myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best Sail Repair Tape?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skrajicek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try KITEAID's Clear Sail tape.
It is super stiff and strong and won't stretch like tear-aid will.
Packing tape uses a rubber based adhesive that will yellow and dry up quickly. not good!
It is not on the website yet but is being sold in stores as of now.
I am sure I can get you some for a good price Wink
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: best sail tape is Dacron Reply with quote

They use white Dacron tape @ North Sails Repair shop for small fixes. tape both sides and radius the corners - 2" RAD. so the wind does not pull the tape back, I've purchased the Dacron in smaller rolls as well as in yard wide sheets for larger problems and it lasts longer than the sail, just have to minimize the air bubbles when you apply it to clean Mylar
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: best sail tape is Dacron Reply with quote

DAVIBO wrote:
They use white Dacron tape @ North Sails Repair shop for small fixes. tape both sides and radius the corners - 2" RAD. so the wind does not pull the tape back, I've purchased the Dacron in smaller rolls as well as in yard wide sheets for larger problems and it lasts longer than the sail, just have to minimize the air bubbles when you apply it to clean Mylar

Yup, this stuff works well and I've used it for "permanent" repairs on small tears. I have one sail where its lasted at least three seasons. My problem: where to find it. I asked at my local sail repair shop for some and the guy got all butt-hurt about giving it up. I guess he knew, we'd never need him with our own supply of dacron tape.

Anyone been able to purchase this stuff?
DAVIBO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: Sail Tape Reply with quote

got the roll of Dacron Tape from West Marine I think and the yard wide roll from Hood Sails in Sausalito (if they are still around), but I think you can get it from anybody....most lofts are so busy w/ the Am.Cup that they would rather have you do it yourself so they can concentrate on the big sails where they make their most $
gerritt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I contacted this guy and bought some of his stuff. I'll report back on how it works. Link below:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22110
gerritt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I applied the repair tape, which is linked above. The rip is on the foot of my sail, so abrasion from the board surface is any issue. So far after two uses, one on bay and one in the surf, the stuff is holding strong!
hochuli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using 'greenhouse repair tape' for years now. It helped some old sails last a lot longer than they should have. I want to stretch my sail life as far as I can.

The stuff is UV inhibited and comes in 4", 6" and 10" widths.

If you blow out a panel, then you need a pro, this is good for the small stuff.
3-phase

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the sail repair tape from ed local on stock in LA you can order it by the foot from www.windsurfdeal.com or check with Ron on the beach he has a couple feet in the Van. Best I used so far USA made the real thing haha .

Jurg

www.windsurfdeal.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see if I can find the thread, this poster sold some great tape, so much did I like it I ordered it again.

ed@photoglow.com

I have found that TYVEK , BY DUPONT WORKS WELL, you can get it at Home Depot, its used to secure housing insulation.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: