myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Happy to wear a helmet
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bkiggins

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this is where someone chimes in to explain how kiteboarding is dangerous, but windsurfing is perfectly safe.

Laughing
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that’s important to remember is that you want a helmet that has ear covers. Even if you’re not looping, you can whipped pretty good on a catapult and if you hit the water ear-first, you’ll probably rupture an eardrum….which sucks. Wake boarding helmets are perfect for windsurfing. I use a ProTec Ace wakeboard helmet with the ear protectors. It’s by FAR the best helmet I’ve ever used: super comfortable, you can hear just fine, really light weight, and good protection. It looks good too.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wearing a helmet religiously for over 20 years, regardless of wind strength. In my view it's wise precaution, much like wearing a seat belt while driving a car. You never know when an unexpected will occur, so it's prudent to be prepared. Some may view helmets as uncool, or that they somehow interfere with vision or hearing, but I could care less what others think, and I don't find any downside that affects awareness. Hell, I always wear earplugs too, and I can still hear quite well with a helmet that covers my ears.

Once I bought my first original Gath helmet, I was totally sold on their design. They are super light and tight fitting, and the inside padding is all closed cell material that doesn't not absorb water. The only part of the helmet that does absorb water is the neoprene section in the front covering part of your forehead, but I've never found that to be a problem. In fact, it's an important design feature that totally prevent bucketing from water intrusion. If I had any complaint, it would be that after many years of use, the neoprene is starting to disintegrate because of exposure to sunscreen. I wish I could buy a replacement part to avoid having to buy a new helmet.
MattD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone suggest a helmet that protects the face also? I've occasionally seen someone wearing a helmet with a wire grid across the face but have never been able to find it online. If someone could give me a brand/model with full face protection, I'd really appreciate it! Perhaps they aren't made anymore?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I far prefer batter's helmets. They come in countless graphic designs and colors in a dozen brands, they have integral visors, they include or offer face guards, they cost less than half of what WSing helmets cost, they happen to fit me better, and you can find them at any sporting goods store from Walmart to Sports Authority. Every helmet I've tried except the Gath is noisy as all hell, but I demand a faceguard so I wear noisy helmets plus earplugs. (A simple soft plastic Christmas tree type earplug barely tight enough to stay in place is sufficient; I didn't like my custom ProPlugs.) The one drawback of batter's helmets is their water-absorbent foam, which drips water into your eyes. I cover the forehead foam with duct tape to stop the drip.
mrchocky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattD wrote:
Can anyone suggest a helmet that protects the face also? I've occasionally seen someone wearing a helmet with a wire grid across the face but have never been able to find it online. If someone could give me a brand/model with full face protection, I'd really appreciate it! Perhaps they aren't made anymore?

"obviously", and to address other concerns here, you need to go out there with a full baseball catcher's outfit - wire facemask, chest padding and huge gloves. A comedy sight for sure.

As for other threads on the matter, yes there are lots. Buy many of those end up being arguments about whether it's a good idea or not, and the threads are older too. I'm after products that are available right now, obviously, and the specific pros/cons of *those*. However, some good suggestions here.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I researched and bought my last helmet last year. Given the hundreds of options, the $25 price with faceguard, and the street corner and keyboard availability, how current do you have to be? If a new one you just have to have hits the market next week, buy it. If yours gets dirty or fades, buy another. If a loose dog takes a dump in your helmet at the Event Site, put it in the dog owner's car, lock the doors, and buy a new one. It's not like they cost real money, and that last one is well worth $25.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a used Shred Ready kayak helmet 5$ at a rental shop. The Sesh is a half cut model and is perfect for me. I'm intermediate and sailing in lake and rivers. I would consider upgrading to a Gath only if I was sailing in the ocean surf to get a very snug fit.
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a mysterious mishap a couple of years ago where my head and the mast hit each other and I saw blue stars. I immediately put in, walked up to the windsurf shop, and bought a helmet (Gath). I would not sail without it now.

In another stupid mishap, the mast and my face had a hard collision. I was wearing both the helmet and Seaspecs sunglasses. Between the two, I ended up with a bruise over my eyebrow. I suspect that could have turned out as a fractured orbit or eye injury if I'd not been wearing both protective measures.

The helmet also provides good sun protection for areas where sunscreen often does not stay well enough to remain effective.

Sadly, the helmet is blue, and has been the apparent cause of more than one kid at the beach asking me if I'm some sort of beach cop or lifeguard.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes no helmet will help. I've rocked my brain from the inside out once. Hit a really high jump and land so flat that everything went white for a second. Kinda scary.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: