myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Evaluation Process for Proposed Nichols Basin Cable Park
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scooter_bell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great points Eric,

thanks for sharing.

I have to disagree with you on a few points.

The idea that your kids, who kite, would like the cable park is quite moot. Of course they would. They kite and already love boards and water sports. I have a good friend who you probably know that kites and has a son. He tells me his son will NEVER use the cable park but might be into kayaking or sup'ing if he is feeling brave. He is not an athletic kid in the same way your kids are. Lets not leave out those kids who aren't as adventurous as yours from waterfront activities. To rent a sup or kayak or bring down and float tube is very simple and much more economically feasible than a cable park at $28+ or - an hour.

We have dedicated much of our waterfront to those who are more athletically inclined than most. Its a wise tourism and economic strategy to diversify our visitor demographics. Privatizing a public river bay to please a small demographic of boardsport enthusiasts is not the way to utilize a natural resource or diversify our visitor/tourism demographics in Hood River. That does not serve our communities best interest.

To displace the small local business who already have etched out a living serving basin users and give exclusive use to an out of town developer is not only a slap in the face to those who live and work here but would seem to me political suicide. Our presentation to the port last week showed that the three businesses already using the port, in its less than desirable condition are serving arguably more people than the cable park ever would. Why would we give up our public use of the vast majority of the basin for less economic gains? It just does not add up. How many more people will those three local businesses attract when the south and west bank are developed and public access is improved beyond the gravel boat ramp that is jam packed with users on every hot day this last couple of weeks?

I have yet to hear a good reason why the entire community should give up their use rights to the vast majority of the basin so a few wakeboard/kiters can have a place to kite when there is no wind. How much of our waterfront do the kiters/wakboarders and boardsports enthusiasts need?

I appreciate the discussion and hope that people will do their homework and speak out either way.

Smile
Derek
www.publicwaterfront.org
puppydog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't we give up our "use rights" to the 3 businesses that enjoy "exclusive rights"in the basin?
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppydog wrote:
Don't we give up our "use rights" to the 3 businesses that enjoy "exclusive rights"in the basin?

No, we don't, and no business currently has exclusive use rights to The Basin.

bensound

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three current businesses just have concessions which allow them to use the basin for rentals and lessons. The general public can and does use the same water at the same time as these businesses.

There were some questions earlier about the log barrier. This plan shows the elements of the park. Log barrier is in the middle (300 feet). The two docks which run along the west and east shore are 866 feet and 826 feet long. There will be 7 in-water obstacles (sliders etc) with an average length of 47 feet.

details-of-cablepark.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.77 KB
 Viewed:  10852 Time(s)

details-of-cablepark.gif

puppydog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fence and locked gate on west side keeps the general public out, I would say thats exclusive
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Puppy.... the water around the currently fenced in area you refer to remains completely accessible to The Public. The shoreline that accesses the water on that property is a small fraction of the total shoreline and is not a good comparison to the proposed development that would restrict access to 2/3rds of The Basin.

I don't know for certain, but when the shoreline along The West side of The Basin in ultimately improved, I'm guessing some significant changes to that parcel will take place also.

I'm advocating for increased public access points along the Western shore of The Basin. Even if that parcel did not included a Public access point, there remains plenty of space for several others..., so at this time, it's not an issue with me.

What is a major issue for me is the proposal to restrict public access to 2/3rds of the most wind, wave, and current protected shoreline and waters of The Basin.

If you feel the same, please let The Port know at: http://portofhoodriver.com/waterfront/CP.php (use e-form about 1/2 way down page).

... and learn more at: http://www.publicwaterfront.org

CU Salin'

Mulekick84

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh wrote:
Quote:
I think that's what makes me the most upset about this. If the Port decides against trying a cable park it's because the people against it have gathered their support from others through lies and mis-information.

Welcome to politics!!

These guys seem to be willing to make any statement to derail the cable park.

It is a development whose time has come! It will be good for the community, the waterfront, tourism, retailers, and adrenaline junkies of all ages. win-win-win-win-win! The only ones who lose a little are the SUP'ers, who still have an enormous river to explore!

Last edited by Mulekick84 on Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ericandholly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mt Hood Meadows and just about every other ski resort in the States is also a "Taking of Public" use. From where I sit the "Cable Taking" is a benefit, just as the Heather lift is.
CUSalin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ericandholly wrote:
Mt Hood Meadows and just about every other ski resort in the States is also a "Taking of Public" use. From where I sit the "Cable Taking" is a benefit, just as the Heather lift is.

ericandholly - The major distinction between the cable-park proposal and Mt. Hood Meadows is that Mt. Hood Meadows is not in the middle of town, nor does it take up 2/3rds of The National Forest.

I believe that if there were a proposal to construct a ski area in the middle of town, or a cable-park in Lost Lake, they would both face major opposition also. Smile

CU Salin'

phazle5499

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cable park is more like a merry-go-round than a chair lift. A chair lift transports you to the top of a hill where you get off to enjoy freely skiing on the slopes along with other users (skiers, snowboarders, telemarkers). No one rides round 'n round on a chairlift, unless they fall asleep and get sent around the bull-wheel. A cable ride goes round 'n round like a merry-go-round. No one gets off until your time is up. In the meantime, all other users of the public waters are keep out of the area (3/4 of the basin) so that a few can play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 14 of 18

Jump to: