myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Race Jibe Entry: Footwork
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
feuser

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
Plenty of guys doing laydown jibes, duck jibes, and duck tacks on Formula boards and 10 meter sails.

In 8.5 conditions (12-20mph), you're going much faster relative to the true wind speed than when you would be powered on a 6.0 race sail. Over sheeting or laying down the sail is vital to the jibe entry, in order to not open up an "air brake" and lose speed early. Bringing around the clew can be a bit more tricky without dragging the larger sail in the water or hitting the marker buoy.

Duck jibes are easy, but I don't know about duck tacks on a 10.0. That, I'd like to see!

http://www.windsurfing.kasail.com/
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest problem with a laydown jibe with large sails is that what gets laid down must be picked up. You are banking hard with a long boom & catchy clew. Far better to sheet in by lifting with your back hand to avoid the clew catching on the sail flip.

Coachg
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

feuser wrote:

Duck jibes are easy, but I don't know about duck tacks on a 10.0. That, I'd like to see!

That would be truly awesome.

scargo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I try to do is mentally take the rear foot out of the equation. That causes me to, early on, move my weight forward, straighten the front arm, get the hips in the right position, bend the knees, and pull up on the front heel . . . all of which unweights the rear foot and makes it easy to transition it to the rail. Oh, and I unhook and hang well in advance (i.e. a couple of seconds) of any of this. That way unhooking is just setup and by definition can't disrupt anything.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Crissy on a flood day with light winds.
You will see both Jeanne and SteveB ripping duck jibes near shore on their 9-10's. Those guys also do heli tacks, just goofing around.
Why not? You got a 150 liter Slab floating your 24 lbs rig. Your normal 5.0 sail is supported by only 90 liters, and weighs around 15 lbs.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you meant helitacks. The quote (see above) said duck tacks. Duck tacking a 10.0 sounded like a magic trick.

I've duck jibed (and helitacked) an 8.8. I've never hit a planing duck tack with any sail (get them in nonplaning conditions, though.)

zirtaeb wrote:
Go to Crissy on a flood day with light winds.
You will see both Jeanne and SteveB ripping duck jibes near shore on their 9-10's. Those guys also do heli tacks, just goofing around.
Why not? You got a 150 liter Slab floating your 24 lbs rig. Your normal 5.0 sail is supported by only 90 liters, and weighs around 15 lbs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: