myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Watch the Video - Keep H.R.'s Waterfront Open to The Public
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phazle5499

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. Come float your boat in the boat basin today , (or float your inner tube, water wings, SUP, raft, kayak, canoe, 2X10, whatever you can muster), 12:00 pm to 2:00 pm. Let's keep the public waters of the basin open for ALL users, not just a special interest group of wake boarders and a Portland developer.
phazle5499

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great turn out today for the float-in in the boat basin !! Thanks everyone for showing up to oppose the Naito plan for a cable park in public waters.

Next up is the public testimony in front of the Port Commissioners this coming Wednesday, September 12th, at 5:00 pm at the Hood River Inn (Columbia Room). Each person will have 3 minutes to express their thoughts, opinions and concerns about the cable park. Please come and let your voice be heard.
Bond1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a native Oregonian I'll freely admit that we Oregonians have historically resisted change. As I've grown older I've come to recognize that change can sometimes be good. I'm much more likely now to recognized the positives in a potential change, and say yes when appropriate.

As far as the boat basin goes, if the question to me is, would I be in favor of creating new access for the community, and all who come to visit this place we call home. Would I like to see a nice beach and dock, and a safe place for families to visit and various sorts of on and in the water recreation can take place, my answer would be a resounding yes! But that's not the question. The question is, am I in favor of a cable park. A pay to play basin that would exclude all other forms of recreation. To that I have to say no. Because once that happens, the other question will never be asked.
SamD0g

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letter to the Editor

The Naitos have stirred up a divisive hornet's nest of controversy by continuing to sell the idea of cable wakeboarding in the Nichols Boat Basin. Mr. Naito freely admits that in order to build his hotel he is courting money from China. The Chinese are not stupid and insist on guaranteed rents from the complex before they release any funds. The Naitos are not from the area. They do not live here nor do they participate in any of the activities that support our community. It is a simple sales pitch to take the money and run. Pitting members of the community against each other is an ugly manipulative tactic as old as society itself. By using their power to create a win lose set of options for our community they are showing us who they are. Make no mistake about it. Boardheads, you are being played like a violin. Wake up.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wednesday,September 12, 2012 - 5:00pm - Special Public Meeting
Special Public Meeting

Public testimony is encouraged, up to three minutes per person. Speakers are asked to testify with original material, or to weigh in on points made, but not spend excessive time on repetitive testimony.

deryck.w

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts to ponder....
Develop and improve industrial waterfront property for expanded recreational use that would create more affordable recreation for all genders/ages (most affordable 2nd only to swimming), costing only a fraction of the cost to participate in any wind or paddlesport.
OR
Leave this industrial waterfront property available for what it is zoned for, Light Industrial Development with the intention of bringing in high tech industrial bldng/campus bldng structures.

Those who have been attending meetings for over a year now and participating with the City and the Port to work on the best possible improvments for the community's sake are aware of the real facts.

How aware are you of the REAL facts concerning what this project would and could offer our community.
Adding affordable recreation versus maintaining economically exclusive recreation?
The decision is now on the table for all to learn about and decide on.

the article it provides a pretty good argument http://www.thepoisonoakchronicle.com/cable-park-not-in-my-back-yard/
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: "Float In Video" Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7EB3efEObo
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deryck.w wrote:
Thoughts to ponder....
Develop and improve industrial waterfront property for expanded recreational use that would create more affordable recreation for all genders/ages (most affordable 2nd only to swimming), costing only a fraction of the cost to participate in any wind or paddlesport.
OR
Leave this industrial waterfront property available for what it is zoned for, Light Industrial Development with the intention of bringing in high tech industrial bldng/campus bldng structures.

Those who have been attending meetings for over a year now and participating with the City and the Port to work on the best possible improvments for the community's sake are aware of the real facts.

How aware are you of the REAL facts concerning what this project would and could offer our community.
Adding affordable recreation versus maintaining economically exclusive recreation?
The decision is now on the table for all to learn about and decide on.

the article it provides a pretty good argument http://www.thepoisonoakchronicle.com/cable-park-not-in-my-back-yard/

Hmmm... Sorry.. don't see any good arguments on that blog post.

Demographics are clear on residents and visitors who CURRENTLY enjoy what The Basin offers and how many more might if additional PUBLIC access were engineered onto it’s shores. It’s all over the map – young, old, multi-gender, multi-physical capacity, etc. I’ve been told that paddleboarding, for example, is among, if not THE fasted growing watersport category in the world.

Since I’ve been taking my kids to The Basin I’ve met mostly non-windsurfing, kiteboarding, wakeboarding Mom’s just trying to find a place to enjoy what The Basin offers in a place that’s out of the wind, waves, and current. There are not other places on Hood River’s Waterfront that offer these characteristics, which is exactly why the developer finds is desirable also.

If you compare marketing demographics on paddleboarders, kayakers, canoers, etc., it is clearly a broader, more diverse, and growing group of potential patrons, tenants, customers for whatever future developments are planned for The Naito property and Lot #1. Just maybe not yours.

There are really only three types of supporters of this proposed cable-park:

- those who think they can make money off of it,
- those who think it would be “fun”
- and those who don’t care about The Basin because they don’t currently
use it.

You clearly fit into one if not all of these categories.

Given the access restrictions, negative visual, and potentially detrimental environmental impacts the proposed cable-park would have, I don’t feel any of your arguments are compelling enough to approve this so you can make some money.

There are already lots of people having “fun” in The Basin and I believe that number will grow substantially if additional public access were to be developed in conjunction with existing, planned, or envisioned commercial developments on The Basins shores.

There are also several local businesses already making money on the sale of paddleboards, kayaks, canoes, fishing gear, swimming apparel etc. Should they ask to take over 2/3rds of the basin for their exclusive use and charge $’s for it’s use I’ll oppose them too. But they’re not.

The Marina is already there and not at issue right now.

There are no loggers asking to use The Basin.

You have your chance to make your case to The Port, The City, The Army Corp, The Public and if it comes to it, probably a legal court. So get involved.

Implying that those who enjoy what The Basin offers are not being honest, wasting peoples time, are reactionary or are being ridiculous is not constructive and I doubt will win you any supporters.

CU Sailin’

CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Kids at The Waterfront. Reply with quote

Start at 5:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LNnr5vWUw

tweeky

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kids at The Waterfront. Reply with quote

CUSalin wrote:
Start at 5:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_LNnr5vWUw

Only because you posted in two threads, again, sincerely, I don't see what that video has to do with the basin issue...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: