myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Regripping deck?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
speedysailor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Surfboard wax works GREAT.
If you think it's dusty out, flip the board over to avoid the sun.
If deck get's dirty, hose it off with HOT water. Takes 2 minutes, then reapply wax to your favorite stepping stone.
How do you put hot water in a pressure hose? I'm serious about this. I tried Re-deck, do-it-yourself acrylics, etc. A lot depends on the board shell material. If it's polyethylene nothing but wax will hold. The same goes for the shells of the old quality Mistral boards. Consequently, I have decided to use the wax.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KevinDo wrote:
Just tried the Monster traction spray paint. Works pretty well! Just dont spray a heavy coat the first time..

Yeah, "that" didn't happen to me. I read the instructions and watched a couple vids about the Monster traction spray paint... they all said, just do a few light coats... to wait approx 10 min between coats.
So, that's what I did. It's REALLY easy and fast. And it came out perfect.

And to mchaco 1 - It DOES leave a factory original finish. You can decide how much GRIP you want. I only did 2 coats, but they recommend 3 to 4 . I figured, if I wanted it grippier, I could add more... but am totally happy with just two.

Speedysailor, Yes and no. No, I don't think the Monster stuff would stick to old Poly boards for very long. But yes, it will stick to old Mistral boards. I washed 'em first (like washing a car) then dried them completely... and the traction paint sticks perfectly.

And somebody asked about putting this on a custom finish, for a special board. I would. This stuff is totally clear and doesn't yellow.

Sorry guys... not trying to sound like a salesman Smile
I don't have any connection to this company... I don't work for any supplier of it or anything to do with a windsurfing shop or anything.
Anyway, I'm not a big project kinda guy, so this stuff was awesome in putting great grip on my old production boards, with super easy effort.
Greg -
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GOOP spray product with 1-2 coats does not have a huge amount of grit

3-4 somewhat more, but not enough to cause abrasions.

When I looked at the cost of Monster VS GOOP and availabity the GOOP won out, without trying the Monster I surmise it is similar to GOOP.

I did run across some anti skid deck paint for boats that may be the bomp, but $ was prohibitive for occasional use.

Surf wax is a pretty cheap and eco friendly grip, I guess easy enough to scrape off when the build up is excessive

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... without trying the Monster I surmise it is similar to GOOP."

U2U2U2 - Why do you think that the Goop product is similar to the Monster product?

Not arguing Smile
Just curious... why you figured they were the same thing. Cause if they are... and one is way cheaper... I'd like to know.

Anyway, how much abrasiveness, we each want may vary.
All I can say is, I've been windsurfing for just over 30 years... on lots of production boards and lots of custom boards.
And I'm nore than happy with the grip provided by 2 coats of the Monster stuff. I don't slip any more... yet it doesn't hurt, carrying the board under my arm. (If I wanted more, I'd do the 3 or 4, they suggest.)
I will admit though, that it was a bit too much for a gal that was sailing one of my boards. She described a fall to me, where her knee slid across the deck a bit, before she ended up in the water. And her knee was a bit bloody from the abrasion, not horrible... but, noticable.
So, I think she'd say, that 2 coats of Monster traction paint was too abrasive Smile
Greg -
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregnw44 wrote:
"... without trying the Monster I surmise it is similar to GOOP."

U2U2U2 - Why do you think that the Goop product is similar to the Monster product?

Not arguing Smile
Just curious... why you figured they were the same thing. Cause if they are... and one is way cheaper... I'd like to know.

Greg -

well , the contents that I can find are similar, least the ones on the cans, acetone, resin, propane, butane.... etc, some of the contents are proprietary and therefore won't be disclosed.
The Monster product is from California, Dana Point and in speaking with the owner Jim Davis, 949 842-2273,
the base is epoxy and compatible with all windsurf board finishes, it is clear with a UV protectant, and non yellow agent.

I can NOT profess to know that one is better than the other or a better value for the money, but yes I stand by my remark, they are similar.

Susan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 -
Can you provide a link to the Goop product?
What's the name of it?
I'm not familiar with it.

If it's easily available... I'll get a can and compare them.

Thanks,
Greg (using a friend's account)
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, boy ... a boy named Sue! Johnny Cash would feel vindicated.

I'm looking forward to your comparison between Goop and Monster. I have one board whose graphics are too spectacular to cover up with pads.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOOP epoxy anti skid clear with grit

doing a internet search will provide multi locations to purchase, I ordered mine at West Marine, which is near by.

it appears Auto Zone also supplies it.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Eclectic-11-oz-clear-Goop-all-purpose-anti-skid-epoxy-with-grit/_/N-25y6?itemIdentifier=966162_0_0_

Susan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2...
Thanks for the info.

And sorry. I hadn't followed your earlier post where you mentioned it by name and description.

I clicked on "that one"... and it led me to a Goop anti-skid product that was white. But then found the other version of it there, that is clear.

And, I see that the one Auto Zone sells, is clear.
I can check West-Marine as well (also where you said you got it).

And yes, Isobars, The Monster version is totally clear and doesn't yellow.

Greg Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: