas tank, into a 6' prickly pear, off a cliff, or face-first on slickrock at speeds from 15 to 90 mph. I came upon a bud hollering for help because his helmeted head was stuck (and being drawn in even further) between his Bultaco's rear fender and knobby tire, his full-face helmet's face guard pressed against the tire, with his engine at half throttle and the tranny in gear, watching the knobs eat through the helmet face bar towards his face.

[Somebody must have stopped to help, 'cause next time I saw him he still had all his teeth and lips. (But, Robert, ... it was a race.)] Wink
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I drove the truck in support of DaveMorgan, a 250 Intermediate CrossCountry rider from District36 for 3 Barstow/Vegas's. I could never get around the idea of hitting a suckerbush at 85 mph, blind in the dust, thru a path you've never gone thru before, all the while hoping you don't get cross body blocked by the guys you're trying to pass and the guys trying to pass you.
How about those overpass/underpass combinations? Pure in the dust blind, approaching at 60+, and funnelling thru a tunnel 20' wide.
When I watched MalcomSmith in the desert, I knew that wasn't for me.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
all the while hoping you don't get cross body blocked by the guys you're trying to pass and the guys trying to pass you

I've done that only once, just off the line in first gear as he wheelied into my path. (But, Ed ... it's a race!) .

Sorry about your topic, beaglebuddy. Guess I blew that to hell, but I think there's a valid and relevant point here, that short of traumatic injury, we should be able to keep our shoulders healthy enough for WSing for many decades. Surprisingly, however, frequent WSing may not do it if and when our rotator cuff/scapula stabilizers age and become lax enough to let the scapula wander from its prescribed position. It's literally the foundation for all our arm motions, and when it wanders, every exertion involving our arms goes to hell in a wide range of pains, weakness, injury, disability, etc. It's important, and fortunately easy and quick, to keep our scapula stabilizers strong. It's tougher to bring them back than to keep them strong in the first place. We should all Google, choose, and use some rotator cuff/scapula stabilizer exercises now for the long haul. There's no excuse not to, as they are very low-effort, quick, and simple. No sweat, gym clothes, huffing or puffing, or special equipment required.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like bending over doing little circles, progressively getting bigger as you get stronger.
Brushing teeth, combing hair, pulling up your pants, lifting 5/8" sheetrock, in 4x8' sheets over your head, mudding and sanding ceilings, pruning trees over your head, or hitting tennis serves as hard as you used to be able to.... Very Happy Very Happy
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a bursitis condition, in my case actually not related to windsurfing.
The bursa under the scapula between the subscapularis muscle and the back ribcage becomes inflamed and cause a snapping or clicking as the shoulder is moved and the muscle moves over the inflamed bursa or perhaps a bone spur on the scapula. It causes pain and stiffness radiating upward towards the neck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: