myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Clavical joint strain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:47 am    Post subject: Clavical joint strain Reply with quote

Attempting to waterstart in marginal conditions with an 8M sail, hanging off the boom with one foot on the board and being dragged slowly downwind suddenly a gust pulls me up but the mast slings forward and my back hand comes loose, still hanging on with my front hand, the power of the sail apparently overstretched my arm straight forward as if someone grabbed my arm and pulled it straight away from my body.
Instead of my shoulder tearing apart, my clavicle which connects from the shoulder blade to the front rib cage has strained the ligaments at each connecting end according to the Dr.
I can really feel it when beach starting or trying to waterstart which I cannot do reliably.
Has anyone else experienced this type of injury and what should I expect? Sad
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My R clavicle's slop draws big-eyed laughter from the physical therapist clinic's staff. I've had many R and L shoulder injuries, including clavicle separation (A/C separations) on both shoulders decades ago. They hurt for several weeks and they're still visible even through a T shirt, but as long as I keep my shoulders strong they're not a problem. I'm guessing your doc sad to let pain be your guide, and one or two PT sessions may be enough to learn how to keep your shoulders stronger to support the weakened joint.
SPQR

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to change the topic, but you are in Kauai right? What beach were you using an 8m sail?
spennie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the same thing tubing behind a friend's boat and ISOBRAS is correct, hurts for a short while, looks funny forever, but causes no problems.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SPQR wrote:
Not to change the topic, but you are in Kauai right? What beach were you using an 8m sail?

Anini and middles at Hanalei.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sport is hard on the shoulders I'm discovering, never had any shoulder problems my whole life playing every sport imaginable.
Then last year it was pain in both shoulders from paddling 6 man outrigger and now this. Perhaps I'm just getting old Mad
isobras

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That, or you're not letting your harness do enough of the work. How'd that work out for Craig Masonville?
WutUpWitU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, there are two joints, medial and distal on the ends of the clavicle. It is difficult but not impossible to injure both badly at the same time. It will take a ligament about 9 months to heal, about 6 months to 90%. Any further injury will, of course add to that. There are way to enhance the healing process like proper nutrition and making sure all the muscles in the area are balanced and functioning properly to decrease stress to the joints and increase blood flow. Also, although most people dismiss it as nonsense, using magnets properly can also decrease healing times. Find some one that knows a bit about sports injuries and make your life better faster.
sunchips

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobras and WATUPWITU have the gist of it. I have a full A/C separation in my left shoulder, which has unfortunately put an end to a some of my favourite activities. I have found though that if you put the time in to rehab it and keep your shoulder strong, you can do quite a bit more than you might imagine.
I don't windsurf as often as I used to, partially as a result of the shoulder (I am not very efficient yet, so I put more pressure on my arms and shoulders than I should), but rehab and keep your shoulder strong, listen to your body, and be smart about it, and you will be windsurfing for many years to come, should you choose to.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Key is to listen to your body.
If it hurts brushing your teeth, probably better to reserve windsurfing for tame days of 14-22 and 5.5 sails.
If it feels good enough to paint above your head, you're good to go, as long as you have some brains to back off when there's too much stress.
In your accident, you did not employ much smarts. You should have let go with both hands.
I've broken my clavicle 4 times. Have had 3 separates of the shoulders, and a one dislocate each side. Every single time, I was able to either race motocross, race roadracing, or continue windsurfing within 22 days, or less.
But you gotta say "let go" when conditions are beyond your physical limits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: