myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Too much ibuprofen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are sleep and Putt Putt Golf.

OR

... until you hit a tree or high-rise.

OR

I'm not old enough yet to need stuff just because it's easier on my body.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely is (according to all my Kiter buddies), and most of the people I see on Kites where I sail are Geezers.

-Craig

windyrhythms wrote:
Take up kiting. Oh I know I'm gonna get a whole load of flack for this one. But REALLY it is easier on the body.
djcovarrubias2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your kidneys can handle an occasional 800mg dose for a short period, i.e. less than 7 days. If you sail all summer and 800mg daily or twice a day has become your routine, you are setting yourself up for renal toxicity, including hemodyalisis down the road. See your doctor. An orthopedist for your knees and an internist for your kidneys.

And no, your kidneys don't get better with age. They won't be able to "take the load" better later. In fact, they'll take it worse. You'll have to be more careful using the drug for short periods of time, especially if you have been overdoing it in your fifties.

DC
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
It definitely is (according to all my Kiter buddies), and most of the people I see on Kites where I sail are Geezers.

-Craig

windyrhythms wrote:
Take up kiting.... REALLY it is easier on the body.

Then why do they tire so rapidly, even if not geezers?
dsgrntlxmply

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

North sails have "HTS" marks on each sail that give a good approximation for harness line center position. You could do this with a Sharpie on other sails once you have empirically determined a good position.

The remarks here about difference between port and starboard line positions seem valid, and could recommend making a Sharpie mark at an empirically determined spot even if your sail has factory marks.

I sail much differently on port than on starboard. Part I'm certain is due to being right-handed, and part I feel is due to specific conditions at both of my favored sites, where outbound is on starboard, and return is on port. In some sense, I have not yet learned to sail very well on port, and especially not through as great a range of conditions.

At one site, there is a dominant current that often does not run true to wind (in fact you sometimes can see V-shaped intersecting chop/swell wavefronts). In the most common winds in the closer-in portions where I usually sail, much of the port reach can end up being in inferior winds spoiled by shore terrain, and having to work against the current.

At the other site, there is not as much of a current, but the wind direction and depth-dictated path often coincide to make starboard a very fast broad reach, with port then needing to pay back starboard's downwind fun component.

The original post indicates an alarming amount of ibuprofen. A friend's wife has been in the ER several times in the past couple of weeks with conditions that might have been brought on by excessive NSAID use for a shoulder problem. The underlying condition needs to be properly diagnosed and treated by some safer means.
Tmojzis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ibuprofen has cumulative toxicity over the life.It Can cause kidney failure or ulcer in the stomach. I would alternate it with Tylenol . Tylenol is metabolized by liver mainly . To cause kidney failure it takes a combination of factors and long exposure to it. Number one killer is diabetes and hypertension . Far ahead of medication.
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but we can't ignore, and should be aware of, the thousands of ER emergencies due to NSAID overuse each year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: