myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
West Dennis Beach yesterday
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inlandsea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a big perch!
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlandsea wrote:
The bouys are still in.

Not sailing where people are swimming........ seems like common courtesy and common sense.

The normal string of white SWIM bouys that run the entire length of the beach are most certainly NOT still there!

The ONE bouy upwind offshore at Chair 9 to be respected for sailing was there. But again NO ONE KNEW!

And No one is arguing the common courtesy/sense issue.....don't make it one.
inlandsea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what to tell you, other than that the bouys were there.
I rode down near Dennis Port and then back to West Dennis just on the outside of the Swimming Bouys.
I saw every one of them.

Even if the bouys were not there, I dont think riding where people are swimming or attemping to swim is courteous or safe.

As someone who has sailed here for 20 years, you cannot really claim ignorance as to where people generally swim at west dennis or where the swimming area is.

If its not a Common Sense issue, what is it?
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

inlandsea wrote:

Let's face it, we're back in a touchy situation, like it was 20 years ago at WD. This is due to a "perfect storm" of circumstances Saturday, with direct onshore wind and a learned history of "after labor day means no worries" (and all the other variable mentioned here), plus unfortunately added on top of this are the safety concerns raised by town earlier this season. On the one hand, we'd like to think of ourselves as responsible individuals going to the beach to do our thing. On the other hand we are so visible in what we do with windsurfing and kiting, that the inevitable people among us who exercise bad judgement are instantly associated with all of us, so we all need to care. And I agree that cruising at planing speeds just off the beach is pretty bad judgement when there are swimmers, and doing so is a clear violation of common sense. Now is cutting off a corner at an outside swim buoy as big a deal? Maybe yes, maybe no, but I guess the town and all of us need to agree.

The upshot: If the same good but onshore wind and "warm beach day conditions" occur next year, we'd be in the same situation (assuming we still HAVE access at all). Things that would change this for the better? If the town were to greet every windsurfer/kiter as they drove in and give them the rules lecture, this would probably do the trick. But if they do it because they hate us, that's bad. If they do it because we become proactive and start a dialog, that may be better (but who pays for the police or whoever do do this?) The biggest problem is the damn wind! Let's say we have a fund (somehow) to pay for a police detail for post Labor Day weekends for 3 weeks. Chances are there will be no good wind days in September for the next 2 years, people will forget, things will get lax, then 3 years later we're in the same situation. Don't know the perfect answer. Don't live close enough to be directly involved. Would be willing to pay a nominal dues like the old WDBA days though.

An information sheet handed out at the entrance would go a long way too.
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
inlandsea wrote:

Let's face it, we're back in a touchy situation, like it was 20 years ago at WD.

An information sheet handed out at the entrance would go a long way too.

THATS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!
There was NO information regarding the rules in effect for post Labor Day.
This is a NEW restriction that has never been in place in the past 20 years.

Like I said, other beaches, including ones in Dennis, do NOT have this restriction.
WHY?

I believe its a lack of sentiment towards boards & kites at WD.
Someone in Dennis community, or administration is likely making complaints.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole thing is ambiguous. I'd guess if 50 or even 10 windsurfers/kiters showed up at Sea Street and there were swimmers too, there could be trouble there. For all I know, me coming in briefly to downhaul my sail in Yarmouthport set off a flurry of anti windsurfer sentiment over there too. No lifeguards, but there were swim buoys I violated (cautiously, with common sense of course).

Thinking this further, clear rules ARE important. Imagine if no stop signs or signals at traffic intersections. Even if 99 out of 100 cars on the side streets exercised common sense, that 1 reckless car would be enough to cause constant "side street motorists" fear by society. We windsurfers/kiters are always coming out from the side streets in society, so maybe we DO need to have the stop signs (buoys) at all conceivable times of swimmer activity, lifeguards or no?

Right now we're playing the odds of the Massachusetts "rotary" intersection--now there's a place of no rules and fear Shocked

Last edited by shreddbob on Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
inlandsea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:

I believe its a lack of sentiment towards boards & kites at WD.
Someone in Dennis community, or administration is likely making complaints.

It was someone on the beach who made a valid complaint as they were concerned about thier kids being in the water. There was also the Kite v.s Prius incident.

I don't agree that we need to have MORE rules and Signs.

There is a sign there RIGHT NOW that anyone who was in the swimming area obviously did not read! It has no dates on it and no mention of on or off season rules. I dont think putting up another sign that will be ignored will have any effect.

There are bouys out marking the Swimming area that people ignored.

What more do we do?
iceratz@comcast.net

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, a kite hits a car? Humm.

I'll bet it was also a KITE that violated the swim area of the concerned parent... Laughing

....Cuz for more than 20 years, windsurfers post labor day season have never had a problem...at any Cape Cod beach...until now!
shreddbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="inlandsea"]
Iceratz wrote:

There are bouys out marking the Swimming area that people ignored.

What more do we do?

Yes, and now that I've almost convinced myself for the need to have everyone obey the swim buoys in September...another situation comes to mind. There are buoys up at Corporation Beach in Dennis too. I heard they were still present yesterday when several windsurfers/kiters were sailing the NW wind there. It is just not possible to launch from that beach and obey the swim buoys. I heard there were no swimmers, but are we telling ourselves to not sail a NW wind there (thru September let's say) just in case a swimmer enters the water??? Or can we be trusted to use common sense there, staying away from the odd swimmer when we violate the buoys, but we're not allowed to use our common sense to cut a corner at WD to help us get to the outside? Same town, different beach. I guess you could argue that NW winds are cold and less likely for swimmers. But then again, there are those buoys still there. I don't know...this is complex. Maybe it's ok to treat these two beaches differently, so long as we have the trust of the town. Right now we don't. We better watch out or we'll be regulated down to that least common denominator real soon!

At Hookipa Maui they have a 6 surfer rule (I think it's 6) where no windsurfing when 6 or more surfers are in that wave break.

Last edited by shreddbob on Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
inlandsea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iceratz wrote:
Oh, a kite hits a car? Humm.

I'll bet it was also a KITE that violated the swim area of the concerned parent... Laughing

....Cuz for more than 20 years, windsurfers post labor day season have never had a problem...at any Cape Cod beach...until now!

Yes if you read the posts on this thread you would know that.

The kite vs Car incident was a separate incident.

The Harbor master however was called because of many windsurfers and kiters in the swimming area as were the local police.

I know you want to blame it all on kiters, so i am sorry to bust your bubble.

The kiter was totally at fault and should never have been where he was.

Same goes for all the sailors inside the swimming area (marked with the "invisible to some" bouys).

All it takes is a little common sense in the fall, This was an anomoly as had been discussed due to extra people and on-shore winds.

However it all was very avoidable.

Did you read the sign explaining the rules?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: