myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cable Park meeting with Hood River Port Commission tonight
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
phazle5499 wrote:
tweeky writes:
"CUsalin is right, its pointless to try and discuss this online."
Exactly. That's why the Port has been asked to join in seeking a declaratory judgement from the court to see if a cable park that obstructs navigation can be built in the Columbia River waters in the boat basin.

That's actually a fair response... I'd sincerely like to ask you, if the courts decided against you, instead determining that a cablepark could be built, would that end your opposition, or would you simply seek other avenues to continue your opposition to the park?

Tweeky,

Please allow me to chime in on this one while awaiting response from phazle.

As I think I understand it - The Port as asked their legal council to give an opinion on the applicability of The Public Use Doctrine to The Basin. The Ports council responded with uncertainty.

NBW LLC (Naito Dev) requested their legal council respond to The Port councils report and they did. Not surprisingly, NBW LLC's council responded in confidence that The Public Use Doctrine does not apply to The Basin.

So, in short... there is a pending request that the court come to a determination and The Port has been invited to join in that that request.
I think this is a good thing in that it most probably will eliminate the potential for unnecessary litigation on this matter.

(All these docs are on The Ports Website).

If a judge were to declare that The Public Use Doctrine was not applicable to The Basin, it does not automatically mean The Port will decide to approve a cable-park as this is not the only matter under consideration. It would only settle a single legal question, albeit a major one, and it would not necessarily make putting a cable-park in The Basin the appropriate thing to do.

FWIW - If a judge were to declare that The Public Use Doctrine did not apply, it would not halt my opposition because The Public use aspect of my opposition is but only one item on my very long list of reasons I oppose a cable park in The Basin. I think many feel the same.

I maintain that the very long list of negative impacts (real, potential or imagined) that the development of a cable-park in The Basin would have far out-weigh the benefits for a few to make some $ and for some to, "...have fun."

CU Salin'

Last edited by CUSalin on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:59 pm; edited 2 times in total
scooter_bell

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

columbia wrote:
jsampiero wrote:
I think the sucktasticness that is SuperDuperEpicWalmart is something we can definitely all agree on. If we're going to have a mega-corp expand in Hood River, I wish it could have at least been a Trader Joe's!

Josh - after reading your last post I can't help but think that you're a funny guy! Trader Joe’s would in fact work here in HR (Note to Naito group – business opportunity worthy of your time).

I wanna get this straight - we want to put metal towers in the boat basin cause the basin is protected from the wind so people can get dragged around (I wanna write senseless but didn’t – damn I just did ) exactly back to where they started. This will occur in the boat basin cause there ain’t no wind/waves in the basin even during the windiest days. Me thinks we got a problem here. It’s windy in the corridor most of the summer and fall (spring for that matter) so let me ask of the financial wizards that put this plan together – when it’s windy – won’t your best customers (and wanna bees) be kiting or windsurfing? Last time I checked – being dragged behind a metronome rates second to doing the real thing! (For the love of Dog – if you’re learning - it takes a week of lessons to learn how to kite! Spend money on kite lessons not the metronome…)

We do the best we can to keep things moving in a direction. But I’m a romantic at heart, with memories of the basin. You have to understand, I have a memory of a first date (ok – second) with a gal from out of town (yes a Portlandia type) but of course I made the mistake of trying to unseat this voluptuously young maiden from her paddleboard by pushing her ever-so-diligent steed forward. (In the days of yonder it would be with a riding crop but in my case it was with a paddle). Little did I know that, 1) a buddy was at the far end of the boat basin, and 2) I pushed her ever-so-diligent steed forward not sideways, nor forward or any ways other than backward. Damn, she fell on her ass and tumbled backwards on top of the board like a cheap date at Jack’s on First Friday. Of course, I felt like a heel and tried to regroup and pull young maiden from the basin hither only to hear from further hither… “he always was an asshole”… it sounded like it came from above. How could the powers that be have been so reticent when I’d sinned so badly in past? But that’s when I realized how friends can turn... I digress. But let it be known that when fair maiden and I returned to my ever-so-humble HR abode she flipped me like a pancake and tied me up like a turkey on Thanksgiving. Young vixen that she was she shoved the novel Shades of Grey in between my butt cheeks and I’ll be damned but I didn’t repent my sins pronto – well at least my indiscretion at the boat basin… but I digress again.

I am thankful for many things, 1) we live in a place were people care for wind, waves/swell and scenic beautimus (sorry I love this word) of what we’ve preserved and conserved, and 2) and more importantly, my fair maiden was reading the paperback edition and not the hardcover…

Humor aside, last time I checked we’re rippin’ the shxt out of the metal and damns that everyone thought was the power savior for de “man”. Now we’re hopin’ the fish will do their thing… hope and pray.

Stop and think. Why the cable park now? Why not consider the metronome after the soon to be implemented hotel and related esplanade has been ergonomically engineeeeered into our scenic Gorge? Financially, won’t the cable park still “work” after the new hotel and “improvements” are added?

BTW - Josh, I wish there was a happy ending to this story but according to fair maiden, I’m still an assxxle. I’m truly hoping you don’t run into fair maiden – perhaps by then she’ll have switched to eBooks (for your sake)!

Columbia just won the internets !!!! BEST POST EVER!!!

This discussion is now officially over!

Derek
phazle5499

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky asks:

"I'd sincerely like to ask you, if the courts decided against you, instead determining that a cablepark could be built, would that end your opposition, or would you simply seek other avenues to continue your opposition to the park?"
Yes, of course, I would respect the courts decision should they determine that a cable park could be built in the basin. That does not mean that I would ever believe that a cable park should be built here or that it is a good idea. In my opinion, it would always be a blight on the landscape in the heart of the gorge. It would be best, of course, if the Naitos and the Port were to decide on their own that this cockamayme plan for a cable park should be dropped. In the absence of that, a determination by the courts is in order, and the Port has been asked to join in a declaratory judgment in this matter.
My own opinion is that the proponents of the cable park are attempting to "take" something that the public use doctrine states quite clearly belongs to the public. I find it incredible that the proponents of the cable park would be so surprised that the opponents are unyielding in protecting these rights.
Let's let the courts determine who is right in this matter--the public or a private developer and a special interst group of cable riders. The opponents believe the public will ultimately prevail. Let's find out.
timsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: To the 150 people in the basin guy. Reply with quote

I went kiting late yesterday and it was a really magical experience.

There was parking right there, I didn't have to drive around looking for parking. I didn't have to walk a quarter mile barefoot over broken glass and dog shit. There wasn't hundreds of people, it was quite and all was right with the world the sun was on a slow decent. The lighting was good, the wind was good. Nobody was trying to crash their kites into me or show off just upwind. No it was just me and the mountains and rivers and fish and birds chirping. The people I did see were friendly and in merry moods. July and Aug when it's a zoo down there these tranquil kite days feel more like survival. Anyway I'm sure glad it was virtually just me last night. A very special evening was had.

And to the 150 people in the basin guy....... YESSSS... maybe we could have thousands of people a day come down to the basin in peak summer madness. Traffic could back up on the bridge and up highway 35 and maybe we could even get traffic to back up on 84 a bit. Parking could be nill and we could have fat bikers and tourists loitering all over the roadsides ooohing and ahhing about the grand show of hood river and asking questions to every tan blonde guy just trying to get to the beach. Meanwhile their dogs shitting in between the already dog shit everywhere and the mcdonalds rappers are blowing out of passenger doors and maybe their could be more drinking and partying and glass in my feet. Yess. Maybe we could entice a whole new generation of kiters to move here forcing the already tight summer rental market higher and higher. more more yesss yessss starting to feel it in my pants again. Zip lines bungee jumping, chairlifts from downtown to the heights, more brew pubs, more restaurants, waterfront strip bars go cart tracks more more more more. Maybe we could get floridians and hawaiins and japanase to visit and spend and spend and move here and all the realtors could sell more and more and the construction guys could build and build a boom for all a mini gold rush. YESSSSSSSSS.......
puppydog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do cable riders wear shorts over or under wetsuit?
ggbggb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. What happened? Update?
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog wrote:
Do cable riders wear shorts over or under wetsuit?

ROFLMAO!

ggbggb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: To the 150 people in the basin guy. Reply with quote

timsaunders wrote:
I went kiting late yesterday and it was a really magical experience.

There was parking right there, I didn't have to drive around looking for parking. I didn't have to walk a quarter mile barefoot over broken glass and dog shit. There wasn't hundreds of people, it was quite and all was right with the world the sun was on a slow decent. The lighting was good, the wind was good. Nobody was trying to crash their kites into me or show off just upwind. No it was just me and the mountains and rivers and fish and birds chirping. The people I did see were friendly and in merry moods. July and Aug when it's a zoo down there these tranquil kite days feel more like survival. Anyway I'm sure glad it was virtually just me last night. A very special evening was had.

And to the 150 people in the basin guy....... YESSSS... maybe we could have thousands of people a day come down to the basin in peak summer madness. Traffic could back up on the bridge and up highway 35 and maybe we could even get traffic to back up on 84 a bit. Parking could be nill and we could have fat bikers and tourists loitering all over the roadsides ooohing and ahhing about the grand show of hood river and asking questions to every tan blonde guy just trying to get to the beach. Meanwhile their dogs shitting in between the already dog shit everywhere and the mcdonalds rappers are blowing out of passenger doors and maybe their could be more drinking and partying and glass in my feet. Yess. Maybe we could entice a whole new generation of kiters to move here forcing the already tight summer rental market higher and higher. more more yesss yessss starting to feel it in my pants again. Zip lines bungee jumping, chairlifts from downtown to the heights, more brew pubs, more restaurants, waterfront strip bars go cart tracks more more more more. Maybe we could get floridians and hawaiins and japanase to visit and spend and spend and move here and all the realtors could sell more and more and the construction guys could build and build a boom for all a mini gold rush. YESSSSSSSSS.......
ggbggb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Tim. I quoted you but my txt got cut off.

Tim captured why it is I drive from PDX to HR almost daily during the season- to get away from all that bullshit and experience wind/swell & nature, NOT STEEL CONTRAPTION, nirvana. If you want a circus life, move to PDX, build a cablepark on the Willamette, hangout during the summer evenings with all the other clowns & carnival freaks, with their traffic jams and cotton candy, and walk back to the high life of the Pearl and your condo, satiated with your business success, cut a few lines in your mirrored lounge, and ....whatever.
jsampiero

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggbggb wrote:
build a cablepark on the Willamette, hangout during the summer evenings with all the other clowns & carnival freaks, with their traffic jams and cotton candy, and walk back to the high life of the Pearl and your condo, satiated with your business success, cut a few lines in your mirrored lounge, and ....whatever.

Cable park = cocaine.

Please make a giant, large sign that says this, and bring it to the next meeting. Seriously, please.

My personal website: www.youneedjosh.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 7 of 15

Jump to: