myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
How to add padding to board?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: How to add padding to board? Reply with quote

Anyone know if it's possible to add padding to a board with the minimun padding? My feet feel it the next day when I use a 100 L on the super low wind days like yest. at Sherman- ebbing. I don't it often enough to justify spending a lot of money on it.
carl

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything's possible with enough money or time.
Just carefully (not to damage the gelcoat) scrape off as much as you can of the old pad and install a thicker pad with quality contact cement.
damel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give some more details about the board and situation? The best place I know of to get new pads for a board is NorthShore Inc Windsurfing Pads but as you can see the pads aren't that cheap. The biggest problem is getting the old pads off the board. In my experience 1 of 2 things happen to the pads on a board over time: either they start coming off or they become a permanent part of the board. Making a change like this to a board is always risky and can result in 20x the amount of work you originally thought it would involve.

You mention that it was a strong ebb when you experienced the problem. I would recommend working with your sailing technique in ebb conditions before resorting to changing gear. Try tightening your straps a bit which should relieve some of the heal pressure that leads to stiff sailing. Also try only sailing either up wind at a reasonable speed or the path of least resistance and swell carving. Its your session make it fun I always see people charging on a reach in a strong ebb and they can only sail for less than an our until their bodies give in.

Also try some new straps if yours are old they can make a big difference.

dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just double up the pad, adding the new pad over the old with contact cement.
There's a place in NorthCarolina that everyone buys their pads from. Forgot their name. They stock all colors, all double and triple layered pads, but no sizes, only sheets.
isobras

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search the forum. Enter key words NSI pad Hood, then check the "search for all terms" block, then hit SEARCH.

I don't bother peeling off the old pads. I just buy self-stick pad material, slap it over the old CLEAN AND DRY pads, and caulk the edges.
summertime

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good suggestions everyone. I'll try the easy way first- add another layer of the self stick pads from NSI. I'll also try riding the ebb differently when going upwind. Going downwind is so smooth and you can go as fast as you want without much pounding so I get on a roll and don't want to slow down on the way back upwind. It seems like the swells are too close together to really ride between them and make headway back upwind. Seems like I have to just plow through and have a choppy ride or go slow which is kinda hum ho . Probably a glass board would be nice to have for sherman. But not many people seem to have them there. ?
gregorvass

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Staples...............

or go to PepeBoys....they still sell "old fashioned" Contact Cement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: