myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Too much ibuprofen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldhr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Do you warmup before you sail? Or do you drive in your car, rig a sail and get on the water immediately without doing any warmup exercises?
After you rig your sail try doing 20 or 30 lunges. Do some jumping jacks, squats, or military presses.

2. Get a large pad from NSI and apply it over your existing pads.
I used double pads on all my boards and it helps a lot.

2. Strengthen your legs.
Do lunges, squats, etc.
Get the P90X workout DVDs. Do the plyometric exercuses.
geohaye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see some alternative suggestions voiced here. Also, Joint Juice seems to work for me (they sell it at Costco). The pill forms of Glucosamine and Chondroitin drive my stomach absolutely insane for many hours, but the Joint Juice form of those substances is as easy on my system as a glass of water.

RE IBUPROFIN:
Routinely taking large doses of Ibuprofen also:

1.) Can easily lead to stomach ulcers

2.) Can thin your blood to the point where an otherwise fairly-routine blow to the body --or particularly to the head-- can be much more dangerous. We all get banged up windsurfing, sometimes really clocking ourselves on the head... That can become a serious issue very quickly if you have taken a ton of IBU recently and have thus thinned your blood in a major way.
KevinL

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And using the right harness, whether seat or waist makes a big difference!
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so let me bring back the asymmetry element that recently popped up in another post and that also relates to the extended discussion here.  I also tune my harness lines (nudge them forward or back) to keep effort off my arms/grip. I find I do this on my first runs of the day and then whenever the wind picks up or drops off a good bit, but not enough for me to take the effort to re-rig or call it quits.  Generally, the harness on the starboard side ends up at a different distance from the mast than the harness on the port side (the asymmetry that I and others note).  I have assumed this is due to water conditions (i.e., the swell or chop is not parallel to the wind), so some force must need to be balanced differently on the sail.  In fact, when I've had time to experiment, I've found that my optimal "locked-in" position has also resulted in me putting the footstraps in slightly different positions on the starboard and port sides.  I certainly don't fret about this; I just do what feels right, but, I have wondered if the water swell/chop is what causes the difference or if it's really just me that is asymmetric.  I suppose I could answer the question by finding and sailing flat water, but I'm almost always in chop.
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justall wrote:
I have wondered if the water swell/chop is what causes the difference or if it's really just me that is asymmetric.

With some thought, but not really close or universal observation, I concluded long ago that the wind and wind-generated swell seldom line up as expected. That's my excuse, but my faith in it is shaken every time I can't plane on starboard but can on port, using the harness both ways. Some day I oughtta look into it more closely in case I'm missing a couple of knots of speed or slogging unnecessarily. Every time I line 'em up symmetrically, asymmetric arm pull says "BRAAAAANGH! WRONG ANSWER!" and I tweaks 'em right back where they were. Which asymmetry comes first ... the swell's or our own?

Note to myself: I DO sail differently on port vs starboard, tending to jump more on port but better on starboard, slashing much more aggressively on port than starboard ... is it me or is it my harness line placement? Would balancing our lines balance our sailing? Is it goofyfoot or goofyharnesslines that makes us better on one side?
justall

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobras wrote:
Which asymmetry comes first ... the swell's or our ownside?

Right ... I'd vote swell's, but a few a weeks ago I was following some other windsurfers who were pulling away from me. I think they had larger sails, but it did get me a'wonder'n if I was losing efficiency somwhere. I did pass the kiter, though ... which always brings me joy.
jimoakes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a mark on my booms 29" back from the mast center. I move my harness lines while I'm sailing to the exact center of effort and look at the mark for reference. I find the lines when I'm sailing on starboard centered about 1" further forward than on port.
I think this is caused by the battens being applied to one side of our sails so the draft is asymmetrical.
jgda

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: ibuprofen Reply with quote

Max dose is 2. grams per day, period, and you would only want to do this for a few weeks max. Agree with others regarding physical therapy etc.
justall

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimoak wrote:

I think this is caused by the battens being applied to one side of our sails so the draft is asymmetrical.

I'll have to have a closer look at my sails. I'm going to do some experimentation on this ... if a breeze ever again comes through my region on a weekend.
windyrhythms

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take up kiting. Oh I know I'm gonna get a whole load of flack for this one. But REALLY it is easier on the body.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: