myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Transition from 130 L to 105 L board range
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:56 pm    Post subject: Transition from 130 L to 105 L board range Reply with quote

It turned out to be hard to go down from 131 L Mistral Explosion to 106 L JP AllRide. So far only 6.5 freeride sail is used with the latter. I seem put to much pressure on the back of the board making it to round up upwind before it starts to plane. One day I also experienced a lot of spin-outs, also probably because of to much pressure with the rear foot.
What in general one should pay attention to when going smaller?

Thanks,

Andrei,
P.S. I'm 145 lb
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now, stick the Explosion fin into the JP, and go sailing.
I weigh 152, use boards as small as 62 liters (AHDWave) and as big as 150 liters (SlabCourseSlalom72), and it all works as long as the fin doesn't slide downwind as I'm getting on a plane.
Respect when to step back....only when your tail clears the water.
pointster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may also be placing too much weght on your heels, causing the windward rail to dig in and turn the board. Try lifting your heels a bit to flatten out the board.

Spin out may be just too small fin.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure you got the right size fin? Also I had a similar issue too when I switched to a lighter board. Make sure you start going back on the board when you pick up speed! I used to go back right away after I got on haha
winddave

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Rounding up Reply with quote

To use smalller equipment, you must be proficient at sheeting in the sail. Sheet out while you are accelerating and you will round up. Be sure to really hang down on the booms and keep your mast base pressure up.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what vintage is your explosion? more mast foot pressure habits on an older board are probably way different than what a more modern hull requires. shorter boards round up unless one uses more mast foot pressure. drive more of your weight onto the boom into the mast foot. no more rounding up. the stock fin on the new board was good for me.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technique ,technique , technique, this topic was just recently covered with much input and lots of great advice. Set up is important, I would have a more experienced sailor take your board for a ride, if he or she concludes that all feels normal with nothing out of wack, then you know you must work on your stance, foot pressure etc.
I had a similar experience when I switched from formula boards to slalom boards, it took me a while to dial in , and stop stomping on the back foot.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
For now, stick the Explosion fin into the JP, and go sailing.
I weigh 152, use boards as small as 62 liters (AHDWave) and as big as 150 liters (SlabCourseSlalom72), and it all works as long as the fin doesn't slide downwind as I'm getting on a plane.
Respect when to step back....only when your tail clears the water.

Thanks, LeeD. Interesting suggestion about using the fin from the larger board. THis is something I can do next time. In longer term is getting smaller sail. Both should reduce chances of spin-out but will not fix my stance. I really need pointers for improving that
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
what vintage is your explosion? more mast foot pressure habits on an older board are probably way different than what a more modern hull requires. shorter boards round up unless one uses more mast foot pressure. drive more of your weight onto the boom into the mast foot. no more rounding up. the stock fin on the new board was good for me.

THat one is 2005 so it's more or less modern short board. It's just so much more comfortable 130 L forgiving platform. 106 L having less buoyancy so far is much trickier with everything: slogging, planing, going upwind, tacking. Several years ago I had similar problem when transitioned from long board to 130 L.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Rounding up Reply with quote

winddave wrote:
To use smalller equipment, you must be proficient at sheeting in the sail. Sheet out while you are accelerating and you will round up. Be sure to really hang down on the booms and keep your mast base pressure up.

Thanks! Yes, I do sheet out. By doing that I'm trying to control time it takes to accelerate. It creates less MFP. At the same time I'm standing up to much as I'm on 130 L. board (just a habit). I'll hang down more next time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: