myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
New Update Time
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldhr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing to fix - forecasts are in Knots and actual speed is mph - what's up with that?
I love IW and have used it for 18 years. It's saved me thousands of dollars in gas! It's not always perfect, but predicting wind is almost impossible to do with any accuracy.
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
]Bottomline... always trust the forecast written text and bullets more than the tables since the forecaster can see exactly what they wrote

Can't, not since they began using "moderately windy" to describe average forecast breezes in the teens (my biggest gear, 6.2 and 115 liters, is useless then) and "windy" to describe my minimum planing threshold of 20-21 mph average. I've got to guess that upper 20s would "extremely windy" ... despite the fact that it's still a lot of fun on that same 6.2 with a smaller board. That's why we need numbers ... because they're much more objective even though they are swags.
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
windfind wrote:
]Bottomline... always trust the forecast written text and bullets more than the tables since the forecaster can see exactly what they wrote

Can't, not since they began using "moderately windy" to describe average forecast breezes in the teens (my biggest gear, 6.2 and 115 liters, is useless then) and "windy" to describe my minimum planing threshold of 20-21 mph average. I've got to guess that upper 20s would "extremely windy" ... despite the fact that it's still a lot of fun on that same 6.2 with a smaller board. That's why we need numbers ... because they're much more objective even though they are swags.

Just use the parts of the bullets I have put in bold in this sample forecast and forget the adjectives.

Mike Godsey

Oregon Coast: The North and Central Coast reaching NNW near to spotty low 20's, strongest at Manzanita. The South Coast reaching N lower 20's. NW swell 2 ft at 9 seconds.

Western Gorge (Jones Beach to Stevenson): Jones Beach building to afternoon WNW upper teens to spotty low 20's. Stevenson reaching afternoon low 20's.

Corridor (Viento to Sandbar): Westerlies building into the solid low to spotty mid 20's.

Near East (Mosier to Doug's Beach): WNW winds gradually building to late afternoon low 20's.

Eastern Gorge (Celilo to Port Kelly): WSW to W winds reaching around 20 in the Maryhill area, but lighter toward Arlington.
drblanke

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... except that it blew 30 at the Wall afternoon till dark yesterday, at least according to the sensor Wink

Was anyone actually ninja enough to drive out there Friday afternoon?

Very strange as Wall Marker was getting higher readings than Maryhill or John Day. Was the ditch actually accelerating the wind this time?

windfind wrote:

Eastern Gorge (Celilo to Port Kelly): WSW to W winds reaching around 20 in the Maryhill area, but lighter toward Arlington.
Waterlou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this started out as an issue about the later forecasts, I have a suggestion.

How about adding up all those half-hours of sleeping in, now that the forecast is later, and tacking them on to the end of the season? It could add up to a couple extra days of forecasts for those of us that sail on into Autumn (which I think actually starts on September 21st, not when football season opens).

Also, it was shocking to see the use of the F word today in the Onsite Report at Swell. My wife gasped when I read it out loud (she's a teacher so it is even worse for her) and I had to take an extra breath just to get through. I have been functioning on the "ignorance is bliss" notion, up to now.

Keep skimming, it's still summer!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: