myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Evaluation Process for Proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puppydog

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable parks are one of a kind and thats why it could be good for HR...think progressive
tweeky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much of this "concern" about the basin being a public waterway is sincere, and how much is to try and keep the kayak rental business there? Doesn't Derek Bell aka "Scooter" work at the kayak rental place, which just so happens to figure prominently in the "alternative" plan? What exactly is Bell's commercial interest in the basin? Would he support an alternative plan that did not have the rental shop based in the basin, but kept that area open as part of the public beach? I doubt it...
CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:
How much of this "concern" about the basin being a public waterway is sincere, and how much is to try and keep the kayak rental business there? Doesn't Derek Bell aka "Scooter" work at the kayak rental place, which just so happens to figure prominently in the "alternative" plan? What exactly is Bell's commercial interest in the basin? Would he support an alternative plan that did not have the rental shop based in the basin, but kept that area open as part of the public beach? I doubt it...

Tweeky,

I'm not sure what the point you're trying to make is.

The effort to keep The Basins waters Public is not about any one person.

If, however, anyone has an existing commercial interest in keeping The Basins waters open to The Public I wouldn't be surprised if they joined the effort. I would understand their support to keep The Basins waters public and would welcome their participation.

In fact many, including myself, have a strong belief that keeping The Basin's waters open to The Public has every bit the opportunity to attract commercial tenants and patrons than if a cable-park were constructed - perhaps even more - and certainly in an environmentally lower impact and more sustainable fashion which serves a broader demographic and does not scar our waterfront with steel towers and cables.

CUSalin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog wrote:
Cable parks are one of a kind and thats why it could be good for HR...think progressive

Puppy,

Hood River is already "one-of-a-kind" and I'd like to keep it that way.

Thx and CU Sailin'

bensound

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAUDA wrote:
I am not necessarilly a huge proponent of this idea but I must point out that I drive by "The Basin" nearly every day. The typical number of people I see using the South half of the area is ZERO. That is fact. So I am another who must say that I feel that oponents of the development are constantly mis-representing the areas use to make their case. Stick to factual evidence against this idea and you will gain my respect

Here is a picture of the ZERO people who were at the south end of the basin last Saturday. I guess I count differently. The parking lot at Slackwater was full from 11-7. There are 12 people in the frame of this picture which only shows the south end of the basin. If you want to get an idea of who is using the basin, there is a photo of the day blog for users of the basin.http://www.publicwaterfront.org/photo-of-the-day/
Better yet, talk to the three concessions who operate out of the basin. Ask them how business is this year. They will all say that the number of users of the basin has exploded in the last two years, especially this summer.

Is it always used intensively? No. Like all water uses, it's very weather dependent. Would use likely skyrocket with improvements to the west side and additional water access? Yep. The Waterfront Park is a good example of how that would work.

sat 8.25.12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  322.48 KB
 Viewed:  15763 Time(s)

sat 8.25.12.jpg

scooter_bell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tweeky wrote:

That is a legitimate questions.

I am currently a part-time, seasonal employee of the Kayak Shed and not the Columbia Gorge Kayak School who does kayak/SUP rentals in the basin. I do not speak for either of those businesses and have no financial gains or losses due to the cable parks passing or it's denial. Regardless of what happens on the west bank I hope that both SUP and kayak rentals will be available to the public for use of the basin.

I would support a west bank development that gave basin access to the public without kayak/SUP rentals under certain circumstances.

It is my personal belief that the cable park is bad for small local business in Hood River that have worked to eeck out a living by offering SUP, Kayak and windsurf rentals and lesson in the basin.

I don't think the Port or City should be giving special treatment and exclusive use of the basin to an out of town developer at the expense of local small businesses.

Thanks for participating in the discussion, Tweeky

To learn more go to www.publicwaterfront.org
Derek Bell
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great workout in The Basin yesterday morning.

Paddled 5 fast laps and counted over 50 people in The Basins waters before noon + one fisherwoman!

CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come to the basin next Saturday September 8th for a “Float-In” to support keeping public water available for us all. Bring a board, boat, intertube and show your love for the basin from 12-2

Float In.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.19 KB
 Viewed:  15394 Time(s)

Float In.jpg

merriam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago there were often boats pulling wakeboarders in the basin. Could get exciting if several of them showed up for the float-in. Imagine if they added a few jet skis.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Merriam,

Yes, things certainly have changed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: