myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Powerbox adapter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulf.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell the tuttle to someone who needs it, and use the proceeds to buy the power box version.
gobbdogg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't count cure time- walk away and do something else.. And I don't breath the dust- they make things called dust masks...I have tools such as down draft sanding tables, dust systems etc.. But a shop vac would do it also- and if you have any skill with a grinder you can direct the dust stream away- oh yeah, they make ear protection too...
Don't be put off by the naysayers- it's not a big job- all depends on perspective.
Boardhead1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhorton1
It would be easier to take a belt sander and bevel 7degrees off a Tuttle than doing the US box adapter. I have a couple weed fins went from US to PWR box with Fin Works Adapters very easy! You would have to remove a lot of material on a tuttle fin to get to US fin. I did a weed race fin from tuttle to Power box on my table saw and that was way scary even with the jigs. Won't do that again. Belt sanding is safer just lay out the center line on the fin head and then draw a 7 degree bevel in the font and rear of the fin head on both sides sand just shy of the line then shape front and rear bevel check fit do some more sanding until it fit's then drill holes. Still some work but can be done. Good luck! Michael
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recommend the average person with a pair of pliers and a drill to make the conversions, but it IS fun to do and it does take less time than it does for ME to make 120 bucks.
Then again, I like to refoil bigger fins into useful much faster smaller ones, and also cut down the long narrow noses of mid '90''s boards to make something mid 7' in length.
It's nice to have a OCEA approved shop, but directing sanded shards away from your wrists is a good idea, as is a mask and gloves, HazMat suit, googles and covered skin.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sell the tuttle. shovel some snow during winter for $$$ needed to buy a power box. simple and a great fresh air alt?
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the tuttle is incredibly old, so selling it might not be too profitable. This idea was hatched as a something-for-fun thing to do when I have a slow weekend. I think I'll try the belt sander method... along with a shop vac! Here's a picture of the 2 fins being considered for surgery. I'll post another in a couple weeks and let you know how it goes.

fins.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  639.81 KB
 Viewed:  10261 Time(s)

fins.jpg

swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, those fins are relics from a different time. Considering what you're working with, my recommendation would be investing in a more modern fin design, as the overall performance would be unquestionably superior. However, if you looking for a testy project to invest some time in, you'll definitely have your hands full. Should you elect to proceed with the job, I would recommend developing a rock solid holding fixture before you start. Also, eye protection and a good mask are a must. Good luck.
rhorton1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="swchandler"]Man, those fins are relics from a different time.[quote]

Yeah, they were freebies that came along with an old slalom board I picked up... relics from before the age of the brass barrel nuts. The screws thread right into the fiberglass! Since the foils are still in surprisingly good shape, I just thought it may be a fun project to do some experimenting with.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find those fins great for 5.5-6.5 sailing, better for jumps and turns than pure upwind speed, and fine for broad and beam reaching, although a bit off the pace.
OTOH, I've been sailing a same generation RAINBOW swept pointer conversion to PB, and it keeps up with the latest Slabs with Tectonics fins of the right size. Rainbows are considered inferior to your fins for speed and slalom sailing.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, those black bases are resin/plastic, so might sand really weird, gumming everything. Still doable, get a vise, some pad for the fins, and have at it. Lower speed grinder with course disc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: