myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
West Dennis Beach yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inlandsea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good points and I will certainly be asking about all beaches in Dennis.

Im not sure if it was torn down or if the town took down the Windsurfing Sign at West Dennis yesterday, but the timing is interesting.
I will check on that.

Philip

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Hi Phil,

Thanks for taking the lead on this. I appreciate it.

T
Caribchakita

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: West Dennis Mayhem Reply with quote

When you see an insane wind, go to another south shore beach..I know hanging with the friends is part of the scene but truly, why even go there? There are a plethora of beaches that you can enjoy off season. I was not present this particular day but the police/harbour master scene..wow...

I miss sailing West Dennis but had a blissfull summer on Bonaire and it was windy....too much BS, really..plovers and now this?

The swimmers, by the way have TONS of beach access..let the kiters and windsurfers play...kiters to the right, windsurfers to the left...

Peace

Twitter: bonairebliss
WaterKook

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should just ban swimming like in Chatham!!!! Wink
inlandsea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't read all of these posts, just the first page. I just want to say that wow, friction w/the town issues aside, that's great that there's enough interest in windsports to have 100 people on the water at a launch. I haven't seen those numbers on the cape in years. I hope you can find a good solution.

I had enough problems with access at WD during the late 90s through mid 2000s that I stopped going there. Once the daily parking prices hit $12, $15, $18, $20, and now even $25 (weekends--ouch), that was just too much for me, especially considering I was a high school and college student at the time, living just over the town line, so no resident beach sticker for me. I worked out some temporary solutions along the way--years ago they would let you stay if you arrived before the parking people in the morning, so I'd get up early and make a day of it. But one year without warning they changed policy and started ticketing for that. Then I worked out parking at a friend's house nearby. The gate attendants would let me in to the beach to drop my gear off, then ask me to honk on my way out to show I'd left. I would park at my friend's about a mile away, then rollerblade back. One year the police took issue with me rollerblading and pulled me over, shouting in my face. I wasn't grinding or being disrespectful, just using my skates for fitness and transportation. There wasn't a posted rule against that that I could find, and I researched, even online. Plenty of people were biking in that same lot, not wearing helmets and weaving all over the place, but I guess that was okay. I tried rollerblading in again the next day, thinking it was a fluke, and same but even stronger shouting routine. That incident meant goodbye to my WD days. I had better luck finding free or after season launches in Yarmouth, either from Seagull or from Lewis Bay, where you could sail across to Kalmus and still have company on the water.

Anyway, I'm sorry that happened, and I hope you can find a resolution. WD is a great spot to sail and I miss it.
amarie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, one more thing, from the swimmers' perspective, as I'm also a long-distance open-water swimmer. I used to like WD for swimming because you can rack up a few miles of training without going back and forth too much. I agree with paulf. in an earlier posting. The buoys are out pretty far. If you try swimming as far out as the buoys (not crossing beyond them, mind you), the lifeguards still flip out. They start standing on their chairs, whistling, and when you come in, you get a stern talking to for going out too far. So I don't know why they set the swim area that far out if they whistle at you for using that space, especially if you're doing so competently (bright colored swim cap, just straight freestyle swimming and no horseplay). This happened to me about 5 years ago, before the great white panic.
phazer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One obvious problem is that the swim area is too big. I am talking about after season, when no one is in the water but a few people. So why don"t they make it alot smaller after Labor Day and this problem would be solved. And the bouys are too far out as well. I have been windsurfing and kiting there for about 35 yrs and this safety issue thing has been talked about before. I just takes a little common sense, which can be hard to find sometimes. As far as the kite hitting a car, accidents will happen, get over it. And I do know for sure windsurfing and kiting is allowed on the north side beaches. The town tried to stop it but failed many years ago, like someone said, check the minutes of the town meetings in the past and you will see for yourself. It sounds like there are new town officials who don"t know the history of all this and therefore don't know what there talking about. I remember Jeff Brown battled with the town many years ago for windsurfing access and got it approved and dug up some very interesting facts regarding public access that the town tried to take away. It pays to know the history of all this so good luck Phil when you talk to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: