myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
which board to chose : jp freestyle wave or thruster?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panossurf

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: which board to chose : jp freestyle wave or thruster? Reply with quote

Hi!
I surf in Greece more or less 10 years. not regurarly Sad
I already have a superx jp 96lt and a wave AMD Kauli pro 76lt.
I'm interested in buying a board around 85lt. Do you have any suggestions ?I am between freestyle-wave 84lt trifin and thruster 82(I think 92 is very close to my 96 superx)
I use EZZY sails and masts plus chinook carbon boom. Here the conditions are more choppy than open seas and now I'm trying to make forward loop(hopefully Smile )
Your advise will be helpfull!
thanks in advance
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you have large steep offshore waves, the single fin will probably be better. typically, i don't like the feel of the extra drag from multifin boards. with the exception of the older, larger HiFly Mad's and the current Exocet Twixx, multi fin boards become very technically specific in their performance. for bump and jump in a bay, stay with single fins.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panossurf
You might want to check out this tread from WarDog about Thruster fins vs single fin boards. Just to get another opinion on the multi fin boards. http://s232207908.onlinehome.us/Exocet/forum/read.asp?ID=1325 Hope this helps cheers. Michael
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

warren sails in some pretty awesome large wave venues with lots of side off winds. i sail in mainly side on conditions with lots more humble waves. side off, the need for immediately accessible top speeds while trying to get out is less prevalent. add to the presence of following current, one may wish to avoid too much drag. more emphasis on lift is important.

friend of mine rented a quad in the gorge. he said it was the worst riding board in chop, ever. his observation pertained to the trim he had to reapply over almost every little ripple he encountered. he also added that the length (very short) made the board slog terribly. i base my opinions on conditions that most people have to deal with in less than perfect venues. a debate over what a primarily side off sailor has found vs a side on sailor has is nearly like matter vs antimatter. both may seem to be right for their respective universes.

slogging in the gorge? ever been there, done that? i've had my share. had even more here in florida!

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen
YUp! All good points. Where in Florida do you sail? I'm in St Petersburg and yes I've done my share of slogging on a very short board. Just throwing out the info from WarDog because he has some good in site on the thruster designs. I lived in Corpus Christi and sailed with a bunch of guys that liked those thruster boards but then again it's a high wind venue. Mark's design worked for those guys with most having sails no bigger than a 6.0sqm. I think it's always best to get gear that works for your local area because what works in Maui waves might not work in Gulf waves. Cheers Michael
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ONE suggestion on board is the Tabou Pocket Wave, the last 2 years have 3 fins and can still be used as a single.

it DOES come in a 85L size.

The characteristics of a tri fin that make it attractive are , firmly planted to the water, top and bottom turns are really snappy , and UPWIND sailing is improved with the extra fin area .

There are many boards that would be suitable for your sailing.....

so many choices

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
LeeD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take...
Multi fins are best for slashing, ripping, turning, and changing directions with force and confidence.
Singles almost always go faster, jump higher, jibe fine, plane earlier.
If you sail one style over the other, pick you poison.
Neither is BETTER than the other, as you can use tiny fins on multi's to get speed, or big fins on singles to allow harder turning.
But for go fast, jump high, and jibe at the end of the reach, it's hard to beat singles.
For pure upwind, there are no multi's close to performance of single fins.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sailed boards with 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 fins (many tens of thousands of miles on the latter), and the only generalities I can think of are:
• Extra fins aid lateral traction in rough, even foamy, conditions.
• As with everything from single-finned boards to shoes to hamburgers, every design performs differently.
• Drag, schmag. If ya need more top speed on flat water, buy a racy board with one blade on it. Wanna rip and slash and jump and land pointing wherever the hell you choose and carve insane ant tracks and jibe way faster than you could yesterday and go fast as hell and stay in control in huge gusts in shittygnarly real world chopswell, maybe even foamy white water, buy a board with well-executed extra fins and a hull shaped to achieve the above and let 'er rip. Anything less aggro and you don't need no steenkin' extra fins, and if ya need to plane sooner, rig a bigger frigging sail. (A guy asked me just Monday why I like to use such big sails; the answer was in the number of giant, sucking, deep, frequent holes in the wind I planed through that gusty day and the ease with I blasted downwind and upwind while they were struggling just to plane on a beam reach.)

I rode a Gorge quad that points way higher than any other none-racy board I've ever ridden. I've ridden one that spun out in every gust when powered like I want to be. I've ridden several multifins that are just not up to snuff when pushed anywhere near the point their extra fins might matter. i.e., just like those hamburgers, satisfaction is all over the map. From what I've read in this forum and the magazines, my extensive experience between 20 and 5 years ago, and my much more limited experience on today's new wave of multifins, there's probably more difference between one shape to another than from one fin count to another. I know for certain that I've seen HUGE performance differences between boards that were ostensibly built for the same purpose, and I've seen slightly different fins or just fin positions change a board's behavior dramatically.

Bottom line: fin count guarantees almost nothing all by itself.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
My take...
Multi fins are best for slashing, ripping, turning, and changing directions with force and confidence.
Singles almost always go faster, jump higher, jibe fine, plane earlier.
If you sail one style over the other, pick you poison.
Neither is BETTER than the other, as you can use tiny fins on multi's to get speed, or big fins on singles to allow harder turning.
But for go fast, jump high, and jibe at the end of the reach, it's hard to beat singles.
For pure upwind, there are no multi's close to performance of single fins.

singles for most people are the way to go, the same as Chevy"s are compared to Ferraris. that should give you a laugh.

since for the most part I don't care about how fast I sail, the slower planing multi fins, and slower top speed due to all that extra drag (additional fins and fin area) do NOT bother me. Toe in and asymmetrical fins aide the speed issue on multi fins , it is in its infancy as far as development on windsurf boards. Since a multi fin can beach start closer to shore, as in less water, it may plane sooner than a long single fin .

for a single to plane early AND have up wind potential like a tri fin in my experience it will require a larger fin, either length , more area and or both, having that it will NOT turn anywhere near as well as a 2+1 or thruster setup, that includes both top and bottom turns off the same wave face and just carve jibes.

I am not saying that thruster set ups are for everyone, but if you have the capability of a single or 3 fin option on the same board...

well cake and eat it too comes to mind

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: which board to chose : jp freestyle wave or thruster? Reply with quote

If you're working on looping you want the back of the board to detach from the water easily (if you're going for low loops). Not a multifin assignment. And if you're going for high loops, again, you're better off with a single fin.

panossurf wrote:
Hi!
I surf in Greece more or less 10 years. not regurarly Sad
I already have a superx jp 96lt and a wave AMD Kauli pro 76lt.
I'm interested in buying a board around 85lt. Do you have any suggestions ?I am between freestyle-wave 84lt trifin and thruster 82(I think 92 is very close to my 96 superx)
I use EZZY sails and masts plus chinook carbon boom. Here the conditions are more choppy than open seas and now I'm trying to make forward loop(hopefully Smile )
Your advise will be helpfull!
thanks in advance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: