myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Gear schlepping... best way to get gear from car to shore.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChopEater

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Gear schlepping... best way to get gear from car to shore. Reply with quote

If parking is a few hundred yards from shore, have any good suggestions for toting equipment?...

Any favorite methods to get your gear from here to there: surfboard carts?, beach/picnic cart? , backpack it? DoItYourself PVC configurations?

I drive an SUV so I guess collapsible/fold-able would be nice too.
kmf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sailing at Mosier yesterday and a gal carried all of her stuff to the beach on this .....http://solowheel.com/.....One piece at a time of course, one trip a board, etc.

Looked crazy, but it sure worked for her.

KMF
isobras

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Reach through your sail bag handle and boom to grab your mast. Stick your mast base under your arm or in your belt. Board in other hand and away ya go.

2. Rig and assemble everything first and take a hike with your gear on top of your head, crunching your cervical vertebrae with every step, or in your hands like you do when carrying it ashore.

3. Search the internet for a simple, minimalist cart or fabricate one. You might figure a way to use the mast or board as the cart's tongue, so the cart is little more than an axle and two bicycle wheels. Hmmm ... an axle slips through the rear footstrap(s) or through a fixture (webbing loops?) on your board bag, add the wheels, bungee or strap everything else to the bag, grab the webbing loop on the nose of the bag, and start walking.

4. If the terrain or wind is a major factor, like at the Oregon coast or among brush/trees, I take two trips. Carrying all that crap over 200-300 yards of sand dunes against winds of 20-30 mph, or dragging everything through dense brush, is simply not worth the effort. Board first, casual hike, leave it on the beach, go back and get the rig. Two hikes at a 10% effort beats one hike @ 100% in my book.

5. Search or ask for better access. Maybe someone can give you permission, or a key, or permission to erect a sty over a fence, etc. Maybe extra driving could improve access.

6. Kite. Rig it at your car, park it overhead, and take a hike.

7. Kite. Hot launch at your car, take a flying leap, and hope you land on the water rather than a freeway, a crowd of people, the sewage plant, power lines, etc. You wouldn't be the first.

8. Drag it. Just grab the back footstrap and drag everything. That's the only way I've found to get my gear straight upwind on land at the OR coat.

9. Pay some pie-eyed kids to schlep it for you.

10. Build a vest designed to assist you in carrying everything. If loops and oockets and webbing support the load, all your hands have to do is stabilize everything. Be the mule.
LeeD

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board with mast base attached, boom attached to it.
Other hand, sail inside shortened boom, mast shoved inside sailbag with sail. One trip.
mchaco1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmf wrote:
I was sailing at Mosier yesterday and a gal carried all of her stuff to the beach on this .....http://solowheel.com/.....One piece at a time of course, one trip a board, etc.

Looked crazy, but it sure worked for her.

KMF

Thats my girlfriend Very Happy Her dad invented it. Feel free to bother them if you see them around and ask to try it out Laughing
westender

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You hold the board on one side, everything else on the other and start walking.

On a good day I'll get in at least a half mile.
Windnc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Gear schlepping... best way to get gear from car to shore. Reply with quote

Here's what I use to get my boards/rig to the beach when there is no place to park close by. It is a "Fish-n-Mate" customized into a "Surf-n-Mate" loaded up with light wind wave sailing gear. It rolls along very easily and makes carrying all your gear down and back in one trip!

I have used it to carry up to 3 boards at once plus several sails, masts etc. The bottom cart area is great for loading in your harness, helmet, water, towels and any other gear you want to take as well. Once unloaded at the beach if necessary I lock it to a post etc. with a locking board strap while I am out sailing. Works great for carrying SUP's and paddles as well!

The original handle was cut and extended to allow pulling easily with longer boards. The wheels come off and on easily for transport and you can remove the board rack tubes with quick release pins. It is light weight and strong too.

Windnc

Surf-n-Mate Front View.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.46 MB
 Viewed:  16655 Time(s)

Surf-n-Mate  Front View.jpg

Surf-n-Mate Loaded with Boards, Sails, and gear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.22 MB
 Viewed:  16655 Time(s)

Surf-n-Mate Loaded with Boards, Sails, and gear.jpg

isobras

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot #11, which has worked well for me for years: 4WD.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to sail PaloMarin lots, and the walk down the cliff, + the rappell down the rope, might equal about 1/4 mile, down a 600 foot cliff.
Easiest way was like I said, packpack for the wetsuit, booties, harness, towell, n drink.
Carry the board, mast base, and boom in one hand, grabbing the boom.
Carry the mast in sail bag in other hand, might need a strap if you're weak like me.
MattD

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built this out with PVC, an aluminum axle and the wheels from my Mule. Works great with my bike, even loaded with all my gear. Also works great if just towing by hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: