myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The bench looks great
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok matty , my friend, here is an article NOT from the left.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2012/08/29/paul-ryan-repeats-auto-bailout-medicare-lies
You know when FoxNews, and USNews calls you a liar, you must be a pretty good liar!
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
ok matty , my friend, here is an article NOT from the left.
http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs/robert-schlesinger/2012/08/29/paul-ryan-repeats-auto-bailout-medicare-lies
You know when FoxNews, and USNews calls you a liar, you must be a pretty good liar!

He's a damn good liar! And you know what the scary part is? People believe him.
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
did anyone wake up this morning thinking the left would give any praise to anything from Tampa.
...the Fox piece proves Fox will criticize the right, something seldom scene elsewhere.

Surely these guys know that Fox analysis shows often rips the right. Jeez, O'Reilly demanded Rumsfeld's firing for years before he left, he ripped Bush's spending and government expansion endlessly, and he wanted the wars ended years ago.

I was watching the convention on PBS until their only comment on Ann Romney's brilliantly delivered speech on her husband was "Where's his humor?" Don't we want substance, rather than yucks, in campaign speeches? I immediately switched to more neutral, objective coverage.

Last edited by isobras on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:49 am; edited 1 time in total
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down children. It will be your turn soon. You will all be able to revel in the gentle ministrations of a series of angry feminists. Enjoy the discussions of the economy and the serious problems facing the country while they are still center stage. There won't be much talk about that at the DNC convention. Abortion, contraception, gay marriage, racism.........you'll have your fill. This administration's record.........not so much.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound salty today , Mr. G. Was it the Chris Christie dud, or Ryan's liefest?Personally, I think conventions are a waste of energy....and I dont usually watch them. I did watch 1984, when Mario wowed the crowd in SF, didnt help Walter Mondale much.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris Christie was one of the few speeches I have watched. I had never heard a speech from him before. I thought he was great...........but I'm guessing his performance will pale before that of Sandra Fluke.
mac

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matty--there you go again:

Quote:
Mac
Even a forth grader understands NO ONE SHOULD BE GUARANTEED A JOB FOR LIFE. It's a ridicules concept only self serving union thugs would defend.

I didn't say that, don't think that, and it isn't remotely what this debate is over. There are two issues here, and you might remember the first if you had paid attention in high school civics class. There is an American tradition of governance that mixes political appointees (the spoils system) and a tenured civil service. Each president gets to appoint not merely the cabinet, but a broad array of officials that are able to set policy, within the structure of existing law. The president, on the advice of those appointed officials, can propose legislation and re-organize the Federal government, within certain legal limits. The purpose of giving tenure to civil servants is so that there is continuity within government, so that the political appointtees don't fire everyone that might be from the other party (or Episcopalian, etc.) and destroy corporate memory. But a tenured civil servant can be fired for not performing their jobs. I've done so, and was thanked by the remaining employees. Tenure in civil service merely means that you cannot be fired without due process.

Now let me turn to teaching and bad teachers and Christie and Walker's irrelevant war on teacher's unions. There are over 7 million teachers in this country, three million at elementary and high school. If their distribution follows the normal distribution, about 5% are very bad and about 5% are very good. Now I have worked with master teachers, and I have seen them teach teachers. They have more effect on the teaching profession right now than principals; in over 7 years of volunteering I find it rare that the principal gets around to the 30 classrooms that are normal in his/her school.

It is clear from these numbers (to anyone with an interest in solutions and with an open mind) that firing the 5% of bad teachers will not upgrade the quality of education in America appreciably. There are only two things that will do that: improving the skills of those already teaching whose performance protects them from firing--but could be better, and attracting people with better aptitude to teach into the profession and training them and holding them accountable. Instead, we get witch hunts, attacks on gay teachers, and school board policies that try to prevent teaching of evolution and mandate teaching of religion. I don't want these types of institutions firing teachers wholesale every time there is a change in school board membership.

I have been in the unhappy situation of working with a principal to terminate an ineffective teacher with a drinking problem. It was ugly and necessary--but didn't have much effect on the overall quality of education at that school. It was a tough school in West Oakland that had trouble attracting top teachers. That, not unions, is the problem.

The Republicans support cosmetic solutions and talking points about education. Whether this is part of their war on unions to take money from Democratic campaigns, arrogance, or the lack of an attention span to address really difficult issues I don't know or care. But what came out of Christie's mouth was pure hubris. Even better thought out efforts, like No Child Left Behind that came from a consensus between George Bush's better half and a very bright Democrat George Miller has been a disaster. There aren't any easy solutions that anyone knows about--or they would have been tried.

By the way, there are spell check programs available that would let you distinguish between the homophones "fourth" and "forth". Sorry KC, I couldn't resist--you see these guys never respond on the substantive side.
isobras

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrgybe wrote:
Chris Christie was one of the few speeches I have watched

The speech that impressed me most, considering that she's not a professional speaker, was Ann Romney's. OTOH, I was always extremely impressed with the Mormon kids I was engulfed by for seven years in Utah. Those kids were more self-assured, articulate, confident, outgoing, grown-up -- pick any maturity accolade -- at 10-12 yo than most people I knew in college.
keycocker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ronmey would make a good president and was initially pleased by his choice of Ryan.
It is sad that Ryan agreed to stand up in public and stream lies at conservatives. His speeches all over the country have been failing the truth test -on Fox.
That is the easiest truth test on earth for a conservative to pass.
Does that sort of thing represent anyone here?
When he lies about important issues in easy to check ways, is he representing the best interests of anyone here?
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article on Fox's website was written by Sally Kohn, I have seen her on Fox many times, she is as far left as Madcow and Mattews. I am not so sure her, or any other haters from the left are the definitive bearers of the truth.
Ryan has been one of the most respected young politicians in Washington for many years , I have a hard time believing he would be stupid enough to give a speech full of flat out lies. Stretches of the truth ,and a little spin, MAYBE.
I am 100% certain after the DNC the same will be said by the right wing media, but I doubt any of that will find its way to the lefts news.
If you want to hear lies on a daily basis, look no further than obama and his Chicago smear machine, these guys have made an art form of distortion, deception and dishonesty of the highest level.
From harry reids completely bogus claims he has proof Romney has not paid his taxes, the claims Romneys actions caused the death of a woman, the lie that Ryans plan raids Medicare , when it's obamas plan that takes even more, the back room deals and payoffs known as obama care, the lies about the security leaks that have put our solders and intelligence community in harms way, and lets not forget the biggest daily lie of all THE ECONOMY IS DOING BETTER!!!!!!!

Your right Keycocker Romney will make a great president, he will bring pride back to this country , end this liberal lunacy, and right this sinkin ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: