myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What's a good all around Berkeley board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jocomo317

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: What's a good all around Berkeley board? Reply with quote

I'm looking at a RRD 96L or 101L FSW for Berkeley. Any thoughts? I have a RRD 85L FSW. I weigh 165, long time 3rd Ave, Crissy, and Rio sailor.
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Individual preference, and exactly how they made the board for the given year of your choice.
You can float both, even the 91 JPFSW.
In general, JP's are livelier and more responsive, while RRD's are smoother, less jarring, but a little muted in feel.
So it depends on what you like the feeling of while sailing.
Both handle the medium wind range of Berkeley, neither works for the lighter wind days (like currently), and the higher wind days of spring.
human_catapult

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best board for Berkeley is the one you can sail to a place that is actually windy.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wind is quite a bit lighter at Berkeley. Of the two boards you listed, I would opt for the larger one depending on your efficiency, what sails you have and your propensity for slogging or sailing underpowered.

Something in the 63-65cm width seems to work well for a lot of sailors there... more experienced/efficient can go smaller.

I rarely sail anything smaller than my freestyle board 99l/64.5cm wide there @ 175lbs.

YMMV

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once in a blue moon, it can get get decent at Berk.
Last week, two days, got to use my 49.5cm wide, 77 liter RoqueWave high wind slalom there with a 5.5 sized sail (well one day 5.5, the other 5.4). Planing out of at least 80% of jibes, nicely powered in the straights. It can happen, but lately more like once a month.
This year is a banner NW wind year, good for SouthBay, but not Berkeley. You'd have to drive all the way to PtIsabelle to get wind on the NW clear days lately. In sping, you have to drive to either R&G or the Stick to get solid winds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: