myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
AHD Type F 75 127 Liter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westadamsvets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:32 pm    Post subject: AHD Type F 75 127 Liter Reply with quote

Does anybody have experience with this board? It's about 2004, and is 262 in lenght. 75 cm width. I sail usually on more modern boards, but want to fill gap in quiver on the cheap.
Sometimes older boards can feel very modern and are easy to go between newer designs. That AHD has huge tail (no cutouts) so I expect it to feel reasonably modern despite its age and length.
I'd put a good fin in it and use it in between 9.1 and 8.4.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Board tests then said it was easy speed, though not necessarily the fastest.
Cutouts limit topspeed to the bigger sails only. Without cutouts on super wide tailed boards, acceleration is great, but top end limited, from too much wetted surface that can't be trimmed out by the rider.
Great light wind board, especially for bigger riders.
As long as you switch down to a narrower tailed board when fully powered, it's great for the light wind days.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Type F was AHD's replacement for the Freediamond line. It was a freeride board for flat water as Leed explaned. The higher performance AHD board at that time was the GTSpecial or GTS. At 75 cm it should be fine with your 8.4 & 9.1 and still be able to carry something in the 7 meter range.

Coachg
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cut outs help with the release for earlier planing and higher speeds. i've sailed that board. need to put the mast base nearly at the most aft position, even with your largest sails.
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah john, finally i get to ask my question:
this mast foot position is it 135 cm from the tail ?
ie is the mast track a bit forward and thus one puts mast back ?
or is it something to do about weight distribution on the board ??
us mere mortals who donut get to go too much nor try lotsa equipment are always wondering how to make our stuff plane quicker and be faster Smile

thx in advance
joe windsurfer
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the shapers at AHD stayed vintage with their geometry concerning the mast base far too long compared to their planforms.

trial and error. that's what i end up doing. dunno all the why's just know that i gotta be willing to try some stuff. after enough of that, one can become sensitive to what may feel off balance.

the G then F boards from AHD just felt too sticky and sluggish with the base forward. same feeling happened with the HiFLY Madd 165 in its first WSMag board test. most folks came back to the beach and had the base too forward on that as well. they said the same. our "shut up and test" rule was amended by eddy when i showed him that either he or i had to check for technical trim choices when people were coming off the water with some of their choices.

i got well versed at asking open ended questions when someone would frown a bit as they would come in from a sesh. sometimes it was trim choices, the conditions, or the gear.

one can get some to a lot of experience by asking folks to participate in trials at their local beaches. even if it's just a few folks, getting on someone else's gear can be an eye opener. the more opportunities for exchanges in information that are explored the more one can learn.

some folks never get around to trying much new/different. i've offered lots to demo my stuff. some do, some don't. they either are or not curious enough, i guess.

high flying, go fast dale cook has really short harness lines. how he makes that work is a mystery to me. but he pulls it off. i tried his kit, and did not like that trim. most folks in most locales are slow and late to plane by doing that, but he defies that observation. when the rig gets draped over the sailor, far to the wind ward, the lifting of the sail's pull become upward, typically at the expense of speed and control. he is a very strong, and adept guy..... and, he does get really long and high jumps.

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx john

i now have a BIC Techno FreeFormula with the trimm box and Roger Jackson also suggested on a forum to move the mast back
i was surprised and asked local shop and they suggested as you did - try it Smile
{not dunn yet - still having too much fun in light gusty winds}

the May 2004 WS mag article with AHD F85 and Hifly Madd 135 makes NO mention of your suggestion Sad

Locally i would like to try other people's stuff, butt i have busted a panel on an MS-2 11.0 that was not mine and my buddy punched the nose of a board he borrowed
- purchased a TR-4 10-oh and MS-2 8-oh after that lesson - so, it was not wasted Smile
- buddy purchased a faster board and busted that nose twice after his lesson Smile Hawk 135 seems to be fragile ...

thanx again and i WILL move the mast back on my BTF/BIC Techno Formula

am going to speak to Bill Kline of GSPORT about a more upright fin {as you always suggest} - hard to find for trimm box used
now using a True Ames SB 58 weed - which are still available and work
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's lots more going on with editorial choices than one could possibly imagine in nearly every mag. they count the words, spacings, etc. lots more than i ever would have suspected.

the Madd 165, in particular, had a problem with base positioning. the GT 85 was so well known by the local crowd that no one had an issue.

dllee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which all goes back to the thread I started about mast track positioning.
I guess even the big guys get launched and break noses. I guess even the short fat noses get broken. I guess big sails need high booms, and track back doesn't promote high booms. I guess track back has a small sweetspot that doesn't accomodate gusty changing winds. And of course, I guess the cutouts took care of the excessive waterline and bottom drag of the wider boards.
Possibly a case of real world needs overtaking theoritical possibilities of going faster on the water.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey zirtaeb - that's a lot of "guess"es Smile
sorry, could not resist and stumbled through your paragraph Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: