myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
West Dennis Beach yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been Emailing with Harbormaster Terry Clen, for last few days.
He and I worked closely together a few years ago to create official access for Hobie Cats at Swan River beach in Dennis. He is asking that I become involved in this process again.

I had sent an earlier email regarding the North side access and swim bouys still there.

Here are today's conversations:
(normally I never post online what I recieve for private emails, but in this case this is important info to share)

9/13/12 Terry Clen wrote:

In conversations with the beach director he states the only approved wind surfer area is restricted to the wind surfer area at WEST DENNIS BEACH. This is the only public beach where it is allowed in the Town. The fact that this type of activity happens at other places has never been authorized. This has not been approved at all by the Board of Selectman who controls all Town Public Beaches. The area at West Dennis Beach was approved 12/05/00.

My reply:

Hello Terry,

I would firmly disagree that other Dennis beaches have not been apporved for windsurfing.

I was at the Selectmen Meeting & played a key role back in 2000, this was discussed in detail and was accepted that the North Side Beaches, Chapin, Mayflower- Bayview & Coorporation were not an issue for access or safety concerns, during OFF SEASON, or after 5PM Summer season.

If you check the minutes of the meeting I am certain of this!
All Selectmen agreed, so this was not an issue and we did not pursue official documentation.

The only reason that West Dennis Beach was 'written into authorization' was due to the access requested, during SUMMER, and while swim bouys were in place.
Off season was accpeted that access would be allowed.
We need to seriously revisit this Selectmen meeting in 2000 and be assured that no one has changed the outcome of those decisions years ago. We should not have to work again for what was granted years ago.

Thanks,

Jeff
shreddbob

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...thanks Jeff and Phil for not letting things slip away.

Wondering about Saturday morning with a possible NW at Corp. Will common sense be enough or are we still in an ambiguous situation and bad things could happen even if everyone is on best behavior? If swim buoys are still up there is it because the town is saying it's still "in season" and sailing/kiting is off limits??

Beach clean up +!
sail and keg party after Cool
danothemano

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: moron Reply with quote

inlandsea wrote:

We have a responsibility to act in a manor that shows we can persure our sports responsibly. One person gets struck by a windsurfer/Kite and forget about it.

!

Ummmm, yeah...has a windsurfer (or should I say poleboarder) ever hit a car or a person in the water? Stop landing on your head, kook.
jkrug

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: moron Reply with quote

danothemano wrote:

Ummmm, yeah...has a windsurfer (or should I say poleboarder) ever hit a car or a person in the water? Stop landing on your head, kook.

i saw a woman get knocked on her ass by a flying windsurf rig at Kalmus. so relax there, danotheboyo.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...here we go again..... PLEASE STOP THE BASHING!

Folks, we have potential access being threatned in the town of Dennis! They don't care if its kiteing or windsurfing.
They don't care if it was windsurfing that gained access initially.
They DO care that a single group of representation speak before them & possible Selectmen meeting to continue!

Time to stop bickering & insulting one another about this kite/vs windsurf.
(Sorry if I poked some fun earlier)

Time to get serious and get organized! No one single person should represent this next phase. I for one do not want to stand there before them again, but I would be willing to help advise.

Please help out and keep this thread, or other related subject threads free from the BS accusations and retorhic.

Jeff
inlandsea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: moron Reply with quote

jkrug wrote:
danothemano wrote:

i saw a woman get knocked on her ass by a flying windsurf rig at Kalmus. so relax there, danotheboyo.

Touche' Krug.
I have seen a swimmer get hit by a windsurfer and it was not a good scene.
The Person was not seriously injured, but it did get the beach shut down for a while until rules based on common sense were implimented.I have seen windsurfing rigs blow into the parking lot and do damage to cars.
I have seen boards and rigs blow down the beach.

It is because of people like Dano that we have to impliment rules that are common sense to most.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:
...here we go again..... PLEASE STOP THE BASHING!

Folks, we have potential access being threatned in the town of Dennis! They don't care if its kiteing or windsurfing.
They don't care if it was windsurfing that gained access initially.
They DO care that a single group of representation speak before them & possible Selectmen meeting to continue!

Time to stop bickering & insulting one another about this kite/vs windsurf.
(Sorry if I poked some fun earlier)

Time to get serious and get organized! No one single person should represent this next phase. I for one do not want to stand there before them again, but I would be willing to help advise.

Please help out and keep this thread, or other related subject threads free from the BS accusations and retorhic.

Jeff

Jeff, Its in the works, I have been in contact with the town and we have a meeting set up to discuss the beaches in west Dennis. I have had a good ongoing relationship with the town for the last ten years.
Thanks for the offer of your assistance, but we are good for now.
If we need additional people we will let you know.

Philip
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Phil,
Please keep us informed of when & where meetings are to be held, and what the results are.
Because you personally have had relations with town for last 10 years, and you intend to represent the community, its then your responsibiltiy of notifications of public meetings regarding access for all.

Personally, I beleive an organization with elected officials is needed here. Which is what we did with the Dennis Windsurfing Association, working as a team, to achieve what we did years ago.
(As well as the Swan River Hobie Assoc.)

No one person can do this alone to fairly represent a group of concerned people. Its a democracy.

Jeff
inlandsea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Town of Dennis is a Democracy and the tax paying Voters elect the Selectmen and the Selecmen make the descisions for the people.

I don't live in the town of Dennis, so I dont have a vote in their Democracy.

As I said, I have been working with the town with positive results for 10 years with up until now no problems that couldnt be solved with a phone call or email.

This I feel can be dealt with the small group that we have together for now.

If there is a wish to get together a more formal group I have no problem with that, but we need to deal with the here and now.

Is there some concern in particular you would like me to address?
I will be happy to bring it up.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An organization is a democracy as well. When you go to bat and say "we" windsurf & kiters, you are representing a democracy, not just the voice of your own opinions.
Please just keep us all informed , meetings, ect.

When I worked to organize any communications with the town, I was cognizant of speaking “on behalf” of others. In this way with an elected officer to an organization, the representative was able to appease all members concerns.
I was clear in setting up the Dennis Windsurfing Association that folks felt represented.
I was also clear, after raising the 3K for the club’s donation to the town, that someone else more local be officially elected president, someone whom actually owned Dennis property as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: