myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
same old story, the long board rules
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: same old story, the long board rules Reply with quote

excerpt from a post on the yahoo group ecfw discussion:

labor day swell, a snapshot of the upcoming week long swell:

head high peaks, long intervals, super long lines, and side onshore wind 8-10
mph. low tide made for some really long, fun rides yesterday.

yup, i'm an old broken record. the fun is super accessable with the 11'8" wind
SUP. i got the most out of isaac, and i got the most out of yesterday.

gotta go set up for surf expo today, but should be able to snag an hour or so
tonight.

hope the ecfw community will eventually get some long boards. there have been
far too many dayz when the short boarding folks watch and wait. during isaac,
saturday, the wind blew best during one of the rainy squalls. no one but i knew
it was windy. everyone else was hiding from the rain.....

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I might not put it the same way, since this is at least in part a matter of taste (some people don't like longboards in the same way some people don't like chocolate), but I have similar experience. Good wind on the south shore of Long Island NY the past week, but besides my friend with a kite, I was the only one getting going in the ocean. Board is original Mistral Pacifico, 11'4", pared with 8m and 6.3m SuperFreaks, no straps, 50cm and 38cm fins. Shorter boards and bigger sails had trouble in the big swells. Kite went better when mind was lighter (me on 8m). When wind was 15 or over (6.3m), kite still had edge outbound (upwind) into swells, but slightly downwind with swells, Pacifico was faster, and much surfy-er. But I've maxed it out, I think. Strapless sailing has its charms (the surfing part), but it definitely slows things down. I need more foot pressure to hold onto the board, so board in not as flat, slows it down. So now looking for solution with straps (yes, Pacifico has straps, but they are an afterthought, so poorly positioned as to be useless). So for me next year will likely be the WindSUP, since I can think of no reason why to get the K1 instead (no opportunity to race it). Only question is which one - 10 or 11. My guess is that the 11 has more of an advantage in displacement mode than the 10 has planing, but 10 would surf larger waves better. We don't get many larger waves (and when we do it's pretty closed out, storm surf), so probably 11'8".

Jingebritsen, please tell Exocet that straps on the WindSUP should have a quick release mechanism. Also, it is a mistake not to have inserts for a horizontal strap on the tail (like the Kona Surf had). When launching through shore break - and coming in for that matter - this strap can be immensely helpful in getting a longboard safetly in and out.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2013 Windsups appear to have a handle hole, this should help a lot because the board is so heavy when you grab it by the daggerboard slot the nose tilts down to the ground.
Mast track is installed too far forward as well.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How heavy is the board? I don't like long boards because they are heavy, plain and simple. However, with new materials the active manu's are making some rather light ones today. Nevertheless, big boards are awkward. My formula board is light but awkward and only 155 liters. Claiming that the longboard rules is rather ridiculous, too. Today's boards are expensive, etc., etc., but they are selling which is why Jinglebells put the post up i.e. to sell you his boards.

Last edited by speedysailor on Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:07 am; edited 1 time in total
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedysailor wrote:
How heavy is the board? I don't like long boards because they are heavy, plain and simple. However, with new materials the active manu's are making some rather light ones today. Nevertheless, big boards are awkward. My formula board is light but awkward and only 155 liters.

It's between 30 and 35 Lbs, very heavy but I think this seems to help iron out the chop.
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the car roofrack and the lenght to store them, longboards are not that annoying to handle. I rented a Large Start once, and found it worse. The width makes it difficult to handle, difficult to tie to your car rack and you need a special storage rack for it. My longboard fits on my garage storage rack with other sails and boards, but extends further both sides.
speedysailor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own two boards made out of Polyethylene that are that heavy. One is 3.2 meters long, the other longer with a dagger board. Yes, they sit better in the water when it's choppy, but as windsurfers they are slow. I spent more than a decade sailing on both of them and certainly have gotten my money's worth. However, they are just too heavy to put up on a roof rack for me now. If I have help and I never do, I would do it. You can injure yourself that way, too. I had the 320 fly off the roof rack when I was at an exposed launch. It hit me on the head and nearly knocked me out. Futhermore, they are too slow. I've definitely had a lot of fun on them, and they were indispensable in learning. Being so durable as polyethylene is, I can store them in difficult areas and someone else can use them to learn like I did. As to Isaac or the remnants of it, I had a superb session yesterday on an 82cm wide 261 cm long board which fit in my SUV.
pete1111

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this explains everything !!!!!!

speedysailor wrote:
I had the 320 fly off the roof rack when I was at an exposed launch. It hit me on the head and nearly knocked me out. .
jamieinnyc

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, laws of physics apply to longboards - they are bigger, and that means they are, well, bigger, and heavier. However, it's a mistake to compare modern boards to the moulded plastic boards of the early/mid 80's. Those were heavy, to be sure - sailed a Mistral Maui (2nd gen) up until the end of last season, when a friend tore the finbox out in shore break (in the right conditions very good board). Modern longboards are much lighter than those boards - 30-40% lighter, which is a lot in the real world. carry under one arm for sure.

And laws of physics apply to speed as well - sometimes to the advantage of longboards, sometimes not. 3-15mph, longboards are just faster, unless vs formula, which has an edge in a narrow wind range (but has it's own speed limits). Throw in large ocean swells and chop (which in my experience eliminates formula), and the longboard advantage goes higher. This describes the conditions I windsurf in - advantage goes to longboard. In absolute terms, removing specifics of location, to me the advantage that modern longboards have in light wind is greater than the disadvantage they have in higher winds. Think of Kona One sailing over 30 knots - when slalom board might be doing, what, 35? 40? Anyway, I love short boards too, but I rarely get to use them (though in Hawaii last winter, I sailed in some real wind over several days, and of course it was on a very short board).

I have no boards to sell. I responded to original post because I have my eye on the WindSUP, but wanted to put in a word about quick release straps, because on convertible board I consider them important (and I am surprised no manufacturer has come up with them yet). And also the rear horizontal strap for putting in and hauling out.
outhaul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, laws of physics apply to longboards - they are bigger, and that means they are, well, bigger, and heavier. However, it's a mistake to compare modern boards to the moulded plastic boards of the early/mid 80's. Those were heavy, to be sure - sailed a Mistral Maui (2nd gen) up until the end of last season, when a friend tore the finbox out in shore break (in the right conditions very good board). Modern longboards are much lighter than those boards - 30-40% lighter, which is a lot in the real world. carry under one arm for sure.

And laws of physics apply to speed as well - sometimes to the advantage of longboards, sometimes not. 3-15mph, longboards are just faster, unless vs formula, which has an edge in a narrow wind range (but has it's own speed limits). Throw in large ocean swells and chop (which in my experience eliminates formula), and the longboard advantage goes higher. This describes the conditions I windsurf in - advantage goes to longboard. In absolute terms, removing specifics of location, to me the advantage that modern longboards have in light wind is greater than the disadvantage they have in higher winds. Think of Kona One sailing over 30 knots - when slalom board might be doing, what, 35? 40? Anyway, I love short boards too, but I rarely get to use them (though in Hawaii last winter, I sailed in some real wind over several days, and of course it was on a very short board).

I have no boards to sell. I responded to original post because I have my eye on the WindSUP, but wanted to put in a word about quick release straps, because on convertible board I consider them important (and I am surprised no manufacturer has come up with them yet). And also the rear horizontal strap for putting in and hauling out.

Right on. I sail in similar conditions in the Great Lakes and the Exocet 11'8 is awesome. I carry it down several flights of stairs to the beach, found it very easy to balance on my head. A built-in grab handle and the rear strap idea along with quick release inserts for straps would be a great addition.
I'd also like to see the board offered without the dagger board as another choice.
I understand why it's there but when it's above 15 never use it. Goes upwind quite well without. I too am a buyer, not a seller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: