myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Evaluation Process for Proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
STAUDA

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not necessarilly a huge proponent of this idea but I must point out that I drive by "The Basin" nearly every day. The typical number of people I see using the South half of the area is ZERO. That is fact. So I am another who must say that I feel that oponents of the development are constantly mis-representing the areas use to make their case. Stick to factual evidence against this idea and you will gain my respect
ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not consider the Basin the center of town. Having said that, I would love it if I lived in a town--think Swiss Alps--where a chairlift DID pick up in the center.

I can and do respect the sentiment of those who feel that the cable does not fit the vision of Hood River that they may have. I don't agree with it, but feel that it is a valid viewpoint. I do not feel that the "Public Taking" argument is valid, nor do I see much use of the Basin on any consistant basis.

Perhaps in the end it wil be a numbers game of those for "vs" those against.

Eric
johnl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAUDA wrote:
I am not necessarilly a huge proponent of this idea but I must point out that I drive by "The Basin" nearly every day. The typical number of people I see using the South half of the area is ZERO. That is fact. So I am another who must say that I feel that oponents of the development are constantly mis-representing the areas use to make their case. Stick to factual evidence against this idea and you will gain my respect

Consider Waterfront park. BEFORE they put in the swimming area, grass area, play area, and windsurfing area how many used that area? Few if any. Then it got developed and now look at it. On a windy warm day it's hard to even find parking.

The basin has the same potential when it is developed. And at some point it will be. I'm not in a hurry to have something put in that does not represent what Hood River represents to most of us. Also I'm not in favor of displacing the people who paddle in the basin so a few can pay to play.

Those of us who choose to live here because of the lifestyle and scenic quality that this town represents also choose not to have that changed by an ammusement ride down by the watefront but prefer to have it developed into an area (personally I say another park) that all can use, and not just before and after daylight.....

And the arguement that it isn't used is pretty similar to the kiters. They say nobody windsurfs at the Event site. Well on low wind days all you see is kiters so on THOSE days, their point of view is true. The same can be said of the basin. Personally however I see the kayak school (personally took a kayak class IN that basin), windsurfing schools, and SUP lessons/use there frequently. But of course, not every minute of daylight every day.....
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STAUDA wrote:

Stauda, Here's a fact for you. I view The Event Site and Spit almost every day and the typical number of people I see is Zero. Does that mean it is not regularly used?

I think it depends on when you're looking at it, and in some cases..., what it is you want to see.

So what is the "factual evidence" you feel is not being put forth by those who wish to keep all of The Basin open for all to access?

The only really valid arguments I've heard in support of building a cable-park in The Basin are:

1. I can make $ from it.
2. It would be "fun."
3. I never use it therefore it's useless to me.

In my opinion, none of these are compelling enough or justify the approval of the development given the potential negative impacts to public access, visual aesthetic, or the ecology.

If you feel the same, please comment to The Port at: http://portofhoodriver.com/waterfront/CP.php or e-mail them at: porthr@gorge.net

Learn more about this matter at: http://www.publicwaterfront.org

CU Sailin'

CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
I would not consider the Basin the center of town. Having said that, I would love it if I lived in a town--think Swiss Alps--where a chairlift DID pick up in the center.

Eric, O.K., let me re-phrase myself, "... center of Hood River's Waterfront." Having said that, I already love living in a town that offers public access to it's riverfront and I'd like to keep it that way.

If you agree with me, please let The Port know at: http://portofhoodriver.com/waterfront/CP.php or e-mail them at porthr@gorge.net.

You can also learn more about this matter at: http://www.publicwaterfront.org

CU Sailin'

ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth I applaud your efforts to fight for the vision of the Basin that you have. I have a different vision. If in the end there is no cable, but this leads to a developed park at the Basin I think that would be pretty great. A Cable as part of a park would be better yet from my perspective

Eric
scooter_bell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric,

Thanks again for sharing your view. It is important to hear all sides of the issues and I'm sure you feel the cable park would benefit the community.

I will use the ski resort/ lift analogy to explain what bugs me about the idea of a cable park. The hood river waterfront has lots of double/ black diamond "terrain". We need more bunny slopes for those who want to enjoy the waterfront but don't want to challenge themselves in the main channel of the river. If a resort had nothing but black diamond runs it would have a hard time growing its user base. We need bunny slopes to broaden our user or tourist base here in Hood River. It is insane to put all our economic eggs in the boardsports basket.

Its pretty simple really. Kiters (lets not kid ourselves, they are the overwhelming majority of the proponents who are fighting for this) want more of the waterfront dedicated to their interests. I get it. It's natural to want to have things your way and for yourself. The only problem is they are a minority in the city. The are not the majority. There are many many more people in this town who don't want to ride a wakeboard in circles but would rather sit in a tube or kayak or if they are feeling brave an SUP. This is a town of jocks I know but the entire waterfront should not revolve around them in my opinion. It doesn't make economic or public interest sense.

I too see the new waterfront park jammed packed with cars and users and see the same thing happening with the basin when it is developed. It will be different in the years to come but I'm not in a hurry to give it away to the first out of town developer who makes lots of promises of money falling from the sky.

Anywho....

Derek
Transatlantic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phazle5499 wrote:
A cable park is more like a merry-go-round than a chair lift. A chair lift transports you to the top of a hill where you get off to enjoy freely skiing on the slopes along with other users (skiers, snowboarders, telemarkers). No one rides round 'n round on a chairlift, unless they fall asleep and get sent around the bull-wheel. A cable ride goes round 'n round like a merry-go-round. No one gets off until your time is up. In the meantime, all other users of the public waters are keep out of the area (3/4 of the basin) so that a few can play.

I disagree with your comparison. It takes very little physical ability to ride a chair lift (probably more to ride a merry go round actually). Also could you please inform me where this free chairlift is? Most areas require you to have a lift ticket to ski their slopes. A chair lift charges the same way for people to enjoy the slopes as a cable charges for people to enjoy wakeboarding
and waterskiing on a body of water.

Reading this thread I get the feeling that people don't have a good idea what people can actually do on a cable so here's a video

http://vimeo.com/31635287
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Transatlantic,

You're right Dude... we should not be comparing cable-parks with chairlifts or merry-go-rounds because chairlifts and merry-go-rounds take no physical ability.

We should be comparing cable-parks with rope-tows. Wink

CUSalin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cable-Park Eval Update:

http://us5.campaign-archive2.com/?u=6f9d34d95046ab62dd90ecd47&id=b144eb1531&e=fd5541c2ce

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18

Jump to: