myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner need advise PLEASE!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bamwindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:41 pm    Post subject: Beginner need advise PLEASE! Reply with quote

Southern California. Im in my late 50's want to learn to windsurf. I'm 225 lbs. - very athletic. Not looking to get airborn in the ocean (but might) in fact I might be sailing mostly in a harbor in winds from 5-15 knots, no waves. X-Surfer, X-Waterskier, Snow skier, Sailer... I know nothing about the sport - at all!! Ive heard: The newer wider lighter boards are much easier to learn on/ sail; I've been told 225 liter board X 300cm long X 82cm wide...? Dont want to buy a board then outgrow it in a few months. Seems all thats on Craigslist is really old stuff, that said I dont want (cant) spend $2-3,000. to get new equipment - unless I really sacrifice. What to buy, where to buy it. PLEASE, ANYTHING! Thanks, Michael
mchaco1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

225 is a bit big, Id suggest renting a board that size for the first few times until you feel comfortable, then getting something closer to 170, that should see you through most of the milestones and still be useful in those light winds for a long time.

Look here for gear:
http://www.windance.com/Consignment.html
dont buy old stuff unless you absolutely cant afford newer stuff, but there is nothing wrong with stuff 5-8 years old.
KevinDo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner need advise PLEASE! Reply with quote

bamwindsurf wrote:
Southern California. Im in my late 50's want to learn to windsurf. I'm 225 lbs. - very athletic. Not looking to get airborn in the ocean (but might) in fact I might be sailing mostly in a harbor in winds from 5-15 knots, no waves. X-Surfer, X-Waterskier, Snow skier, Sailer... I know nothing about the sport - at all!! Ive heard: The newer wider lighter boards are much easier to learn on/ sail; I've been told 225 liter board X 300cm long X 82cm wide...? Dont want to buy a board then outgrow it in a few months. Seems all thats on Craigslist is really old stuff, that said I dont want (cant) spend $2-3,000. to get new equipment - unless I really sacrifice. What to buy, where to buy it. PLEASE, ANYTHING! Thanks, Michael

I can't think of anything that is 225liters except the RS:X which is an expensive formula board. Try renting a board from captain kirks or something and see if whatever liters it is works. DON'T buy old boards imho(early 90s stuff).
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same size and ability as you in late 40's, this is the hardest sport I have ever tried to learn (most people will tell you this) at 225lbs your initial learning curve will be steeper but if you progress your weight will help you hold down bigger sails and go faster.
Forget about windsurfing under 12 knots unless just beginning, it's too much work to hold up the sail and boom, it's more fun to go swimming under 12 knots.
At a max wind speed of 15 knots as you describe you will be much better off with a longboard.
I have come to learn that windsurfing is a high wind near shore activity.
I don't want to say this but the late 50's is going to be very difficult to become proficient at this sport, tremendous strains are put upon the shoulder joints and muscles.
Yeah there are plenty of windsurfers in their late 50's but they started 20 or 30 years ago or more and have developed those particular muscles and joints.
Have a board repair guy put a mast track on a SUP for $100 and you are in business for under 15 knots.
We could help you find a mast sail boom, mast base for a couple of hundred bucks, this will get you on the water for cheap to help decide if you want to continue.
I am not a quitter and if I were a normal person I would have given this up a while ago, just understand what you are getting yourself into.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel OK in giving my two cents because I was recently a beginner as well.
If you are trying to do this on a budget as I was you will need to invest heavily in books and videos as lessons will just be too expensive.
There will be outdated books at the public library that will give you the basics, and free youtube videos, then if you progress you can drop $50 on a Guy Cribb DVD.
Are you a quitter? up for a challenge?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/nano.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/wind-sup.php

http://www.exocet-original.com/2013/link.php

there's a whole lot of choices in the exocet line.

pick the largest in any of them, sans the tandem, and you've got a board that will get you on the water in some very light winds. how far down south in CA? san diego has a reputation for very light winds.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
d0uglass

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is a great sport that you will definitely still enjoy into the ages where your peers are just playing golf or shuffleboard. Good choice.

The whole "growing out of your first board" thing really isn't such a problem, in my opinion. That's because the big 200+ liter longboard that you get as your first board will always be the board you'll want for 5 - 15 mph- even if you're an expert -because small boards just don't work in light wind. If you get the right kind of big board it will work pretty well in strong winds, too, and even in waves.

A good, reasonably priced 200+ liter board that's not too old would be a Kona ONE or a Kona Mahalo. Everyone starts their very first lesson with a super small sail between 3 and 5 meters squared, but the first sail that you actually buy for yourself can be bigger, like 6.5 - 7.5 msq.

Good luck.

-James

PS- Unless you're primarily interested in SUP and only partially interested in windsurfing I would avoid most "windsurfable" SUP boards. Though they're nice and stable they don't sail into the wind very well and they can't plane so they're always slow. Exocet Windsup 11'8" is an exception to that, though.

speedysailor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bam, if you don't know anything about the sport you must have some instruction. There's quite a bit of information on these forums about beginning so I suggest that you use the search feature.
whitevan01

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

too bad you are not in the northeast, I have an Exocet Pacer 300 (80cmx225lx300cm) with c/b that would be great for you to learn on and then use for light wind planing ability. oh well.

don't worry about your age. I started 5 years ago at 51 and am not esp. athletic. It's a great sport, you will have a TON of fun. I am an ex-boat sailor and I think it's gives one an advantage in knowing about the wind.

Get some professional instruction to learn the correct methods so you don't go down dead ends and have to re-learn stuff. Also, doing it the "right" way will decrease strain on your body.

Have a great time and good luck. There is no substitute for TOW though.
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To repeat what has been said:

Get lessons, demo, rent.

Don't buy until you have several hours on the water and have learned a moderate amount about the sport and the equipment you will need in your circumstance.

I started at age 39 and I am now 67. You are never too old unless you try to act 20 when you are 50.

The learning curve is slow, but the payoff can be huge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: