myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Separate launching area for Kites at Crissy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
victor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone remember the early days of snowboarding when relatively few riders knew wtf they were doing? many if not most resorts prohibited snowboards.

fortunately MOST windsurfers aren't as stuck up and single minded as skiers and can tolerate the few mistakes, mishaps and hotdoggers.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skiers, stuck up and single minded? c'mon man. thats uncalled for, Mr. Victor.
victor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, skiers that don't windsurf or kite, then.
jpf18

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate launching area for Kites at Crissy? Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
Yesterday I was sailing at Crissy and a minor accident happened with a Kite. I had come back to the beach and I was standing just a few yards from the water deciding if to go back in.

I am avoiding these kinds of situations by not lingering around in the launch zone unless it is a slow day as far as beach ops is concerned. It also helps to have planned ahead coming in with the mind made up whether to pack it in or just take a break back at the car or on the seawall or wherever, out of the way. As windsurfers we should best know what it means to hang around downwind off of a bunch of traction kites.
In reference to another post on this threat, I have seen that kite tumbling down the beach and rolling over ppl as well and that strikes me as a ban-worthy issue to the powers-that-be. So to me the kiters don't need windsurfers complaining over something that's so easily avoided considering we should be in the know. Please don't take this personal, that's just how I see it.
As skiing / boarding has been brought up. Perhaps we could consider this the equivalent of pulling over to the side of the slope or moving along at the bottom of the hill and not blocking the entry to the lift line.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate launching area for Kites at Crissy? Reply with quote

jpf18 wrote:
dvCali wrote:
Yesterday I was sailing at Crissy and a minor accident happened with a Kite. I had come back to the beach and I was standing just a few yards from the water deciding if to go back in.

I am avoiding these kinds of situations by not lingering around in the launch zone unless it is a slow day as far as beach ops is concerned. ... Please don't take this personal, that's just how I see it.

Believe me, the "idea" of having a separate launching area for the kites is mostly for their benefit. It would make their launching easier and almost eliminate risks of collisions with beach goers of different kinds.

Same for sailing at the North Tower: this year there was a rather massive kiters rescue over there (in May, it made it to the newspapers). Do a few more of those, that are bound to happen given the encouragement for kites to sail over there, and the coast guard might eventually change its no-charge rescue policies.
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Separate launching area for Kites at Crissy? Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
jpf18 wrote:
dvCali wrote:

I am avoiding these kinds of situations by not lingering around in the launch zone unless it is a slow day as far as beach ops is concerned. ... Please don't take this personal, that's just how I see it.

Believe me, the "idea" of having a separate launching area for the kites is mostly for their benefit. It would make their launching easier and almost eliminate risks of collisions with beach goers of different kinds.

Same for sailing at the North Tower: this year there was a rather massive kiters rescue over there (in May, it made it to the newspapers). Do a few more of those, that are bound to happen given the encouragement for kites to sail over there, and the coast guard might eventually change its no-charge rescue policies.

The big rescue out the gate was 4 windsurfers and 3 kiteboarders, the news media got confused between the two sports and reported it as all kiteboarders. I attended a SFBA safety meeting after that incident and the coast guard is cool about it all.

No need for a seperate kite area on the beach, we are in a national park and it serves all kinds of user groups and needs. We can all get along.

Last edited by Riptide on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate launching area for Kites at Crissy? Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
Devon you were in the big rescue out the gate and were picked up first by the coast guard not wearing a wetsuit, ... No need for a seperate kite area on the beach, we are in a national park and it serves all kinds of user groups and needs. We can all get along.

I am not Devon ... and you are also missing the point of the post that is not about getting or not getting along: it is just a rather obvious idea that would make life on the beach more pleasant for everybody.
Riptide

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Separate launching area for Kites at Crissy? Reply with quote

My misunderstanding and apology in whom I thought was posting this topic. I have edited my previous post.

I disagree with your suggestion of a seperate launch area. My opinion, it is not feasable and we already have informal rules in place. Exclamation
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: