myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What impact will 13-15 liters make?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windyjones

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more float will help you at berkeley but know that you need to consider the lull when rigging there. If the sensor is reading average 20 but the lull is 15 your probably not gonna plane. If the sensor is reading average 20 but the lull is 17 or better it will probably be an ok day.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlemmens wrote:
Im 200lbs and use a 107 freestyle board with my large sail being a 5.4..

What make/model board do you sail?
windmaddness

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best solution is to get OUT of Berkeley!
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF you actually read my post, you'll find that I recommend both a bigger board AND a bigger sail. 6.3 is too small for normal good Berkeley days, unless you weigh 150 and can pump with the best.
6.3 sails can hold onto 28 mph winds pretty normally, so it's the medium wind sail, not the light wind sail.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windyjones wrote:
more float will help you at berkeley but know that you need to consider the lull when rigging there. If the sensor is reading average 20 but the lull is 15 your probably not gonna plane. If the sensor is reading average 20 but the lull is 17 or better it will probably be an ok day.

Thanks. Will definitively keep an eye on that.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
IF you actually read my post, you'll find that I recommend both a bigger board AND a bigger sail. 6.3 is too small for normal good Berkeley days, unless you weigh 150 and can pump with the best.
6.3 sails can hold onto 28 mph winds pretty normally, so it's the medium wind sail, not the light wind sail.

Yes. I did. Thank you. Definitely looking into that.

My previous question regarding board make/model was directed at rlemmons.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Point: does any of know so precisely what the ambient wind speed is on the water at our sail that we can compare 18-19 to 20 mph with any validity? Over the internet?

Which is why I noted the location is Berkeley... A site well known to read high.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info! About five years ago I demoed an Mistral Syncro around 105-110 liters. I only had it for a day and it was a pretty solid day. Despite that, I did notice quicker planing. However, it felt really squirrelly and out of control on the chop (like it was just slapping the tips of waves). Are the boards you describe a bit more friendly on the waves? Another difference was that it was much slower than my Veloce. That is a big difference I notice on 25+ days: I scream by other sailors.

Thx again for the help!

PAmuddog wrote:
Howdy!

I would suggest you bite the bullet and invest in a more modern board, 2006 or later. Believe me, the fun factor is well worth it, especially since you need to maximize your sessions.

The extra volume in the old school board is most likely in the thickness. You need width and an effiecent planning bottom surface.

The improvement in boards in the last few years is astounding. They plane up in a fart, jybe like a dream, and handle all the chop thrown at it. One will work well with your Panther, probably in most conditions Berkeley has to offer. Toss the 1998 Ezzy or use it for a landsailor.

Being the same weight I would recommend a flat 100-115L short and wide Freeride board for early planning. The wider the better. Some Freestyle boards work if they are more "freeridey" like the JP's, RRd's etc. Pass on the dedicated Freestyle board.

Freestyle/wave boards have more rocker (for wave riding) and will be sticky to plane so pass on those.

Slalom boards plane early but usually have hard rails and tend to be very nervous on the water for an intermediate sailor. Pass on those.

Demo or rent a prospective purchase. Modern freeride boards are forgiving and easy to sail. Pass on it if you are having trouble during your first session.

Well, that's my nickles worth.
Hope you find what you need.

Happy sailing! Smile

Last edited by jwallace on Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx. Appreciate the info -- especially on fins!

1008keyroute wrote:
My take, go big. I'm no lightweight....so it all scales up a bit for me.
I used to wavesail Maui on 80-90ltrs, but find east bay takes a little more size.

120L flow with a 7.5 sail has offered good airs and swell slashes this season.
The key element to tie it all together is a generous fin, decide if you want to go slalom (mfc liquid pro..etc) or manuverable (mfc K1-free ride). Something big like 36/38cm.

Too much wind will make this setup fin over, but You already seem to have the gear for more wind.
jwallace

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... You really know those sites! Typically, what month does Berkeley and Pt Isabel turn on?

windsrf wrote:
Much of your issue may be related to sensor location and "precision vs. accuracy".

After many years of sailing at His Lords and Pt. Isabel and ALWAYS using my handheld rotameter at same locations each time, I can state with some authority that the Berk sensor reads high by at least 2-4 mph, probably due to its location way above the roof of the restaurant where it must be to avoid the wind blockage that would otherwise occur. Standard mantra is that winds slow as they approach waterline/elevation due to surface drag, etc. Thus, I don't even bother to try sailing there unless iWind avg is 19-20, and at that point my gauge standing on the riprap is probably reading 15-17. Under those conditions, I almost always go out with my 7.0 and 105 L Mike's Lab (vol approximate - I'm 6'6" and 180). It would have to be avg 18-20 with MY Gauge to use my 6.3. Then if avg is mid-20's I can enjoy my 5.6 (but I usually rig big anyway - better to be OP'd).

Conversely, at Pt. Isabel the gauge reads "low", probably due to location but also due to channeling of the winds there. My gaPuge at the shoreline might read quite low compared to few hundred yards offshore. My practice there is to go when iWind reports avg of at least 17. IWind gauge is over by the radio station bldg/sewage treatment plant and can miss the winds if they are blowing more from Gate towards Carquinez Bridge.

Hope this helps - but you may still often need a larger sail, at least the case this year.

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: